z

Young Writers Society

An Early Morning Marathon With God

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:22 pm
iamjemo says...

“Alright, it’s almost 3:00 in the morning, time to go!” I thought.
I rushed down the stairs leaving The Elbow Room where we held our company party.
It was so fun; and I won a camera. Just in time for the big event that day, our church annual Christmas party.

I got on the jeep on my way to Shaw Boulevard to take a bus going to the airport. My flight was at 6:00am and I needed to be early for check-in.
The time I got off from the jeep, I figured out that I left my plane ticket in our boarding house.

Without a second thought I ran and looked for a cab to go and get my ticket.

Yet I was wondering why I felt no worries.
“There’s still enough time to get to the airport,” I thought.

I got on the cab and it took us fifteen minutes or less to get to Lifehomes where our boarding house was.
I usually take a tricycle to get there but it was too early to get it full (drivers have to wait for six passengers to go).
Instead, I decided to run. I was walking so fast, less than an actual running because I was thinking there was enough time to get to our place.

The streets were quiet and empty.

Finally, I got in our boarding house and rang the bell for someone to open the gate.
Fortunately, I didn’t have to wait for long; a person came out to let me in.
I ran up the stairs heading to our room. Then I looked for my notebook where my ticket was.

I didn’t waste time; I left the room right after I found my ticket and continued my early morning marathon.

That time I took the tricycle; I was so tired to run.
I was up for more than a day because of our company event; haven’t got enough sleep because of the preparations - I was a part of the committee.

After taking the tricycle, I went to look for a jeep going to Ortigas.
It was already 3:30 in the morning. There was no traffic, so I got to Ortigas very fast - faster than the usual ride at daytime.

I looked for a cab because I thought it will take me faster to NAIA.
I and the cab driver had a good conversation on our way to the airport. We loved our smooth ride – a kind of ride that you cannot have on a later time of the day in the most jam-packed road of Metro Manila, EDSA.

“(Panting...) Whew, thanks God I made it on time.” I thought with a smile on my face.

It was exactly 4:00 in the morning and the counter was still close.
I stayed with the other waiting passengers - seated at the side of the lobby.

I opened the box of my brand new camera and checked on it. It was a cool one.

My head was getting heavier every minute. I badly needed to sleep but I can’t.
I had to stay awake to wait for checking in. A guy even told me to wake him up when the counter opens.

I was full of excitement yet so sleepy at the same time.

Then the NAGA counter opened and I was one of the first persons to check in.
I then, proceeded to the terminal. It was almost 5:00 in the morning.

“One hour to go,” I thought with excitement.

I was really struggling to keep myself awake that early morning.
So I’ve waited and played with my camera for a while.
But there were times that I almost fell asleep but I kept up. I had to wait for my flight number to be called.

It was almost 6:00am but there was no announcement.

After a couple of minutes, I’ve heard our flight number on being announced at last:
“Flight 261 bound to Naga will be delayed due to some maintenance...” the announcer said repetitively.

“Uh oh... what is happening?” I thought.

That was not the first time I experienced a flight being delayed so I thought it was okay.

I’ve waited for the next announcement.
I was just wondering why they haven’t given us an estimated time to wait for the next schedule when our flight will pursue.
But, they were supposed to do so.

Then I, together with the other passengers heard the next announcement about having our flight on hold due to Naga’s weather condition.

That was the time I called Joyu to ask how was the weather in Naga.
She confirmed that there was no rain though a little foggier that morning and also because it was still too early.

Right after we finished our conversation, I heard the announcer telling us that our flight got cancelled and we are requested to proceed to the ticketing office for re-booking. I called her again to tell the news and she was sad about it.

“If this is God’s will, I accept.” I told her. “I really want to be there, but we have to prepare an alternative plan just in case I won’t make it.”
That was the first time I experienced a cancelled flight and I didn’t know what to do.
I followed the other passengers, some were complaining, heading to the office.

I was talking with a fellow passenger about our cancelled flight and I had the chance to ask him questions about our circumstance.
He told me that we might get a roundtrip ticket because of it.
But I told him I have to be in Naga that morning and asked him if I could still have that chance.
He wasn’t so sure about it.
He even asked me where I stay and found out that we both live in Pasig.
He then offered me a ride home since he was on the same way but I subtly declined.

I really wanted to go home that day but I wasn’t sure if I could still make it.

Then I got to the counter where we were instructed to re-book our flight.
I heard one passenger taking the next flight to Naga. So I thought I could also make a re-book for the next flight.
I asked the counter if there were still available seats for it and they confirmed that I got the last one. I was so happy!

I and the guy who took one of the last two seats proceeded for checking in.

“I knew it; God is still letting me go home for our church’s party!” I thought as I ran towards the counter.

The guy came first for checking in, I was next in line.
I heard him and the checker guy having an argument about our flight. So I decided to come forward to listen.
The checker guy was telling him that the next flight for 8:50am was already full and the following flight will be at 11:30am where he can be accommodated including me.

I felt pity with the guy.
I heard him say that he badly needed to be home because his father just died.
I thought for myself as well. I also wanted to be home early if possible.
Though, 11:30am was still good news for me.

Because of the guy’s situation, the checker tried to make a way for him to be at the 8:50am flight.
I also tried to ask the checker guy if I could be accommodated too.
But there was only one seat left.

He aggressively told the checker to give him the seat.
He apologized to me but I told him that he needed it more than I.

I prayed.
I wanted to be on the next flight to catch up for the worship service this morning.
I asked God for it.

After the guy left, I was the next one to check in.

There was something inside of me telling that I could be on the next flight.
My heart said so but I knew it wasn’t me.

Then, I told the checker guy to check if I could still take a seat for the 8:50am flight.
I told him to try it for one last time.

I was caught astounding when he told me that I was indeed booked for the next flight.

I got a seat!
Cool it was.
I was so amazed and full of joy. I thanked God.

The next thing that happened I was on the stage telling the church how joyful I was that day!
My family was there too!
My father who fetched me at the airport came to attend the worship service.
He saw how thankful I was to be there.
He saw how great our God is for such a wonderful morning.

There was something inside of me telling that I could be with my church that morning.
My heart said so but I knew it wasn’t me.

I learned that the attitude of being at peace when we face hard times; it is God who works in our hearts.
We just need to trust Him more than the usual.

In Romans 8:31 it says, “What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?”
PRAISES FOR OUR AWESOME GOD!

~Jemo
I live to follow.
I follow because I
love.
I am second,
Spoiler! :
Jesus 1st.

1634 Reviews

Reviews: 1634
Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:08 pm
Deanie says...

Hi.

I thought this work was more like a short story than a poem. It didn't seem to have any poetic language or layout, so maybe it should be in the short story section.

I think short stories are all about hoping that the character gets what they want and fearing that they won't. In your case, we were hoping the character would be able to get onto the flight. But just that didn't really increase the tension a lot. Maybe if there were more difficulties and more reason for them to not be able to get on the flight, we could raise the tension a bit.

I did like how the main character continually prayed and hoped for the best, even when it looked like it wouldn't work out. And the ending was really nice.

Deanie x
Trust in God and all else follows.

Deanie, dominating the world since it was cool @Pompadour, 2014
Your username reminds me of a hotdog @Stegosaurus, 2015
Tried to make puns out of your username, but every attempt has been Deanied @Candywizard, 2015

okay I think I need to grab some nachos
— BluesClues