z

Young Writers Society

One way to write a first draft

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:34 pm
niteowl says...

Just saw this really interesting article about one screenwriter's way of getting out that first draft. There's also some advice that could apply to writing any first draft.

http://www.fastcocreate.com/1682852/bob ... -right-now.

Have you heard of any other unusual methods of getting the job done?

Niteowl was here. Gift bombing and eating heads since 2004. Tapatalking since 2014.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:17 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

A to B plotting.

I have an A, and a B. A is usually my start point, and B is usually my end point. My job is to build a bridge between the two.

I usually build a bunch of posts that are interesting things. Sometimes, point B changes because it just makes no sense to go after it. Others, the path ends up becoming a giant field of "NOPE" because wow that plot line does not work, so I change direction for how I'm going to get to B.

Eventually, with enough butt to chair writing, I get a draft out. Sheer determination tends to get me through the bulk. Usually it involves many reroutes and figuring out what's the most interesting path to take, but eventually it gets out.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:58 pm
GoldFlame says...

Ugh. First drafts. Why do they exist?

I edit more than I write, which works, since my old document's bursting like a bullfrog. As for advice, I can't give much, because every writer has their quirky superstitions. I write with cheap pens and pencils on college-ruled notebook paper--anything else doesn't work.

If I'm starting out, I wing it. I write whatever pops into my head. You hear a lot about writers not getting their thoughts down quick enough and losing them. Apparently I try to keep that from happening at all costs: "Branches lace whispered crisp edges raw heart of gem." Or maybe it's because it was three hours past midnight.

I used to launch with descriptions, but nowadays, I take whatever sentence pops into my head. I just recently centered a short story on "she only wore dead watches." It was far more fun than gibberish about the wind and the sun and all that.
“He leant tensely against the wall and frowned like a man trying to unbend a corkscrew by telekinesis.” – Douglas Adams

"I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul."
— Pablo Neruda