Don't let her go.
Don't let her fall.
Don't let her down.
I beg of you,
Let this just be a dream;
Don't let her slowly slip away
Before my tear filled eyes.

--------------------

Feel free to criticize it and all that stuff. I welcome it openly :)
And if you wonder, this is about a dream I had in which my horse (which I love dearly with all my heart and would probably kill myself if she died) was sick and (dun dun dun!) DIED! I thought it was real when I woke up and was really freaked out and crying and I grabbed my secret little journal and BAM! This poem was created. Hope you enjoy it :)

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:30 am
View Likes
Lavvie says...

Hi there katiehorsie!

You must really love horses, if you included it in your username as well. I can get a feeling of what maybe your love is like: unconditional.

I can feel the sadness you might experience if your horse died nicely through this poem. However, it just doesn't make it the whole way. I would like to feel a lot more emotion in this poem, rather than just words. Like, it's sad and heartbreaking, but I feel that it's not quite there and that you could definitely do better.

I also didn't much care for the fact that the majority of the poem was written as if the horse was already dead, had recently passed away. And then your last stanza is all about protecting her and hoping God will save her from death or something. I found i a little confusing, the sudden change in ideas, almost. Personally, I think the entire last stanza is redundant and should be removed. Keep the poem free mostly from general confusion. It's also much better and less dragged out without it, I feel.

This once-proud creature

Also. Why would she still not be proud? I recognize that's she's supposedly dead, but one can die proud. Perhaps I'm getting too technical.

Overall, it was sweet!

Yours,
Lavvie

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

1634 Reviews

Reviews: 1634
Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:12 pm
View Likes
Deanie says...

Hi Katie

I really like this poem. It showed how you felt very clearly through your words. I liked the repetition, which gave it a nice touch. The poem was really nice and sweet. I liked to read it, but it isn't one that will stay in my mind for long. But it was nice.

Deanie x
Trust in God and all else follows.

Deanie, dominating the world since it was cool @Pompadour, 2014
Your username reminds me of a hotdog @Stegosaurus, 2015
Tried to make puns out of your username, but every attempt has been Deanied @Candywizard, 2015

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:25 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Oy, I hate it when animals die. :( Though! I am glad it was only a dream!

I have to agree with Lavvie here... the stanza did seem a little bit odd at the end. I am used to praying for the dead, so that's not the problem. However the words used were just confusing because they don't really speak for someone who has died but rather someone who is living. They made sense once you read the note you attached and realize that this was just some sort of awful dream. But outside of that, it would be really hard to tell. So, I think you should probably make the ending more sad, because sad is better than confusing.

As far as the rest of the poem goes, I quite liked it. It was repetitious, but in a good way, and full of plenty of heartfelt emotion. Some good stuff here!

In any case, give your horse a nice big scruffle for me, okay? :) Let's hope she stays around for much longer! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:08 pm
View Likes
katiehorsie says...

Thanks to people who read my poem, and yes, without the dream I had, it would most likely not be nearly as sad as it is to me. But for the entire poem, as there seems to be a bit of confusion and such over it, I wrote it as if she was still alive but she was very sick and dying. It was meant to almost describe how she was and what was happening to her as I pretty much watched helplessly. And again, thanks for the critique

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:14 am
View Likes
phenomenologist says...

Hi there,

I really liked this - I liked how your use of repetition in lines 1,2, 8 and 9 of all four stanzas really tied it together.

However - stanza four didnt really work for me, perhaps because in line 2 of stanzas 1,2 and 3 you used a very similar technique in each of making finally word begin with the same consonant - safe, strong, snug - I think it perhaps made the final stanza a bit imbalanced for my liking as it didnt not fulfill my expectations that you had so faithfully and pleasing delivered in the previous three.

Other than that - excellent :D

Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it. Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love and belonging and joy—the experiences that make us the most vulnerable. Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.
— Brené Brown