z

Young Writers Society

Help! I've just written the climax and can't get back down!

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:26 pm
View Likes
Dragongirl says...

So here is my dilemma. I have reached the climax of my story, the big fight between the main character and the nemesis has played out. The hero almost die but I am stuck. I want to wrap things up but don't really know how to do that.

Now that I have reached the fight the story was leading up to for so long, it feels like my brain is shutting off. Like the creative cool aid has run out. Like all the writers blocks in the world have teamed up and formed a wall between me and the last chapters of my book. Quite frankly all the wind had seeped out of my sails, leaving me stranded in the middle of an ocean.

Any tips on how to get this ship back on course?
"Every writer I know has trouble writing." - Joseph Heller

~ A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need advice.~
- Bill Cosby

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:47 pm
godlypopo says...

It depends how many chapters are left and whether you want to write a sequal. If you want a really captivating ending, why don't you do something where the character killed off. If you have other characters with them, a few other chapters after could be their reactions(if written in 3rd person ) Just a suggestion :D
Our mind is a network of doorways, each one leading to a different room of thoughts and imagined ideas. Every time we read or learn about something new, a new network of doorways is born

Smile

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:18 pm
View Likes
Dragongirl says...

Godlypopo, thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't thought of that. I may give it a go. :)
"Every writer I know has trouble writing." - Joseph Heller

~ A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need advice.~
- Bill Cosby

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:43 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

You could also show the effects of the battle on other characters aside from the hero and nemesis. Even if the hero's fate is a bit up in the air, following how other characters deal with the aftermath can give the story a sense of closure.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:21 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

It also depends on what type of ending you want.

Happy? Bittersweet? Pyrrhic (won but at a great cost to the point it's not really "won")? Downer?

Knowing what type of ending flows naturally from the climax, along with the type of ending you want (they might not be the same, but you should be satisfied with the ending regardless), might help you figure out how to tie it all up.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

The greatest part of a writer’s time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book.
— Samuel Johnson