z

Young Writers Society

Dealing with Criticism

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:41 pm
View Likes
BreeTaylor says...

I had some very disappointing feedback on my first novel the other day in a writers group, so I decided to speak on it for anyone who is feeling as discouraged as I did.

So i started out as a poet, right? For the most part, I would get positive feedback and even a few would glance at me in awe. One day I woke up and said, "hey, let's take this to a new level."So I decided I was going to write a book, a novel. I sat down, I plotted; I created characters; I created plot twists. When all was said and done, I threw myself head first into writing my first chapter.

And then BOOM! Done!

I had a chapter one and I was ready to let the world read it and praise me!
Right? that's what everyone wants, isn't? To have people read your work and go, "WOW! how original and engaging! I love it!" And the first two people I let read my very "high-on-it's-horse" novel, said things along those lines. So I decided to take it all a step-further and let the readers of a local library writers group, who had their own writing history, critique my work.
I passed out copies. I gave a quick speech on how the novel's idea came to me and then I smiled and started to read.

When I finished, about ten minutes later, I look up and smile again, ready to be praised.

Now, mind you, I excepted the praise. That's my own fault. These were the same people who stared at me in wonder at my poetry. So please forgive me that when I looked up, I wasn't expecting the silence and near awkward tension of the room.
In that moment, I almost burst into tears. I was so disappointed. No one knew what to say. No one agreed on the same advice. Some believed that this is where my novel should start, others believed the start was too confusing. No one liked the book for what it was.

And so, I went home and sat on my bed and stared at my book's notes. I stared long and I stared hard and I thought two things: 1.) just quit. It's chapter one, and everyone already hates it. They like some parts, they don't like others but no one loves it. It's a waste of time.

My second thought was more logical. 2.) This is part of being a writer. Take the criticism and use it. Learn from it. Take the advice and work it into the story. If I don't like their advice then I don't have to use it.

And then I put my notes away and went to sleep. End of story. I was hurt and disappointed and a bit discourage. I even contemplated not going back to that group. But I would be a coward. I wouldn't be a real writer. EVERYONE is different, so not EVERYONE will like the same things. Therefore, not EVERYONE will like your work.

It's okay. If one or two people say they hate it, say "okay" and keep moving on. If the majority of people are giving the same advice, take it into account and work with it.

Either way it's your story. It's your baby. You can take care of him/her however you see fit.

Thanks so much for reading. I hope this helps. :wink:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: it goes on.
~Robert Frost

A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
— Paul Simon