z

Young Writers Society

Tips Wanted for Writing a Science Fiction Novel

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sat May 02, 2015 8:07 am
TheMastermind says...

Ok, so I've been working on and off on sci fi novel of mine and want some info related to space sci fi concepts like wormholes.

347 Reviews

Reviews: 347
Sat May 02, 2015 10:10 am
View Likes
OliveDreams says...

Hi :)

I know nothing about wormholes so I've found you some useful websites on the subject.

What is a Wormhole?
What is a Black Hole?
Science Fiction Themes
SciFi Ideas

Good Luck! Hopefully, another member will have a lot more technical knowledge of the SciFi world!

Olive <3

EDIT: Make sure you know everything there is to know about your world. Why, who, what, when! Every questions a reader could ever possibly ask you, you need a confident, strong answer!!
"There is a dead spot in the night, that coldest, blackest time when the world has forgotten evening and dawn is not yet a promise."

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Mon May 04, 2015 5:02 am
Zolen says...

If you want some Sci-fi advice, never explain your concepts otherwise people who know their sciences better then you will call out your errors or question your logic.

If you actually want to know science. google. Or read my wall, its full of edumacation on science. I am serious about this, if you want indistinct science look at my wall or just stumble around random scientific youtube channels. Best way to find out new information you might have not even thought about investing in is random bumbling about.
Last edited by Zolen on Thu May 07, 2015 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Thu May 07, 2015 3:12 am
Kale says...

Sci-fi is an incredibly broad genre, and science itself is immensely huge. It would help if you could be more specific about which areas you want tips and information on. Do you need non-technical explanations about various scientific things? Are you looking for advice on writing techniques? Are you looking to avoid common tropes or embrace them? Do you need help with your worldbuilding?

The more specific you are, the easier it will be to help.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed May 13, 2015 2:35 pm
Octaclepassing says...

Is this hard sci fi or soft sci fi?
If this is hard sci fi then I'd suggest going to research the technical aspect of wormholes and the scientific information to make your story associated with that. If it is soft, then this is the opposite. Do you mean you want to use this as a device for the story? Soft sci fi barely involves much information. It's just elements of it used, the story is the main focus though or the characters or ideas. It's not much of the realistic aspect.
SO it depends... which one are you aiming? If you could tell me then I'd might dig into it.
Also do you mean that you want to know the the cliches of using a wormhole in your story or how to use it uniquely? This is also is important if you don't want the story a repetition of others.

264 Reviews

Reviews: 264
Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:37 pm
View Likes
Megrim says...

The best advice I can give is that even though it's science fiction, it's first and foremost a story. About people. Never forget your characters or let them fade into the background.

Space is awesome and that's why we make it our setting, and it's so exciting to think about what technology or culture might be like in the future, or on different worlds. But that's all backdrop. The story's about a character. So much sci-fi seems to lean towards "listen to all my cool ideas," or "here's a lecture about how this space station/colony ship/society is designed." Yes that's all very cool and interesting, but I read looking for emotional investment. I want someone to love and root for and worry for and be excited for. Nobody wants a diatribe on scientific concepts--they'd be reading a textbook in that case, not a novel.The worldbuilding can make the novel great, but the characters are what gives it a soul.

I say Wolf, for all wolves are not of the same sort; there is one kind with an amenable disposition – neither noisy, nor hateful, nor angry, but tame, obliging and gentle, following the young maids in the streets, even into their homes. Alas! Who does not know that these gentle wolves are of all such creatures the most dangerous!
— Charles Perrault