z

Young Writers Society

Emotion Through Dialogue

1007 Reviews

Reviews: 1007
Sat May 10, 2014 2:34 pm
TimmyJake says...

Hannah wrote:Oh no, I totally understand we accent words when we talk. I was just saying that not everyone in the world talks like you do or accents the same words in the same way to mean the same thing, so forcing them to read them the way you've accented them could end in miscommunication. (:

Welll... If we are like that, then it should work out for everyone just fine then. Everyone talks differently. Everyone accents things differently. End result, when the author reads it out-loud because they are having problems accenting things or want to make sure it reads right. Presto! it will sound great.

Hopefully that made sense, @Hannah. I have a tendency to say things that are completely nonsensical.
Used to be tIMMYjAKE

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Sat May 10, 2014 2:42 pm
View Likes
Hannah says...

Hopefully that made sense, @Hannah. I have a tendency to say things that are completely nonsensical.

Ahh! Some crossed wires.

I mean that you -- the WRITER -- may talk differently from the person who is trying to read your writing -- the READER -- which may prevent your story from being read comfortably or may get it misinterpreted.
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

1007 Reviews

Sat May 10, 2014 2:46 pm
TimmyJake says...

Hannah wrote:I mean that you -- the WRITER -- may talk differently from the person who is trying to read your writing -- the READER -- which may prevent your story from being read comfortably or may get it misinterpreted.

So what is your solution to that? I do want my writing to be enjoyable for everyone, but at the same time, I do see italics important to my writing.
For the record, I have written for three years, and have only saw the need to write stuttering once. Yes. once. There are other emotions that you can convey. Personally, I see stuttering as difficult to read. Jerky, even. Anything jerky? Trash it. xD

@Hannah
Used to be tIMMYjAKE

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun May 11, 2014 6:47 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Best example of italics changing a sentence:

"I never said she stole the money."

Every single word you emphasize changes the meaning, and I'll analyze it in spoiler because this will get long.

Spoiler! :
Emphasize I: This is deflecting the accusation away from the speaker. It implies money was taken, but the person who said that sentence did not tell that person.

Emphasize never: Again, deflecting, but this can lead to an impression of cluelessness along with the impressions of emphasizing I.

Emphasize said: There was no direct verbal clues, but there were other clues in writing or maybe body language and hinting.

Emphasize she: The speaker said somebody else stole the money, not that particular person. The speaker is knowledgable about what happened and is correcting information.

Emphasize stole: The speaker used another word to describe what she did with the money, such as borrowed, touched, ect. Nit picking technicalities or correcting information, from a knowledgable source.

Emphasize the: "The" indicates a particular stock of money somewhere, perhaps savings or a payoff. The person is saying that she stole some other money, that is potentially less important.

Emphasize money: She stole something else, not money.

Italics are some of the most subtle but honestly best ways to draw emphasis to a particular thing, and it can be really hard to tell where to place them. But keeping in mind that different places have different effects helps quite a bit.

--

As for the whole "you can convey emotions through things around the speech but not with speech itself."

Nope.

Pay very close attention to IM patterns, where all body language is stripped out. Start noticing how people speak in different contexts.

For me, I fragment sentences and restart sentences when I'm stressed and unsure, and will go on paragraph long rambles when I'm angry. I get less enthusiastic when tired (from "Oooh I like it!" to "nice" depending on energy levels). I am very formal when reserved but very informal when comfortable ("Hi" or "hello" to "heyyy!"). These are all things you can put in directly in the text without any body language, and while it's super subtle it's very effective. Hard to do well, but possible.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1007 Reviews

Sun May 11, 2014 11:14 pm
TimmyJake says...

Absolutely.

My thing with italics is that I write out the dialogue, and then I repeat what I wrote. How I accent the certain words when I say it is how I italicize them.
Pretty simple. :D

You're right! Italicizing different words does give you a different outcome, no matter the sentence. The one you picked was very good... But I think it applies to all sentences, really.

Italicizing different words does give you a different outcome, no matter the sentence.

Wow. Now it seems like I am saying that it only applies to you. That is an excellent point! I am glad you pointed that out.
Used to be tIMMYjAKE

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Tue May 13, 2014 4:24 am
View Likes
GoldFlame says...

I've never been fond of italics.

They're useful but easy to overdose on. Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time irritated me for precisely that reason. Italics inside words, between syllables, every other paragraph. The narrator's voice began tasting bitter and sarcastic.

On the other hand, I like the idea concerning writing how you speak. Reading a piece, the first things I note are fluency, character development, and grammar. Dialogue's an enormous factor. Either it flows naturally or it doesn't at all, and it's morphed into a way of lending your characters distinctive voices. (I don't think I need to mention punctuation.)

When a writer begins a project, I'd recommend for them to monitor their italics; when a writer begins a project, they're not familiar with their characters. Then they slip into a rhythm. At least, from what I've heard; I haven't had the pleasure of getting that far yet.

"Come on. We'll be skeletons by the time you get ready."

"C'mon, let's go."

"Hurry up!"

See the differences? The first one's tipping toward immature. The second is mildly urgent. The third spans across the speaker's personality. All up to you, however you want to develop your characters.
“He leant tensely against the wall and frowned like a man trying to unbend a corkscrew by telekinesis.” – Douglas Adams

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how.
— Friedrich Nietzsche