z

Young Writers Society

Writing Experiment (safe to try this at home)

Reviews: 0
Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:21 pm
View Likes
theyouth says...

Are you writing a story?

Try this -

open the document on your CPU and read your story aloud.

How does it sound?

Now.

Reformat the page

in such a way

that's structured according to the sound of the sentence.

For example,

while reading the words aloud,

break the sentence at each pause

and start a new line.

Does this make sense?

This will add a subtle,

albeit undervalued rhythm to your story.

If you wish to see another example,

you can check the Daily Story Tweet - http://www.blondyn.com/LOVE/10.24.2014.pdf

Let me know what you think.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:05 pm
crossroads says...

Some people do this, especially when they're preparing for reading their story/excerpt out loud, or if they're preparing someone else to do it. It's very often - if not always so - that the authors use a specific kind of voice and interpretation when they're writing and reading their own writings silently. When it comes to the moment when they need to read it out loud, formatting it in the way you described sometimes helps with turn their inner voice into actual spoken words the right way.
Also, some authors don't like reading their works out loud, and they have the chance to have someone else do it - but each person has their own interpretation, of course, and I know some writers who use this method to teach the reader how to read their story/excerpt in the way the writer imagined.
It can come in handy in some cases, either before or well after the publishing process, but I'd give up rather quickly if I found a book written in that fashion in a bookstore.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

You can't blame the writer for what the characters say.
— Truman Capote