z

Young Writers Society

Advice On My Current Writing Project?

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:21 am
View Likes
Lefty says...

Hello! So I'm currently working on the third book of my fantasy trilogy and lately whenever I sit down to write it just feels grueling and frustrating... I haven't been able to write as fast either and it feels a little like pulling teeth at times. But why? I love my story and my characters... But lately I just haven't enjoyed writing it. And I'm afraid it's going to reflect on the quality of the writing. Am I getting burned out on it? Should I work on something new for a while or take a break from writing all together? I didn't want to stop writing it. I've had a lot of fun writing it in the past and I've been looking forward to finishing it... I don't want to write the whole last book with it feeling like I'm walking through quicksand, but if it's just something that will pass I'm happy to work through it. Anyone else experience this? What did you do? Thanks!

-Lefty
Hear me out, there's so much more to life than what you're feeling now. Someday you'll look back on all these days, and all this pain is gonna be invisible. - Hunter Hayes

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:36 am
EscaSkye says...

Hey there.

I've experienced this before, haha. Personally, I think it may be because of burn out. Maybe you could work on something else for a while to get the interest back. For me, it's not that I drop the work completely - I just let it sit and I still brainstorm for it; it just so happens that I'd be working on another one. Hope this helps!

Cheers,
EscaSkye
Not anymore.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:40 am
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

If you're bored; then it will affect your work.

I would start by taking a hard look at the plot. It may be that you have a nice plot; but if you're not excited; then it's time to toss a grenade into your plot line, otherwise known as a plot twist.

You see, what's the point of being a writer if you can't play with your readers a little? Get them thinking that they know what you're up to; then pull the lever that drops them into the pit of alligators.

That way, you don't just have fun with the characters and the plot, but with the readers as well. I think that might give your writing new life.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:43 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

I'd suggest dynamite.

Usually, when I get bored of the story, there's a place I've forced a character to make a wrong turn for their character. I wanted that thing to happen because of the plot, but it was actually completely against the character. As a result, the situation they were in just felt wrong.

Reread your story and finding a place where things stop getting interesting. Where things start getting strained. Cut everything from that point, and start over with something that reflects how the character reacts. Don't think about what you want, think about how the characters would behave. Now rewrite.

That tends to help me fix issues.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

93 Reviews

Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:57 pm
Lefty says...

Thank you everyone for your comments! I'm not 'bored' necessarily, because I'm still excited about my story, I think it's more burnout or anxiety. I do definitely get what you're saying Rosey Unicorn, the part I'm writing atm is quite different than the rest of the story and feels a bit odd, although I'm pretty much through that part now. Perhaps some tweaking will fix it. Thanks again!
Hear me out, there's so much more to life than what you're feeling now. Someday you'll look back on all these days, and all this pain is gonna be invisible. - Hunter Hayes

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:07 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

For me "bored" is a pretty broad range of emotion, and probably was the wrong word to use.

In the context of my past post it means:
- Unable to write
- No longer feeling in love with the story
- Tired of the story
- Now knowing what to do next
- Generally feeling uncomfortable

But, you're mentioning burnout and anxiety, which are different feelings. So onto those.

For me, anxiety comes from worrying about doing the story "right". I try to remind myself there is no "right way" for my story to be written, except the way I'm happiest with (along with my characters). I can also have anxiety that I'm being too mean to the characters, or people won't understand, or the style I'm writing now won't work out. The way I manage that is to run the idea by other people. If they like it, then I'm on the right track. If they don't, then I've got tweaking to do. And I try to run it by as many people as possible, because you can have five people love it and one person dislike it, but that one person who dislikes it can point out more things you couldn't put your finger on than the five who love it.

Burnout is when I just can't stand the story anymore, don't want to write it at all, and have so many other ideas bursting under my skin that I want to write those instead. Usually what I do is switch projects in those cases, or not write at all when I feel the same for every single other project. I do other types of art, I consume other media, I get away from the world of writing completely. If you've got another project pressing on you or even fanfiction of your own story, feel free to take a break and write it.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:42 pm
godlypopo says...

I know this is a little late but... If you ever get this again, I suggest just having a break from the story for a while-maybe even write something else. Wait until you are ready to get back into the story before continuing it.
Our mind is a network of doorways, each one leading to a different room of thoughts and imagined ideas. Every time we read or learn about something new, a new network of doorways is born

Smile

93 Reviews

Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:13 am
View Likes
Lefty says...

Thanks for your opinions/suggestions everyone. I'm still having some trouble with it but I started reading over my first novel again to revise and improve it. I tried starting another different story the other day but it didn't feel much different. I don't think it's writers block because I have a pretty good idea of what needs to happen in the story and I'm looking forward to writing it, but it still feels like trudging through mud. I think I may be frustrated with life in general and because writing can be frustrating, that is winning out over my inspiration. So I'm going to start getting involved with more things in real life and hopefully that will help me out. I do think I'm a bit worried about doing my story right which is putting pressure on me, but I'm going to try to get past it. Bleh, it's just that I want to write. It's what I do yet I haven't been able to for about four months now. Anyway, thanks again everyone!

It's been many years since I had such an exemplary vegetable.
— Mr Collins, Pride and Prejudice