z

Young Writers Society

I'm back!!! Almost..

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:01 am
Moneypwnzb says...

So, for the last few months, a lot has happened in my life, including my total giving up on writing, but the other night I became really inspired to write, though I have no idea how to write anymore.
I feel like a baby when i go to write, as if all of the words that come out of me are gibberish. So I need help.
My question is, how does one continue a story, months after forgetting about it? I don't feel as though I have writer's block, perhaps I simply lack motivation?
I honestly don't know, but I seriously need help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:23 am
Rosendorn says...

You might not like my answer, but here it is:

You're a beginner again. That means you will be terrible at it.

Write anyway.

If you've forgotten the story, then reread it. Like, actually sit down and just read your own work for enjoyment. Figure out the character motive again, the voice, the way the plot went. You could find you hate the previous plot point you'd just written and you'd rather take the story off in a different direction at some scene. Fine. Blow up the rest of the story and start over from that point (saving the old direction somewhere, just in case there's something you need later).

Thing is, every time you go away from writing for awhile, you tend to get worse at it. Sometimes the break was a very good thing and you do end up better, but a lot of times you end up a little worse. Words sound wrong, it's awkward, and you trip over yourself.

That's how you started writing. Only, now you're aware of it. It's not fun, but the way to remember how to write is to actually write. Use those old muscles. They'll come back.

Just write and accept it won't be what feels right for awhile.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

109 Reviews

Reviews: 109
Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:41 pm
ajruby12 says...

Hey! ajruby12 here...

I can't really say I've been in your situation, as stories fly through my head 24/7 and I act on some of those ideas. But my main suggestion would just be to start with something simple. You don't have to show it to the world, but write a simple short story or poem, if you're into poetry. Don't feel like you have to be immediately as good of an author as you were. Also remember that there should never be a rush on writing. Take your time, and take it slow. It may be difficult and frustrating to not be your former glory, but trust me, you'll get back to it easily.

Keep on writing!

-ajruby (The Silver Lady)
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them." - Ray Bradbury

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:04 pm
Moneypwnzb says...

Thanks Rosey:) you always have given the best advice. I suppose I'll just prepare myself for constant tripping and the rebuilding of old dusty muscles :p Thank you for the advice.
And thank you ajruby12, I'll try to take it slow, which will be a killer for me ;-; I love to rush. But thank you nonetheless :)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:24 pm
Rosendorn says...

If you're worried about "ruining" the story by writing it when you're back in the "beginner" stage... don't. You'll rewrite the story anyway, pretty much guaranteed (especially if it's a novel), so all those awkward patches are going to get smoothed out in the rewrite.

Just keep writing. Doesn't matter if it's bad. That's what editing is for.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Be led by your talent and not by your self-loathing ... everything beautiful in the world is within you.
— Russell Brand