z

Young Writers Society

Slow and steady or quick bursts?

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:03 am
Tenyo says...

Do you prefer to write at a slow and steady pace, carefully planning and choosing each word, or do you prefer to write like the wind and not look back until the alarm clock screams

And which do you find produces better results with your writing?
We were born to be amazing.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:08 am
View Likes
Zolen says...

I rush along like sonic the hedgehog then roll back with some basic edits. Works for me because I am trying to keep up with my own mind, phrasing and so on can wait till I run out of things to type.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:51 am
Rosendorn says...

Mixed bag and usually depends on the type of writing. For papers, I agonize more because I write far fewer drafts and am of the opinion that I'll spend less time overall agonizing over everything in draft one, instead of word vomiting everywhere and editing ten times.

When it comes to fiction, that is sort spurts of reckless abandon that don't get edited till months later when I finally get around to rereading it. Much more effective for getting something down on the page, especially considering my biggest piece of advice is "just write it!"
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:18 pm
GreenLight24 says...

Same as the unicorn pretty much. I can go either way. Personally though, I'd greatly prefer to write conscientiously. Slow and steady wins the race. ;) Also, writing too fast can leave you with sentences that still may mean the same thing as if you were to write it in a different way, but that may lack some of the aesthetic quality you were going for. I have a very gaudy and drawn-out writing style with heavy emphasis on aesthetic elements, so writing slowly and choosing each and every word very carefully is a must for me. To quote a line from the first chapter of a novel I recently started, "Her piercing green irises bounced expeditiously amongst our surroundings before coming to an impetuous stop behind the shimmering glass windows of their golden frame prisons." seems to work better towards being aesthetically pleasing than "Her green eyes moved indecisively from place to place before looking straight into mine from behind her golden frame glasses."

Then again, it's all about the kind of story you're writing and what your goals are. It just so happens that I strive for aesthetic quality more often than I strive for other nuances of my writing.
"My Wellspring of Wisdom told me so!"

-Victorique De Blois, Gosick.

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:52 pm
eldEr says...

Generally speaking, I always have to start writing slow and steady. If I open the document and just go for it, it all comes out stiff and forced. I gradually pick up the pace, and then it's writing 100wpm for the next half hour-hour or so.

And then I don't write anything (in that work) for a good three days. Or more. *hangs head*
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Sat May 10, 2014 4:54 pm
GoldFlame says...

Each side has pros and cons, but "quick" tips toward my favor. With quick, there's less chance of ideas trickling through your fingers. Sometimes I'm typing and I have this epic action scene planned out, and then when I get there I lose most of the details, like sand through an hourglass.

Then there's length. If I'm squeezing out a few sentences every minute, I'll get nothing done, and I'm too occupied with the awkwardly-phrased phrasings in Page 2, Paragraph 3, Sentence 6, anyway. Unfortunately, I write slow and steady more often than quick. It's lovely mending descriptions. Sure, I get frustrated, but then I cut my scenes into pieces and glue each finished one.

It depends on who you are, I guess. Your motivation, whether or not you're a perfectionist.
“He leant tensely against the wall and frowned like a man trying to unbend a corkscrew by telekinesis.” – Douglas Adams

"It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be."
— Albus Dumbledore