z

Young Writers Society

Write on English

Reviews: 0
Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:43 pm
ellenklara says...

I'm from Sweden so I won't say that I'm good at English. I want to write on English but it's hard. My Swedish is very good, if I can say it myself, but I want to be an author and Swedish authors aren't very successful. Does anyone have any tips?

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:47 pm
backroadstraveler says...

English is a weird language, and the every-day slang that different people use makes it more difficult to follow. I would recommend reading a lot of books written/ translated into English. If you get comfortable reading someone else's flow or with the different speech patterns seen in the characters, it should impact your own writing.
Let me know if you end up with any specific questions; what you're doing is amazing! I can't imagine having to use a different language to reach an audience!
Eggs are scrambled, eyes are addled, and brains should never be eaten

-The Lady Peg

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:02 pm
Lefty says...

I think reading books that were originally written in English and possibly watching some Movies or TV Shows in filmed in English would be extremely helpful with learning more about writing in English and learning more of the slang.
Hear me out, there's so much more to life than what you're feeling now. Someday you'll look back on all these days, and all this pain is gonna be invisible. - Hunter Hayes

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:35 am
View Likes
Lightsong says...

Since English is my second language, I totally can relate with you. However, speaking and writing in English might not be as hard as you imagine it to be. Like Dennis has said, being an environment that encourages the use of English helps. Closest help you can get is to get around those who speak English. For example, I have many friends that can speak English fluently, and by joining their conversation, I'm obliged to also speak in English. This practice makes me comfortable speaking English, and improve the way I speak in it.

Writing in English can be improved in more ways than speaking. When writing, you don't actually put down your thoughts. Some times you take a while to think before writing it down. Also, when you think something is wrong, you can erase it. Rereading your piece and finding its mistakes can improve your writing skills. Reading more and more books that have strong writing skills and styles would help you to make a style and skill of your own.
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

Random avatar

Reviews: 139
Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:26 am
deleted21 says...

I think I know where you're coming from but again, I can say, you're not in that much disadvantaged stage. What you could do is, read English stuff more. Not necessarily you'll have to read Shakespeare, you can read anything! Say, comics, magazine, anything! Watch movies and listen to more English songs-all that will make you curious about the language. Then, grammar is a crucial part of any language and more or less everyone face difficulties with it when writing. So, practice, write more often and enjoy the process!

All the best~

I think the best thing about making it into the quote generator is when nobody tells you, so one day you're just scrolling and voila, some phenomenally inane thing that crawled out of your dying synapses and immediately regretted being born the second it made contact with the air has been archived for all time. Or worse, a remark of only average inanity. Never tell me when you've put me in the generator. Pride-tinged regret just doesn't taste the same without the spice of surprise.
— SirenCymbaline