z

Young Writers Society

Reviewing your own work.

173 Reviews

Reviews: 173
Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:37 am
fukase says...

Greetings.

Reviewing your own work. Wow, not too shabby. This sounds really hard and sometimes, weird, for many people especially for junior writers. This topic is actually important for them too. Therefore, this quick guide will go thoroughly on how to review your work to your fullest or rather, like you that review to others. Here are some ideas I know about this issue.

First, basically, this leads down to one solution. Treat your work as a stone you could find by walking through the poetry or short story sections. This stone is totally a random work to you. You read it like the first time. This part is particularly hard especially when you know this is yours, but please just take a deep breath and do your normal review style. Do flatter and do complaint and do critique. If your review is normally short, do it short. Don't be a hypocrite by writing surprisingly long review when you actually just write a paragraph for your normal-everyday review. Don't and don't and don't ever do that!

If you found yourself puzzled or confused to review, it's completely normal because we are the one that created it, we are the one that knows almost everything in it. The reasons. The stories behind. The inspirations. That's why we couldn't do it because we know too much in it and we probably had expressed ourselves to its fullest, making we feel the lack for words. Don't give up so early. Review is actually easier when we know about it. However, make yourself feeling that the work is just related to you, but not actually made by you. Weird, but true enough. A weirder thing to say, I think, is, please, you don't admit this is your work. I seriously hate someone like that. Think for a second, what's the feelings of your work. Think it as a living and need to be respected. Honesty is vital. And that goes the same for reviewing others' work.

I know I've been spinning on the same facts all over again. These facts are important; that's why I stressed on them. I repeat, take a deep breath and do your normal review style. However, don't take a deep breath too seriously. Honestly, it will make you more nervous. Don't read this because you are searching to improve your reviewing skills. But don't be shy to ask that. These are some super-duper-how-to-review examples. (THE LINKS HERE.) To be frank, all of them are awesome! I often use them as a quick guide for me before reviewing especially to produce good reviews. I particularly love the sandwich by Nate.

So, that actually wraps up all this reviewing your own work. Simple, the thing you need to know is just think of your work as not truly your work. It is completely unknown to you. Don't look only on a part but look at the things beyond it. Review like normal. Nothing needs to be destroyed for reviewing your own work. Careful not to sweat your fingers!
I love Koku.
He is damn cute and should be the main character
and not some lazy old man that supposedly genius but a sucker in his own life.
Koku is Koku.
Koku is CUTE.
~ B-The Beginning (A Netflix Anime.)

173 Reviews

Reviews: 173
Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:37 am
fukase says...

Misc. Part One

I got a funny idea…

Revising = Reviewing

Will become…

WRONG = ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?

Aha!

Reviewing your work and revising your work aren't same. Think of revising as adding sugar because you feel your tea is so bitter and think of reviewing as seeing again why and what makes your tea is so bitter or so better. Simple, to me revising is a process after reviewing. Without getting review or making review about your work, how could you actually identify your mistakes?

Misc. Part Two

Another funny idea…

Reviewing ‒ Revising

Will become…

USELESS = DON'T YOU FEEL OVERDOING IT?

Aha?

Reviewing without revising seems to be so weird. Don't you feel so? First, it's because review is exist to revise. So, if revise don't exist, review is only just for self-satisfying and shows and these are useless. Don't you feel overdoing it? So, to fellow writers, reviews can't be subtracted by revise. Don't make any review, if you don't going to revise it. The main purpose of reviewing your own work is to revise. And if you review others' work, you are actually improving yourself. So any reviews aren't for nothing. And don't make it like it is nothing.

Misc. Part Three

Another, another funny idea…

Reviewing other's work ≠ Reviewing your own work

Will become…

HYPOCRITE = YOU ARE MORE FOOLISH THAN YOU THOUGHT YOU ARE

Ah.

This seems the same with some of the part I explained to you earlier. Why do we need the divergences in writing of what are ours and what aren't? The things are quite equal actually. Of course, I don't say that they are the same but try not to do that. If we make review that we actually don't feel honest and true about it, what are the use of that. They aren't just hypocrite, but also wrong and useless. You just tried something rather bizarre.

Misc. Part Four

I just got this idea. This is different than the others above and perhaps, interesting…

Review your own work after you published it into public or into YWS.

Roar!

I know the term "after" is weird but I think this is a good time for us to truly improve our reviewing skill and of course, other skills as well. At the time we are reviewing our work, others are already started to read your work, to like your work and to review your work. I've never tried it yet on YWS and I think this is a good thing to do. We ought to get points in it, but we don't make review to get points. To me, it is plain wrong. And getting points are always good.

Thanks for reading.
—Nicol®

Reviews are muscles. They tend to grow better and more helpful for anyone especially for you that writes them. Imagine, if you write a review for yourself, you are more than genius and stronger than those who called themselves muscles-builder. Reviews help in many mysterious ways.
—Nicol
I love Koku.
He is damn cute and should be the main character
and not some lazy old man that supposedly genius but a sucker in his own life.
Koku is Koku.
Koku is CUTE.
~ B-The Beginning (A Netflix Anime.)

What's the point of being a grown-up if you can't be a bit childish sometimes?
— 4th Doctor