z

Young Writers Society

How do I stick to a novel/idea?

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:47 pm
View Likes
artybirdy says...

I'm not sure if there's a thread on this topic. If there is, please link me to it.

The Problem: I have a major problem. I can't stick to any idea/novel. I grow bored of it too soon, or when in its earlier stages.

What I Did: I planned a lot and in-depth. Other times, I just outlined and kept it brief. Both methods didn't help. I have also experimented with short stories/poems to keep the creativity flowing, and I liked it. However, now I want to become serious about writing and move on to working on novels.

Any suggestions/tips/help will be hugely appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by artybirdy on Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
[center]Previously known as ArtStyx[/center]

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:47 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Figure out what's the single coolest thing that could happen next. Something you absolutely have to get on the page because it'll be fun to write and throw a huge wrench into the plot and force your character to make delicious choices.

Repeat until finished.

This is basically how I write— I come up with this super awesome cannot wait to write plot point and stuff it in the story. Then I find the next super awesome thing that could happen. And I keep bouncing along that way to basically keep my interest up. I get bored very quickly, myself, and it's basically non stop incentive to keep writing. I want to get the next cool part out on the page.

Helps readers stay engaged, too, because when you're interested in it, people can feel it and get interested, too.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:11 am
View Likes
Inspiredravens says...

That happened to me on my first novel. What I ended up doing was using it as my experiment piece. I went all over the map with it, did different things with my characters, then I put it away for a while. Remember that writing is always a work in progress!

After I pulled it back out again I started completely over, same characters and everything, they might just meet a different way. But that second time around you can generally keep it straight. One goal, several ways to get there, but you get to pick. Just don't go more than two different ways- keep it simple and don't give up!
~Jeremiah 29:11~

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:40 pm
View Likes
GoldFlame says...

I find this article to be really helpful, if you're looking for motivation.

You can also check out Writing Tutorials for tips to plot, edit, revise, and break writer's block.

My best advice is a second party. If you tend to abandon novels, get a friend who'll read each part as you turn it out. Even just hold a competition with another writer. Do whatever you can to spur yourself to write another chapter, and then another.

You can set goals for word count, as well; NaNoWriMo is good at helping you achieve those goals.
“He leant tensely against the wall and frowned like a man trying to unbend a corkscrew by telekinesis.” – Douglas Adams

264 Reviews

Reviews: 264
Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:48 pm
View Likes
Megrim says...

You may not be a plotter. I know some people feel like if they plan out what's going to happen, they lose the need to write it, or it takes all the surprise and fun out of it. You could try pantsing/discovery writing, where you develop it as you go along. Song of Ice and Fire was written this way. Obviously stuff changes as you learn more about where you're going, but that's what edits are for!

Sometimes people force themselves into some kind of routine for the sake of training up discipline, like "I'm going to write 250/500/1000/2000 words a day." I personally don't like forcing myself to write because I get burnt out faster, feeling like I'm writing crap and that makes me lose even more interest in the story.

My suggestion is figure out why you're bored of the story. For me, I find if I'm losing interest, it's ALWAYS because I haven't made something interesting enough. Like I have this one where the MC was this nice, compassionate person living a normal life. He had goals, and the plot he encountered was exciting, but I always felt bored with the story until I realised that even though there's external conflict, the character had no inner conflict or tension. So I gave him a big secret, something he has to keep from everyone, including his best friend, and now I find myself compelled to find out what happens. Who finds out? How do they find out? Same thing with plots--sometimes I need to get the characters from point A to point B, and I'm like "ugh why is this so boring." It's because the scene didn't have any tension or excitement, and usually throwing a wrench into the works fixes it. Even if it's only a tiny thing!

If things are going well for the characters, see what you can do to give them something to worry about. If things are going poorly but you're still bored, maybe it needs a twist, something unexpected. Role reversal goes a long way with me. Like the soldier dude comes to rescue the woman from the terrorist attack, but he's actually a pretty new recruit and she's a tough chick so she ends up saving HIM. Maybe the wisened mentor is the sarcastic flippant one, and the youth he's training takes life more seriously. Whatever traits or jobs your characters have, you could try swapping them. It usually ends up exciting!

May you never steal, lie, or cheat. But if you must steal, then steal away my sorrows. And if you must lie, then lie with me all the nights of your life. And if you must cheat, then please, cheat death.
— An Unknown Bride, Leap Year