z

Young Writers Society

Could someone help?

Reviews: 1
Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:15 pm
TheNerdyFangirl says...

I have an issue when I want to write. I can never come up with good ideas for stories or novels. I want to begin to write one, but ideas never come to my head. I want to be adventurous and write like some of my favourite Young Adult Authors but I can't. Does anyone have tips on how to come up with ideas?
Thanks,
Becca x

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:54 pm
Iggy says...

I get a lot of inspiration from image-hosting sites, like tumblr or weheartit or Pinterest. Maybe you could make accounts there, look around, see if anything pops out? You can find loads of plot bunnies there.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

Reviews: 1
Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:57 pm
TheNerdyFangirl says...

Thanks! I will definitely give it a go! :)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:33 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Articles:
Building A Story
Building a Fantastic Story
The Nature of Ideas
The 'Onion Layers' of Writing

As for personal experience.

I don't really think in terms of "ideas" but more in terms of characters, where they live, and what I think would be cool to write about. In addition to what Iggy said, I have gotten many an idea by looking through TV Tropes (that site is mega addictive; you've been warned) and wanting to play with whatever tropes come up.

For me writing is more about playing with what I find interesting than trying to get any sort of general idea. My ideas always begin at "what sounds cool?" and end at "this is so cool to write."

I try to chase interest, not ideas, because ideas are fleeting and don't really have anything concrete. Therefore, I go after what I want to write. What words do I want to see on a page? By going about it that way, I end up going after solid concepts that I can actually put on paper, instead of grand, in the air ideas.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:49 am
View Likes
mitzeee says...

I sometimes get this problem too, but what I would say is not to go on tumblr and things like TV Tropes LOOKING for something to write about. I mean sometimes it works if you spend countless hours searching for something to write about but what I find the best is to go on tumblr for fun and then if an idea pops into your head make sure you have a notebook with you to write it down, or even on your phone memos.

I find a good story can come to you when your just scrolling through twitter, tumblr, facebook even, or just in your own thoughts. You need to make sure that your not as such searching, because then you could just go with the first good idea there, and just write for the sake of writing rather than for the love and passion for it. It can take a few story plots before you get a decent one or something your excited to write.

I know I just repeated the same thing in different words in two different paragraphs but I'm just trying to get my point across x'D :D

~ mitzeee <3

the button war, the egg being featured member, and santa necro-liking halloween-esque works are the reasons i love yws
— Carina