z

Young Writers Society

How to write a poem my way!

232 Reviews

Reviews: 232
Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:30 pm
View Likes
rainforest says...

Hello all! I see you have come here because you want to learn how to write a poem. Well, you have come to the right place! Writing a poem is easier than you think it is!

Let's start at step one.

1. Think of a topic.

Thinking of a topic is the first way to start with writing a poem. Look at some poetry to feel inspired or just throw out random themes.

Then we go on to step two!

2. Make a rhyming pattern.

A rhyming pattern is how the poem rhymes and it makes the poem flow. A common pattern used would be ABCB. So the second and the fourth lines would rhyme. Another common pattern would be ABAB. The first and third lines would rhyme, and the second and fourth lines would rhyme. Simple as that!

On to step three!

3. Create a first line.

Starting with the first line can include the title. Some poems start with the title in the first line. It is a great way to start it off in my opinion. You don't have to include the title in the first line though. You decide, it's your poem!

Here we are at step four!

4. Keep it strong and make it flow!

Keeping in strong and making it flow is can be very difficult or easy. Keeping it strong would build up the emotion and feeling up until the end, and also making it stick to the topic. Don't get carried away! Making it flow would have a good rhyme pattern.

And finally, step five!

5. End it off great.

End it off great! Make the poem done and completed! It will be in the nicest, most neatest package ever!

Some examples of great poetry (in my opinion) would be,

I listen to audiobooks. by @Satira

Where I'm From by @wisegirl22

The Ugly Duckling by @Hadj

These amazing poems are so powerful, you will feel so inspired by them! Hope you take up my suggestions! Happy writing! :D
this account proudly supports lgbt rights

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:32 pm
View Likes
Satira says...

awe, thank you fro mentioning me, i'm touched!
"if only, if only,"
the woodpecker sighed,
"the bark on the trees
were as soft as the skies."

558 Reviews

Reviews: 558
Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:37 pm
View Likes
erilea says...

Ya, me too! Although I think Where I'm From isn't the best poem I've ever written...:D
Was *wisegirl22*Artemis28*Lupa22*

focus on... enjoying happy moments

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:31 am
Hadj says...

Hey thanks a lot for mentioning me, I'm honored although The Ugly Duckling is one of my least favorite of my poems (some that I'm more happy with: Children, Rainbows and Broken Dreams, No More Death, Dull Pencils, Skin Deep)
In addition, I think it's important to mention that it's not always best to make a rhyme scheme as your second step. I know I did that when I first started writing poetry, but I try not to anymore. The words and emotions of your poems are the most important part, don't let them be guided by a rhyme scheme. I usually add a rhyme scheme at the end, by switching around some of the phrasing. Really everyone does things there own way, but I find that works best for me.

Also speaking of poetry, I should upload some of the things I wrote in the past month or two...
Lullabies and storybooks
And poems and other lies
Will make you happy and make you dream
But seldom make you wise

Reviews: 3
Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:38 am
alexlynn4u says...

Thank you so much! It surely does help to have someone with true talent help me out! I will be sure to try to write a poem sometime! Don't know when it will be considering I just went back to school because winter break is over but I will! Thanks again! :)

As ideas are always better than their execution, so too must dough taste better than cookies.
— Horisun