z

Young Writers Society

How to balance school and writing?

Reviews: 0
Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:54 am
mosbiusdesigns says...

So these past two years I haven't written as much as I used to because of all the homework I get. I'm going to university next fall and I feel as if I don't learn to balance school and writing I may never achieve my dreams of writing my own full length novel. Does anyone have any advice? What do you guys do to make time for writing?

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:06 am
ehobby says...

I have the same problem. With 7 hours of school, 4 hours of homework and that nice thing called sleep that I seem to forget about, I can never find time to write during the school year. I don't know if you've ever heard of Nanowrimo, but give it a google. In July, they have a camp (online) where you try and write a novel in a month. I've done it for two years, and I usually finish or at least get close. I spend the school year editing or finishing up, both you can easily do with a few minuttes every day. I hope it helps, good luck with writing and at Uni!

332 Reviews

Reviews: 332
Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:08 am
View Likes
Blackwood says...

The answer is don't do your homework.
Hahah....haha.....ahahaha.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:25 am
Rosendorn says...

Tiny little chunks.

When I was in college, I'd write maybe 15 minutes a week on average. In 15 minutes I'd get an average of 200 words out. Sometimes I'd have a light week and I'd write multiple times within that week, while others I'd have a heavy week and not be able to write at all.

All those little 200 word chunks add up. You might not be particularly fast, but if you just dedicate yourself to a little sliver of writing every week, every few days, every day, then in a year you'll be far closer to finishing, or you'll flat out be finished (especially if you dedicate more time during breaks).

Neil Gaiman finished a novel in a year by carving out the time to write 300 words a day. 300 words times 365 days is around 100k, which is more than enough to write at least one finished novel (novels have different word counts based on genre).

Don't think you need to get huge amounts of words out a day to get out a full length novel. If you just grab 15 minutes here and there, wherever you have the opportunity, then you'll be amazed how high your word count will go.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:44 am
View Likes
AttackOfTheFlash says...

Try to put time aside for it. For me to do it, I've had to cut down on reading books. Just always remember to do your homework, because school is the most important thing right now!
Somebody above mentioned NaNoWriMo. It's in November, but they have "camps" (miniature versions, basically) during April and July. I tackled NaNo last November for the very first time! and that plus school was HARD! But it taught me how to write in a timely manner and the importance of time management.
My best advice is to manage your free time to the best of your ability. Also, I've heard of some people actually writing in class in a notebook, but in my opinion that could draw attention to yourself (I used to write in class, but people wanted to know what I was doing and if they could read it...). Good luck finding time!
Are you living or simply existing?

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:06 am
View Likes
RacheDrache says...

I don't know how I did it.

My junior year of high school, when I was taking the 3 hardest AP courses on campus, was on the newspaper, and involved in an extracurricular that got me home at 11pm some nights. Many nights I came home and went straight from the doorway to my desk and worked until 2, 3, 4am in the morning.

Buuut, somehow I wrote a 250,000 word novel. Not all in my junior year, no. But a good amount of it was during the school year. I snuck in paragraphs here and there as I could. I'm terrible about committing to word counts or things like that. So I just kept the word document open and procrastinated from homework by writing it. On weekends, I could get in more. Little by little, it added up.

It helped that we didn't have smartphones then and that the Internet was less fancy. I was (and still am) a bit of a loner, so a wild social life didn't distract me away.

And that's how I did it. I put school first--and seriously, put school first. You NEED school and all the random subjects to be a good writer. (Don't major in English either, tempting as it will be. You learn to write best by writing, but storytelling takes knowing lots of random stuff.)

I put school first, and stuffed writing into every crack and cranny I could find.

In the end I had a 250k novel, a 4.4 GPA, straight As, and a really good college to look forward to. And now I work with puppies for a living.
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

475 Reviews

Reviews: 475
Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:44 pm
Apricity says...

Rachel and Rosey has already covered a lot of good tips. But I will throw in my two cents here as well. In comparison, I'm still in high school with a old of homework and probably exams coming next year. Here is a quote for you to consider, motivation is what gets you started and habit is what keeps you going.

Take out a little time each day just to write, you don't have to aim for any word count or even any specific period of the day ( doing that might actually impose pressure on you because some days, you just seriously don't want to write at that time). If you don't have any major projects going on, just take ten to fifteen minutes each day to brainstorm about ideas maybe write a short story or a description. That may not sound like much, but over a period of time that is what keeps you going and may even bring in new ideas. The small things will add up to the larger ones.

If you have trouble finding that little square of time at home, another time to do it (if you have a phone or a small notebook) would be either at school during break times or if you commute, on the train. I wrote most of my nano this year during school break time, but that may be because I can shut people out whenever I want to.

As for the full length novel, that really requires commitment. Writing a full novel is hard work, if you're aiming for that. Break it up into little chunks like Rosey and Rachel said, if you have a good idea for a scene or a character. Always carry a little notebook with you so you can scribble it down and expand it later.

I've learned to take it in little steps rather than large ones, and I've got two steady projects I'm working on now. Best of luck in your writing!
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:43 am
StellaThomas says...

Med school is the epitome of a high stress, time consuming five years. Sometimes I don't have time to write. My recommendation is just take whatever time you want. But equally, don't push yourself. At this point in your life, school is your priority, it takes a front seat. Yesterday I spent seven hours in the library and half an hour writing. But for me, that's the balance. Don't stress about writing - it's important you keep it as stress relief otherwise you'll start to hate it. Write when you get the chance and feel inspired. Concentrate on doing well in school, don't forget other types of fun and relaxation, and write when you feel like it. It'll be more often than you think.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:38 pm
Tenyo says...

Have you ever been in love? People do stupid things when they're in love. Like if you really badly have a crush on someone then you'll stay up until 1am because that's when they come online. Or you'll sit in that café with the food you don't really like because that's where they come sometimes for coffee and that means you get to talk. Or after a long day you'll sit on the bus for three extra stops just for that little bit of extra time with them and then walk all the way back.

Love your writing. Stay up until stupid oclock, sit in ugly cafe's, miss your stop on the bus and walk back home just so you can have those few extra minutes of inspiration.
We were born to be amazing.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:25 am
Carlito says...

People have probably already said similar things but here's how I've always done it:

I got really serious about writing in college. I had a full schedule of classes (upwards of 20 credit hours a semester), work study jobs, other extra curricular activities, and a social life :)

So how do you find time for fun stuff like writing? Time. Management.

I like to get really organized. I made a daily/weekly calender (sometimes I would get extra nerdy and color-coordinate stuff) and would block off when I had class, work, and other weekly responsibilities. This was a very visual way to see where I have blocks of free time during the week.

Then you have to learn how to balance your free time. There's a lot of stuff that has to get done during free time: homework, meetings, exercise, eating, sleeping, human interaction, etc. In college all of your professors will give you syllabi that have every single reading/homework assignment for the entire semester spelled out in one easy place. Put all of that in a planner from day one so you know what homework you need to do each day. That helps you manage time. After a few weeks you'll get into a grove about how much time you'll have to spend studying/doing homework on any given day/week.

Personally, I would save my writing time for the end of the day. I would do my best to utilize time throughout the day to do my necessary homework and whatnot. Then after I'm done with my homework, writing was the reward! (I also tend to write better at night, which is convenient).

Obviously life happens. Friends will distract you, you'll have a huge test, there will be something going on during your writing time, etc. So try not to beat yourself up if you can't write every single day. When I'm actively working on a project I try to write six days a week. Not only does this help eliminate writing burnout, but it gives some wiggle room from when life happens.

Other people have touched on this, but when you sit down to write, don't expect to write thousands of words and have these big marathon sessions. I mean, sometimes that happens and it's cool, but not all the time. If you're overwhelmed at first try setting aside 20-30 minutes to write (literally set a timer and do nothing else), and then increase it if you want/can. Even if you only write 100 words, that's 100 words closer to the finish line. :)

(I was able to write four novels and a couple of other novel parts this way while I was in college.)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:34 pm
rachellecarter says...

Here's what I do. I do my schoolwork for a while, then I write. Then I go back to schoolwork. Repeat.

Otherwise, I do what is only necessary that day. Like get four assignments done. Also, if you are serious about wanting to write, you will get rid of distractions. Turn off the TV and write. Stop hanging out with your friends on Saturdays and write. You don't have to completely eliminate these things, but try to at least do it enough that you can write like 1000 words every few days. (That shouldn't be that hard right?) Best of Luck!! :)

I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done.
— Steven Wright