z

Young Writers Society

I need some help

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:36 am
View Likes
Storygirl95 says...

Okay, guys. I never thought a day would come when I'd ask for something like this. Please don't judge me haha.

I need some help with incorporating a story element. I am aware that, as a writer, I should know how to do this. It's a little disconcerting that I don't just know how to do it myself.

Here's the deal. The conflict in my romance novel is that the main character doesn't want to let anyone in since her father died. She's scared she'll lose someone she loves again. She plays it off, goes on dates with guys she isn't too serious about. But when she finds the one she might be meant to be with, she falls for him. She's torn between the love and fear she feels of the relationship either failing or losing the guy.

My question is: How do I incorporate this? It can't all be in one scene, but I don't want them to break up twenty times while the male character just has to sit there and take that. That's unrealistic.

If I just put her anxieties in her thoughts, how do I keep it threading through the story without it seeming repetitive? And how do I balance her ecstatic feelings of warmth as their romance progresses and the fear that the she's losing her ability to keep him out of her heart? It's two very conflicting things and I'm having a hard time representing both.

Any ideas?

Once again, I'm sorry for asking such a long and amateur question. I've never done anything so in depth in the romance genre before. Usually my conflicts come in the form of people trying to kill the characters. Just something exterior based. So this is pretty new to me.
Johnny was a chemist's son but Johnny is no more, for what Johnny thought was H2O was H2SO4. :wink:

173 Reviews

Reviews: 173
Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:55 am
View Likes
fukase says...

Greetings.

I can't help much but I advise you to let go of all the things you planned. However, don't forget them. Keep them in mind.

You can take an intimidating story one step at a time.
Start where you're most comfortable. Often, once you have some of you ideas written, one will lead to another. Sometimes, you will think of some
extraordinary ideas that will keep your story long. Time makes all the differences. Relax.

Don't make your outlines your burden.
This is why outline dangerous.

You'll never know what lies ahead because writing is a magic process.
Write and you'll know.
Not write and you won't know.

Take a deep breath.

~Memo
I love Koku.
He is damn cute and should be the main character
and not some lazy old man that supposedly genius but a sucker in his own life.
Koku is Koku.
Koku is CUTE.
~ B-The Beginning (A Netflix Anime.)

42 Reviews

Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:00 am
Storygirl95 says...

Thank you for your reminder to breathe haha. I needed that. :D

The place I'm most comfortable with actually happens to be where the story is planned to go. I have the climax and resolution written, and I'm happy with them. The beginning and a scene around the middle is also done. It's just everything else in between that scene on both sides.

I'll just keep breathing and writing. Hopefully it'll work itself out haha. :P
Johnny was a chemist's son but Johnny is no more, for what Johnny thought was H2O was H2SO4. :wink:

173 Reviews

Reviews: 173
Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:11 am
fukase says...

Sorry to hear that.

I don't do romance much, so I can't really help.
Romance makes me... confused.

~Memo
I love Koku.
He is damn cute and should be the main character
and not some lazy old man that supposedly genius but a sucker in his own life.
Koku is Koku.
Koku is CUTE.
~ B-The Beginning (A Netflix Anime.)

42 Reviews

Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:32 am
Storygirl95 says...

It's okay. Such is the life of authors, right? Hehehe, write? :P

Don't worry. You did actually help me. I've been feeling hung up on those parts so I've been trying to avoid little scenes in the middle or near the end because I felt I should have the character development down to write them. It's reassuring to just write the parts as they come and not worry about where the section 1/4 of the way through is written now or when I've finished everything else in the novel.

Romance confuses me too hahaha. Hence the question. :D

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:07 am
View Likes
Lightsong says...

Put another love interest and makes it a love triangle. ;) Just kidding. You do have to put in something that is continuous in this story. I mean, here you've touched up well in the girl part but how about the boy part? What does his family think about him dating a girl with no father? Does her reputation matter? How about financial status? All these can be problems your boy needs to overcome throughout the novel.

Also, how about the girl's mom? Does she feel threatened having this boy intruding their two little lives? Does she get jealous with the attention the girl gives to her boy? How is her relationship with her daughter after her husband's death? A romantic novel doesn't mean it has to be all romantic. You can add in the value of family, which I think would be important for a father-less girl.

Also, the girl's anxieties can't just limited to people. The whole concept of existence can take an entirely different meaning to her.

That's all I can say. Think bigger, explore more. Above all, write. ;)
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:29 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

Honestly, it will take a lot of trail and error, but that's just part of the writing process. So much depends on your style, voice, the characters, etc. that it's hard to give a "do this" answer. What I would do is write how you feel it should be and not worry if it's "right" or "good". You won't know if either of those things are true until you're finished and can see it as a whole. Then you'll be able to pinpoint what works and what doesn't and you can tweak from there. Once you're ready to have people review it, you can also tell people these are the kinds of things you'd really like opinions about so people can weigh in on if it works for them with the material in front of them.

Contemporary YA romance (which is what this sounds like) is my very favorite thing to both read and write, so a couple of general ideas/thoughts based on what you've said:

1. The main plot-line here is this developing relationship with new guy, right? So all of the stuff with her dad and all of the stuff with these other guys she's dated is more back story, right? Don't spend very much time on the dad stuff or the other guy stuff in the beginning. If this new guy is what the majority of the book is going to be about, that's what I want to read about. So introduce him early so you have lots of time to develop their relationship and make it feel real. You can add in back story about the dad or all of the guys she's been with throughout the story.

2. If the story is in first person, I want to hear all of her thoughts and anxieties. I know in YA voice is soooo important and your MC's inner monologue is really important for this. Gimme all da thoughts :)

3. As for the conflicting feelings, everyone has conflicting feelings (especially teenagers). I don't think it will feel unrealistic or confusing as long as you explain why she's feeling what she's feeling and why she flip flops. That's supported through plot and action.

But seriously, it's very hard to know what works and doesn't without material, so I would write how you feel it should be and then once you have a finished product you can tweak as needed. That's the beauty of writing - you can always change things if you don't like it :) And once you have a draft (or even as you're going), I would be happy to help you edit! As I said before, contemporary YA romance is my absolute favorite :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:21 pm
View Likes
Ronald559 says...

First of all doesn't matter who you are, you are always going to need help with elements in your story. No one is a genius. Things come to you at the strangest moments, that's why writers are observers. We need to observe to sort of come up with some ideas. Here's a sure fire way.
Think really hard about this thing, and think about it for like an hour. Keep it in your mind and then forget about it. Go on with your day. Live up the weekend, or go through the mundane week. Before long you'll find your answer.

Also to answer you specifically. How do you show internal conflict? Think of the words a push and pull. Simple. When you want her to pull the romantic interest, pull him, and when you want her to push, push him away.
Show it by how much attention and priority she puts on this guy. If their's less priority, then the reader can see she's pushing him away.
Events in the characters lives can cause problems as well. Someone is going on a week long vacation, etc.

I think also for love their needs to be some storyline happening behind it. Talk about mourning, show the family smothering this girl. Show the grief not the love. Love is the brief moments in our lives when we feel we're not alone.
Hope this helped. —Ronald

42 Reviews

Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:36 pm
View Likes
Storygirl95 says...

@Lightsong thanks for the suggestions! I appreciate them. They're very helpful. :D
@Carlito thank you as well for your ideas! All of the things you listed give me guidance on the things I needed. You're magical. :D
The two characters are in their mid-twenties, but there's still sort of a YA feel about it. Have you ever heard of the genre New Adult? I feel like it might be in there.
P.S. If I ever finish I would be ecstatic to share it with you. :)
And of course @Ronald559 your kind words warm my heart. I was feeling really incompetent to have to ask and you reassured me. :D
I appreciate your advice. ^_^

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:51 pm
Carlito says...

@Storygirl95 you're so welcome! I'm familiar with NA (although not as much as YA). I agree, if they're in their 20s I would call in NA. I'll still be happy to read it once you're done! :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:00 pm
Lightsong says...

You're welcome! I didn't know NA exist, by the way. :D
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

An existential crisis a day keeps the writer's block away <3
— LadyBug