z

Young Writers Society

Flashbacks

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:11 pm
LittleFox says...

Hi guys :D
So I've come to a point where I need a little flashback, but I don't know how to introduce it, so I'd love some advice!
I wouldn't have much trouble if this were told in first person, but this is in third person so it makes it harder. For me at least haha. It needs to happen sort of in the middle of the chapter where the characters go to a place that reminds them of this memory. I've never used flash backs so this is new territory to me. If you guys have any tips on transitioning into one or just have tips for flashbacks in general I would really appreciate it!
"What's 'taters, Precious?"

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:39 pm
TheSilverFox says...

Heh, I have the opposite problem, actually - almost all of my flashbacks have been third-person, and I can't do a first-person flashback well. XD

Anyways, I do have a couple of tips concerning introducing a flashback. As a side note, I don't have too many experiences with them, so I can't exactly profess to being the most knowledgeable person on the topic; thus, feel free to disregard my advice as you wish. But I suppose I'm straying from the point. Thus, here are my tips:

1. Have the character drift into the flashback.

This is what I most commonly do before I begin a flashback. I like to mention my character's mind starting to work at the sight of a particular scene/object/concept that invokes the flashback. Then, I usually go on to discuss something about the memory appearing in the character's mind, followed by the character trying to focus on that memory, or the memory growing and building strength and vividness in the character. Then, when the memory arrives, I usually separate both ends of the flashback from the rest of the story with a few asterisk ("****," or something like that), and go on to describe the flashback. It's a nice method to me because it allows me to transition into the flashback without making it feel like the reader is being forcefully dragged from one setting to another. I can slowly move towards the flashback, give the reader time to comprehend the meaning of what may be happening next, and then communicate from it the point that I'm trying to get across by implementing it.

But, of course, there is another method that I know of, and I also recommend using it. It is...

Intersperse the flashback in the character's mind.

By this, I mean something along the lines of this: Your character sees the trigger. A memory begins to play in their head. A small scene at first, broken up by the character's other thoughts. In particular, they might be surprised by the memory, or confused by it, or even angry (especially if it is a dark flashback). Their mind might be racing with questions, and unsure of what happens next. Then, more of it plays, and the scenes grow longer and longer. Before he/she/they know it, the character is absolutely immersed in the flashback.

^ I also suggest this. While it is recommended that you separate the flashback description from the rest of the story through the usage of italics, bolded words, or whatever other means that distinguishes the particular set of words from the others, it adds a bit of excitement to the story. When the memory comes, it leaves your readers surprised, but interested in seeing what happens next. They are struck by a sense of curiosity, given the quick nature of the opening to the flashback, and want to learn more about it. Thus, you can accomplish your flashback's goals effectively with this method as well.

...and that's about it. I hope this helped! :D
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind