z

Young Writers Society

Fear of Reading My Stuff to Other People?

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:26 am
RobinSparkles says...

Hi!

Sooo, I have this really annoying fear of reading my stories aloud to other people. I don't mind others reading it, so long as I'm not near them when they're reading it or they're doing it in their head. If that makes sense. :shock:

There's a writing workshop near my house, and I've always wanted to take classes there, but whenever I think about reading my stories aloud or letting others read it over my shoulder... I get panic attacks. Like literally panic attacks. >.<

I'm okay with people reading it online, but face-to-face... it's different. And I really want to start participating in these writing classes, so if anyone has tips of how to overcome this fear or get rid of my anxiety, I'd really appreciate it. :D
Writer of the Week : I'M A JUDGE!

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:48 am
View Likes
Iggy says...

I say just do it.

The first class is always, always hard, especially since you're not used to that kind of stuff. But once you start going, you'll either become comfortable in there or you'll hate. Of course, if you hate it, leave, but give it a few days of going before you make a decision. :)

I suggest you slowly prepare for the class by having a close friend or family member read your work while you stand there beside them. Get someone who won't critique it, then slowly build your way up to someone who will help you see what you did wrong or where you went wrong and help you improve.

I think that a writing class is totally awesome and wish we had something like that here! So I say, if you want to do it, then go for it! But if you aren't ready right this minute, then don't go. Take your time and try to become more comfortable with people reading your work before you have someone critique it. And remember - if you don't like it, don't do it. Don't do something that makes you uncomfortable.

Good luck! :D
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

557 Reviews

Reviews: 557
Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:53 am
View Likes
Ventomology says...

Wow! I'm jealous that you have a writing class where you live! That's so exciting!

Anyways, I always find that I'm less apprehensive about other people reading my work if I read it aloud to myself first. Then I know how it sounds, and I find any mistakes that would otherwise embarrass me if someone else found them. It doesn't even have to be loud; whisper it. And for me, this works with other things too, like having to tell the class about a project. Any type of work-sharing.

And like Iggy said, have someone you're comfortable with read it first. Or if it's too weird having friends and family read it, try your English teacher. They are likely to be very supportive, and will honor whether or not you'd like them to critique.

Of course, there's also the head-on approach I took to public speaking and improv... but I wouldn't go there because that's like gambling.
"I've got dreams like you--no really!--just much less, touchy-feeley.
They mainly happen somewhere warm and sunny
on an island that I own, tanned and rested and alone
surrounded by enormous piles of money." -Flynn Rider, Tangled

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:53 am
RobinSparkles says...

@Iggy and @Buggiedude2340 --

Thank you so, so much! This really helps. :D
Writer of the Week : I'M A JUDGE!

So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookcase on the wall.
— Roald Dahl