z

Young Writers Society

How do I fatten up my paragraphs?

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:35 pm
GoldFlame says...

How do I fatten up my paragraphs? I've tried fluff, but that doesn't work; I get stuck. I look at them, and I feel like I'll get a paper cut if I touch one.

Writing nonstop? Sure. But I know I've punched the "enter" key too many times if my longest paragraph is three-four lines. Are there any specific methods for ... this kind of thing?
“He leant tensely against the wall and frowned like a man trying to unbend a corkscrew by telekinesis.” – Douglas Adams

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:20 am
Rosendorn says...

Can you give us a sample of your writing, just so we can get a better idea what your style's like?
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:44 am
niteowl says...

I seem to lean toward short paragraphs as well. I don't think it's necessarily a problem unless the short paragraphs are breaking up things that should be in the same paragraph.

Short paragraphs are also easier to read on the Internet, so that's something to keep in mind.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

308 Reviews

Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:22 pm
GoldFlame says...

Thanks for the replies! ^.^

Ah, definitely; they're easier to read. But at the same time, they affect the pace, or that's just me? When I'm tossing in more detail, so as to slow things down, I feel like it's not doing anything, that it'll read fast regardless.

How short is too short? Where do I combine? They say it's instinct, but...

For instance, do I break here...

The young woman next door taught her. Willow. Willow kept a small garden, a checkerboard of pink and white roses. They visited it every weekday and sat and talked, alternating smoothly between English and Latin.

Sometimes they talked philosophical, or political, or sociological. Sometimes the newest Pringle. It didn't matter; their interests clicked like jigsaw pieces.

...or do I not break at all?

The young woman next door taught her. Willow. Willow kept a small garden, a checkerboard of pink and white roses. They visited it every weekday and sat and talked, alternating smoothly between English and Latin. Sometimes they talked philosophical, or political, or sociological. Sometimes the newest Pringle. It didn't matter; their interests clicked like jigsaw pieces.
“He leant tensely against the wall and frowned like a man trying to unbend a corkscrew by telekinesis.” – Douglas Adams

1007 Reviews

Reviews: 1007
Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:02 pm
View Likes
TimmyJake says...

This may seem like a fluff reply to you, Goldflame, but I will try to be as helpful as I can here.

I have read and reviewed all of your works that you posted on Cobra's Cage. And during that time, I have never thought to myself, She is using too many breaks in the paragraphs. Just a thought there.

I always think of a paragraph as a long sentence. You write it as an individual thought. And individual idea. You know that once that idea has been expressed, and you begin another idea, its just writing protocol to begin another paragraph.
So the only way that you can make your writing seem less "fluffy" or drifting, like your ideas just flit about, is draw out those paragraphs somewhat. Take the idea and extrapolate on it a little more.
Like in that last paragraph you showed us, you could talk a little longer on how they talked. What they talked about, etc.

By the way, I love your: It didn't matter; their interests clicked like jigsaw pieces. That was amazing.

From the sample of writing, I think that your paragraphing had no issues. But if you still think so, then I hope that this helps a little bit.
Last edited by TimmyJake on Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Used to be tIMMYjAKE

308 Reviews

Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:28 am
View Likes
GoldFlame says...

Thanks! That helped loads. :D

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:58 pm
View Likes
Pompadour says...

So I was stalking the forums and I came across this ...

Must reply, yersh.

Okay, so first off: You don't need to fatten your paras for the sake of fattening them. Sure, they look nice when they're published, but they can often be taxing to read through if the narrator is blabbering about an idea but isn't really building up on anything. I personally prefer varying paragraph length, and the "to divide or not to divide?" question is one that I ask myself quite frequently whenever I'm scrutinizing a work of mine--or anyone else's, for that matter.

There's only one thing I can say, and that's that if short paras suit your style, then go for it. You can't force style, just like you can't force rivers not to flow downstream. It's instinctive, I think, and really depends on you. Paragraphs are flighty things, and sometimes they linger uselessly. In that case, you shouldn't be afraid to cut whole chunks out. Yes, it gives you a funny achy feeling, but if it's useless then it doesn't belong. This is more of a sentence thing than a paragraph thing, though, so ...

Let's talk about paragraphs. Like sentences consist of cause and effect (or, y'know, subject and predicate), paragraphing is like building a brick wall. The sentences are bricks. If you have a brick missing in the structure, it topples over. A group of ideas clustered together, yet their basic purpose is the same. So take a look at the topic under discussion. As long as the topic doesn't change, you don't switch paras. (Unless it's dialogue of course. Even then, it's a stylistic choice. Some people prefer not to break dialogue away from the main paragraph.)

Like red bricks are used to build a red wall, and purple for purple. Wouldn't a purple wall look odd if it was built using red bricks? I realize I might be straying off topic here ...

Take your paragraph above for example. You're talking about the main character meeting a woman called Willow and everything that they talked about, all that they discussed. You don't really need a paragraph break at "Sometimes" since you haven't introduced a new idea; rather, it's a continuation, a build-up of that same idea. Supposing you started talking about something else instead, switched to a certain time or focused on a conversation/scene in your story: You'd start a new para.

Some cases where you could break up paragraphs:

:arrow: For laying emphasis.

Lobster had always been a special child. Everyone in Rossendale knew as much, for Bertha Littlechild considered it her duty to remind her neighbours at least twice a week; and her neighbours to tell their neighbours, and so on and so forth until even the beggar man by the creek talked of, "That shpecial child that attends them school fer the gifted."

You see, Lobster Littlechild was both blind and deaf.

He was also the smartest child alive, or so Bertha claimed.

:arrow: While switching perspectives.

Harmon J. Lewis was not a good neighbour. For one, he never washed his front porch, and it was forever littered with "cat poop, bird poop and jus' some more poop" as little Tommy affirmed, having been sent over with a home-made apple pie and greetings from the Rivers' homestead. Needless to say, Tommy had come home gasping for breath and vowing never to set foot in Harmon J. Lewis' house ever again.

Privately, Mrs Rivers thought that Tommy was making a ruckus for no legitimate reason and decided to visit Mr Lewis herself.

Besides, she told herself sternly, it is not proper that we shouldn't call on him. The poor man has been here for a week, and we are his closest neighbours.

:arrow: When talking about/focusing on a new time or scene (I hope you don't mind that I'm using your paragraph for this one.)

GoldFlame wrote:The young woman next door taught her. Willow. Willow kept a small garden, a checkerboard of pink and white roses. They visited it every weekday and sat and talked, alternating smoothly between English and Latin.Sometimes they talked philosophical, or political, or sociological. Sometimes the newest Pringle. It didn't matter; their interests clicked like jigsaw pieces.

It was one blustery evening, however, halfway through August, that Lily ventured to ask her of her childhood ...

You can also check these sites out if you want.

Hope this helped!

~P
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

308 Reviews

Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:49 pm
View Likes
GoldFlame says...

You both--so amazing. Thank you!!! :D

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:46 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

Feed them lots of cookies.
We were born to be amazing.

A person is a fool to become a writer. His only compensation is absolute freedom. He has no master except his own soul, and that, I am sure, is why he does it.
— Roald Dahl