z

Young Writers Society

Writing a land deed

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:58 pm
Stori says...

I'd like some assistance for a Skyrim mod in progress. The idea is that the player, in clearing out Embershard Mine, comes across a land deed. On the showing it to the proper authority, they're then granted ownership of said mine.

That's the background. Now I'd like some examples of land deeds to pattern my fictional one after. Anyone?
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:53 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

Firstly: I doubt that in a place like Skyrim, they'd have deeds that look anything like what have been used in recent years. Considering their technological development level, I'm assuming you mean deeds that look similar to those that would have been signed in, being generous, the early settler periods of America?

Secondly: What you see on a deed, modern or older, might not all necessarily fit into the information one might see in Skyrim (or a Skyrim mod). Some deeds today change form based on the land and property being traded.

Generally, deeds are used as a proof of contract and delivery on that contract. In the modern world, for someone to claim ownership to something, their name should be either on the deed or on a contract to the deed. Obviously, this isn't the case in your mod, so we'll scratch that out.

Other than that, deeds may contain the name of the property, a unique description of the property, the assumed monetary value of the property, or anything like that which sets it apart from all the other bits of land around it. You can find a thousand examples (like this one) if you Google "property deed".
stay off the faerie paths

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:29 pm
Kale says...

Skyrim already has land deeds (if you have Hearthfire). They're called charters in-game, and here's the text of one: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Lake ... or_Charter
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.
— Stanislaw Jerszy Lec