Young Writers Society

The Buddy System

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:47 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

The Buddy System is back and ready for action! Whether you're new and looking for a mentor or you've been around a while and want to pass on what you know, this is the right place.

1. What is the Buddy System?

The Buddy system is where two people are paired up as mentor and mentee, the mentor being the experienced member and the mentee the newer member. It aims to help new members feel more settled during their early days on YWS and gives them the opportunity to have someone more experienced answer any questions they have.

2. What can a mentor do for me?

As mentors we do our best to make you feel welcome, to help you meet other members if you are shy or having difficulty and to do anything we can to make your experience at YWS the best it can be. We will also make an effort to review at least some of the writing you post during the official mentoring period (which lasts for one month) and sometimes we will continue to review you afterwards.

3. How do I get a mentor?

Read through the bios in this thread and send a message to any mentor you're interested in being paired with, or post on this thread and say that you're looking for a buddy and one of our mentors will reply to you.

4. What if I want to be a mentor?

If you're interested in joining the mentor programme please pm Rydia and she will give you any information you need.

---

LIST OF CURRENT MENTORS

- Amnesia (Now Remembrance) | view my profile
- ChildOfNowhere | view my profile
- BlueAfrica | view my profile
- Carlito | view my profile
- CHRISSY321 | view my profile
- Clarity | view my profile
- Craz | view my profile
- dragonfphoenix | view my profile
- FeatherPen | view my profile
- FerranWright | view my profile
- Hiraeth | view my profile
- Holysocks | view my profile
- HostofHorus | view my profile
- Iggy | view my profile
- Karzkin | view my profile
- Lavvie | view my profile
- lizzybookclubqueen1 | view my profile
- Meandbooks | view my profile
- megsug | view my profile
- Messenger | view my profile
- mialynire | view my profile
- Moriah Leila | view my profile
- Pretzelstick | view my profile
- Reneia | view my profile
- RubyRed | view my profile
- Rubric | view my profile
- Rydia | view my profile
- ShadowVyper | view my profile
- Stegosaurus | view my profile
- SushiSashimi333 | view my profile
- TimmyJake | view my profile
- WritingWolf | view my profile
- yubbies21 | view my profile

ON HOLD
(if your name is in this list then you have not yet completed your profile. Please post below and your name will be reinstated)

LIST OF RETIRED/ CURRENTLY INACTIVE MENTORS
(If your name is in this list and you would like to once more be a mentor, please send a pm to Rydia)

Spoiler! :
- fire_of_dawn
- Flower~Child
- SubjectBlue
- Twit
- Justagirl
- LavenderBlue
- sarebear
- Katlyn67
- HomelessPorcupine
- Chirantha
- Crysi
- Kylan
- Meep
- Cade
- Dream Deep
- Sam
- Teague
- Emerson
- alwaysawriter
- Monki
- thunder_dude7
- Wisemann210
- Juniper
- Insomnia
- Lost_in_dreamland
- Angel of Death
- Meep(:
- OverEasy
- Adnamarine
- *writewatiwant*
- Chirantha
- Canislupis
- Vampyre
- eldermimmi
- Calligraphy
- BrooklynWriter
- Maddy
- Rascalover
- harshita3chaarag
- TheLuckyTurtle
- TheMessenger
- Rosey Unicorn
- BlackNether12
- LadyPurple

---

Mentors, after you have been approved by Rydia, please fill out the form below!

If you're not accepting new buddies, please put "NOT ACCEPTING" at the top of your profile, thanks!

Code: Select all
[b]name:[/b] (what you want your buddy to call you)
[b]age:[/b]

[b]what you write:[/b]
[b]what you review:[/b]

[b]what you read:[/b] (published works, not on YWS)

[b]your "specialty":[/b] (eg: character development, punctuation in poetry, writing action scenes, &c.)

[b]what times you are online:[/b] (include time zone!)

[b]five random things about yourself:[/b]

[b]anything you'd prefer not to read:[/b] (eg: if you don't read slash, you might not want to buddy up with a Harry/Draco 'shipper, and so on)
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

95 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 95
Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:52 pm
View Likes
Clarity says...

name: Clarity, Clar, Clary.

what you write: I mainly write poetry because it's what I think I can put the most emotion and genuine feelings into. I really enjoy constructing poetry and learning different methods used within poetry. I write varying genres with various styles. I've wrote a haiku before, and I reckon it went successfully. So, I'm not restricted to just standard poetry! I write short stories every now and then. It's amazing how you can connect with a character during the process of writing one of these. Action packed yet not too long! I'm also in the process of writing a novel, although it's not my specialty.

what you review: I review pretty much everything. The only thing I'm reluctant to review is novel chapters. This is only because I'd prefer to know the whole story before I make judgement on one extract of it. So, if you ever want a review on a novel, let me know when it's complete and I'll review in full, just like a journalist or something! :) I review poetry the most because it's where I feel I'm the most helpful, but I also review short stories. But, if I get a request for a review, I'll review it, even if I can only offer a small amount of help.

what you read: I enjoy reading many pieces of poetry because there is just such a wide variation to choose from! It's amazing. I also like reading a short story every now and then because it's a nice change and you can always find a nice plot to read. I read books. A lot. Mainly a lot of fiction, in sub genres. But, I like some classics too! One of my most favourite series' has to be Vampire Academy, I actually cried when I finished reading it.

your "specialty": Hm, this is a tough one. I think punctuation in poetry, as well as structure and language devices that can be used to portray different things. I think I'm also fairly good at describing something; such as a scene or a character.

what times you are online: Weekdays between 5pm and 10pm GMT/UTC +0h. On weekends, between 12pm and 3/4pm GMT/UTC +0h, then sometimes later on between 7pm and 12am GMT/UTC +0h. You might catch me at other times, but these are the times where I'll be online, more than likely.

five random things about yourself: Hm, I'm a total bookworm, I absolutely adore reading and get attached to the characters.
I love heavy metal and rock music.
I express my personality through my makeup.
If you ask my opinion on something I'll be 100% honest.
I'm weird and proud of it.

anything you'd prefer not to read: Nothing that's main focus is pure, full on romance. Like, if all that is being talked about is "oh, I love him/her" I cringe and want to hide. Although, if you really want me to, I might make an exception.
"Be courageous and try to write in a way that scares you a little."

she/they

Home is where the books are kept.

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:30 pm
View Likes
Karzkin says...

name:
Karzkin, Mentoro.

what you write:
Poetry.

what you review:
Poetry.

what you read:
Poetry, some lit fiction.

your "specialty":
How to not suck at poetry.

what times you are online:
All the time (Australian Eastern, UTC+11).

five random things about yourself:
I play the saxophone. A lot.

I used to own the world's greatest moustache.

My paddling crew holds two world records (for real).

I sold my soul to MeanMrMustard in exchange for my evil powers.

I almost married PenguinAttack but she left me at the altar.

anything you'd prefer not to read:
Anything that isn't poetry. Will accept short stories very occasionally.
Last edited by Karzkin on Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

K's Killa Kritiques

#TNT

All Hail the undisputed king of the YWS helicopter game.

229 Reviews

Reviews: 229
Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:21 pm
SushiSashimi333 says...

name: Sushi, Sushi-sama, SS.

age: 14.5 (I'm in high-school, I just have a late birthday)

what you write: Novels and short stories, mainly fantasy or sci-fi.

what you review: Novels, short stories, essays. Can't be super mushy, erotica or super scary.

what you read: Novels (fantasy and sci-fi, sometimes realistic fiction) poetry (for fun).

your "specialty": Story and sentence flow. Predictability of a piece. (If I know what's gonna happen I'll tell you.)

what times you are online: Eastern United States: 4:00 - 8:00 most of the time. On weekends it really depends.

1. I love cats! I don't hate dogs, I just prefer them small :p
2. I make "XD" a lot
3. I spell lots of things wrong in the chat bar because I type too fast.
4. I like anime and manga
5. Sometimes I'm a little boyish :p

anything you'd prefer not to read: Mushy romance, erotica, horror, poetry.
Sushi

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:51 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

name: Rydia, Kitty, Kit, Heather, Kitty15, Sabre, Pulchra, Ry. I answer to a lot of names, even 'you over there' would suffice.

what you write: My favourites are fantasy, science fiction, satire/ dark fiction and poetry. I also like historical fiction or non fiction and I have sometimes experimented with mystery, tragedy, romance and lyrics.

what you review: Anything. I review poetry, historical fiction, fantasy, science fiction, non fiction, lyrics, art, photography and basically whatever other people post. I'm not very interested in fan fiction and I can be iffy on romance but I'll review them if you really want me to, I just can't promise to be nice ;)

what you read: Fantasy, science fiction, satire/dark fiction, classics, comedy, historical fiction and occasionally books from the other genres.

your "specialty": Description and Poetry.

what times you are online: It varies but generally I'm on in the evenings GMT time.

1. I used to study Law, but I changed my mind after six months and now I've completed a Creative Writing and English degree.
2. I love the name Rydia which means lotus floating on the water or sometimes rose petals floating on still water. It's Greek and I use it often as a username. In fact it's now my username on YWS!
3. I enjoy basketball, rounders, swimming, skiing, ice skating, tennis and horse riding but other than those I'm not a big fan of sport. And I really don't like watching sport. I also hardly ever do any of the above at present, which is sad!
4. I had a 'buddy' in real life at my college when I was a second year Ambassador.
5. I work as a Researcher at an IT company and one of my duties is editing their daily gazette, which is a newsletter we send to bankers to tell them how bad the economy is!

anything you'd prefer not to read: Fan fiction.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:15 pm
yubbies21 says...

name: yubbies is good, but you can call me Yubster, yubbs, yub, y, or by my name, Emma. Of course, you can make up your own nickname if you want!

what you write: For the past two years, I've focused mostly on poetry, but have recently turned to writing more stories. I'm still working on my on-going project, my novel. I like writing fantasy, mostly medieval fantasy, but anything that is fantastical will do for me! I write a little bit of teen fiction. I've also tried many different genres too, of course.

what you review: I'm good with (almost) anything you can throw at me. I'll do my best to review whatever you can give me! I like reviewing poetry the best, but am recently discovering that I like reviewing short stories and novel chapters just as much!

what you read: Inheritance Cycle will always be my number one! I like the Hunger Games, anything by Gail Carson Levine or Jessica Day George, The book, Wonder, by R. J. Palacio, Chicken Soup, as well as a variety of other teen novels. And, don't laugh, but Garfield Comics will always hold a special place in my heart!

your "specialty": I'm good at realistic dialogue, and characterization. I'm also good at making poems flow smoothly and sound better.

what times you are online: At almost anytime, I'll be online! My timezone is (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada). Daylight Savings is in affect where I am right now. I'll be on in the afternoons during the week and barely leave the computer on weekends (and now that I have my phone, I could sit on my bed all day and not be without YWS!).

1. I'm allergic to corn-pops and once had a severe allergic reaction to them, started throwing up, got hives, and landed myself in the hospital the day after Christmas.

2. I'm left handed.

3. This year, I finally got a school picture that I like.

4. I have a cat, named Belle, (She's my baby! :D) and she sleeps with me every night.

5. This past summer, I painted the walls of my new room blue (favorite color)!

6. (BONUS!) I'm Canadian, eh?

anything you'd prefer not to read: I don't want to read horror or slash. I'd prefer to not read anything R-rated. I'm not dead-set against fan-fiction if it can be read as a stand-alone story. I will read fan-fiction, but only if I've read/seen where it comes from. I will read romance, but not if it's too mushy or stuff like that.
beep

508 Reviews

Reviews: 508
Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:31 pm
dragonfphoenix says...

Name: Knight Dragon
Age: 20 (good heavens, I'm getting old) in human years. But if you go by my story age...I'm ancient.

What you write: Fantasy, a little Sci-Fi, writing advice and philosophy essays, and the occasional poem
What you review: Almost anything.

What you read: Fantasy (which includes mythology, folklore, fairytales...), Classics, the occasional Sci-Fi or mystery, and whatever really good book gets recommended to me.

Your "specialty": grammar and punctuation, plot structure, story concepts, and anything fantasy

What times you are online: Intermittently throughout the day. Predominately after 5:00 P.M. (or 1700 hrs.) in EST.

Five random things about yourself: I built my own Rubik's cube. I memorized 102 digits of pi for kicks and giggles (and learned about the pi vs. tau debate). I am not the only person that reads encyclopedias and dictionaries for fun and inspiration. My most popular story was created by accident. I can hit high soprano notes when I sing falsetto.

Anything you'd prefer not to read: fanfics.
Last edited by dragonfphoenix on Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
D.F.P., Knight Dragon

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:09 am
View Likes
Craz says...

name: Craz

what you write: Short Story
what you review: Short Story, sometimes Novels

what you read: Fantasy and basically any kind of fiction. (My favorite books include The Perks of being a Wallflower, The Fault in Our Stars, The Scorpio Races, and a few others)

your "specialty": Character Development, realistic dialogue, story concepts and stuff like symbolism and foreshadowing.

what times you are online: I live in US Eastern Time Zone and I'm on after four o'clock on weekdays and at random on weekends. But I check at least once a day.

1) I'm left-handed and once tried a shot at being ambidextrous, but got horrible cramps in my right hand.
2) I find Zodiac signs interesting. (I'm a Taurus, by the way)
3) I want to get two small tattoos on each pinkie for my sixteenth birthday, and am in the process of convincing my mom.
4) I have a ginormous puppy named Gracey that has a very squishy and adorable face.
5) My favorite color changes every other day.

anything you'd prefer not to read: Poetry. I'm useless when it comes to it.
"we'll fasten it with some safety pins and tape and a dream, and you're good to go, honey."

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:59 am
Iggy says...

Name: Iggy

What you write: Short stories, fanfiction, novels, the occasional poem...
What you review: Anything. :) I'm not too great with novels because my attention does tend to wander, but I will try my best!

What you read: Most YA novels, sometimes adult. I love kids' books.

Your "specialty": I'd say I'm pretty good with pointing out the obvious, picking out nitpicks, giving a general overview of the story.

What times you are online: Uh, basically on and off during the day. I'm bad and get on during school, lol. Time zone is California, so Pacific.

Five random things about yourself:
- I really love The Little Mermaid
- I like cats
- I'm currently obsessed with The Walking Dead
- I suck at finishing lists

Anything you'd prefer not to read: I'll give everything a shot. :3
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:28 pm
BluesClues says...

name: Blue
what you write: fantasy, fiction, flash fiction, poetry
what you review: short stories, novel chapters, essays, creative nonfiction, some fanfiction

what you read: almost anything fictional, some poetry, and a little nonfiction
your "specialty": dialogue/dialogue tags, characterization

what times you are online: varies, but if you want to chat I'm usually online between 7:30p.m. and 9:00p.m., U.S. Eastern Standard Time.

1. I have an orange cat named Halloween.
2. I like touching trees.
3. My friend wrote me a Pacific Rim fanfic where Newt and Herman adopt the baby kaiju that dies toward the end, because when I was watching I thought it imprinted on Newt. But no, it was just dead. So in the fanfic it does imprint on him because he's the first thing it sees.
4. Good Omens is dangerously close to being my favorite book, although I cannot definitively choose a favorite.
5. You should definitely listen to this because I am on a kick for this song right now and I have to listen to it every time I'm in my friend's car.

anything you'd prefer not to read: slash fiction/erotica is completely out; I almost never read fanfiction, but if you need something reviewed I'm open to it (particularly if it's for a fandom I'm interested in, i.e. Harry Potter, Supernatural, The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra, Merlin, Sherlock).

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:03 am
crossroads says...

name: Feel free to come up with your own and be as imaginative as you wish.

what you write: Novels (and Storybooks). Mostly with some kind of supernatural or fantasy element, more often than not pretty dark and fairly tangled.. and rarely with happily-ever-after ending. I switch between two distinct style: one more genre, one more literary. I adore both. Lately, also, I've been dabbling in short stories/flash fiction, but I'm only just learning the ropes myself.

what you review: Novel chapters, plot ideas, character ideas, occasional poem and occasional short story. Mostly fiction, preferably with a certain degree of twistedness. Any rating works with me, I have yet to be shocked by something another writer's mind comes up with.

what you read: Novels ;) Fiction, mostly. Plus some classics. I'm especially fond of finding new imaginative ways to solve old problems, and always appreciate that talent in writers.

your "specialty": Worldbuilding, Characters, Causation (getting from one plot point to the other through exploring choices, causes, and consequences).
Unreliable narrators are delicious too.

what times you are online: Mostly the evenings/nights, the timezone is GMT+1 (+2 during DST)

* I'm a demon, I'll take your soul and keep it for the time of your apprenticeship (and possibly longer) and feed it cookies.
* I have a pet lizard named Calypso (it's a she).
* I am "serious about writing" in the sense that I plan on polishing up my novels, querying agents, and all those lovely things that go with traditional publishing. (I also did lots of research so I know about this stuff)
* I joined YWS in December 2012.
* If I can spell a word in British or American English, I'll choose British.

anything you'd prefer not to read: I don't and will never understand fan fiction. I can somewhat grasp why someone would want to write it, and kudos to you who make it work, but I'm not in the least attracted to it as a reader.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:52 pm
Shady says...

name: I'll answer to about anything. You're welcome to call me whatever variation of my name you like, but Shady, Slim Shady, Shadow, and Vyper, seem to be most popular.

what you write: Fantasy, mostly novels/chapters and short stories.

what you review: I'm rotten at poetry, but I'm up to trying anything. Novels/short stories are my favorite, though.

what you read: The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, anything else by Tolkien, The Space Trilogy, The Chronicles of Narnia, Madeleine L'Engle books, Divergent, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and I'm just starting Game of Thrones.

your "specialty": Writing action scenes, dialogue, and grammar.

what times you are online: Usually some time between 9-11PM EST on weekdays, and afternoon/evening on the weekends.

I'm studying zoology.

I have plans of living in a human-sized Hobbit Hole one day.

I've got a strange fascination/admiration of swords/daggers/other forged blades.

I grew up on a farm.

I'm learning how to speak French.

anything you'd prefer not to read: romance, erotica, and fan fiction.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:47 am
Carlito says...

name: Carlito

what you write: novels and lyrics. I'm in the process of writing my third YA novel and I write the occasional lyric when my heart says so :)
what you review: novels, short stories, and lyrics. Favorite genres include YA, romance, action/adventure/suspense, realistic. But I'm game for almost anything.

what you read: I love reading YA. I love books that make me think and stay with me after I read. My favorite authors include (and books by that author) - John Green (Looking for Alaska), Gayle Forman (If I Stay/Where She Went), Trish Doller (Where the Stars Still Shine).

your "specialty": I am very, very picky. I know what I like and I know what I don't like and I will tell you exactly what I think. So if you want really honest opinions, I'm your girl. I can talk about all sorts of things - characters, pacing, plot, grammar.

what times you are online: I'm in the central time zone and I'm on at really random times.

1. I'm a senior in college - psych major, and going to graduate school (somewhere) next fall!
2. I have a pet rabbit named Neville. He's the cutest thing on four legs. Trust me. Ask me for a picture - I'll send you five. He's literally the best.
3. Giant flaming Harry Potter fan right here. (See rabbit's name again). I read the whole series cover to cover every summer. Still freak out. Still cry.
4. I have a giant girl crush on Christina Perri. She is everything.
5. I love lions. I have a stuffed animal collection of them (all have been gifts) - up to six and they all live on my bed because I'm an adult.

anything you'd prefer not to read: Not a huge fan of SciFi/Fantasy, poetry, horror, fanfiction.

Feel free to PM me any time! :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:46 am
View Likes
megsug says...

name: Most people call me Megs, but I don't have a preference as far as nicknames go.

what you write: I play with everything, but I'd say my wheelhouse is the novel.

what you review: Everything.

what you read: I have a special love for fantasy and classics, but quite honestly, I'll read anything... This profile is getting pretty predictable...

your "specialty": I have trouble answering this question every time >.> I'm someone who talks a lot about how the reader is going to see something you write. I also tend to focus on big picture and how one puzzle piece affects the whole puzzle... if that makes sense? Feel free to ask me about it if it doesn't.

what times you are online: I'm in EST. I'm in college, so... life is busy. When do you need me to be on? I can usually find a way, and I'll let you know when I can't. I sleep from 12 a.m. to 7 a.m. if I can't sleep from 11 a.m. to 8 a.m. So I'm not your nightowl type. I'm usually free midafternoons and evenings as well as most weekends.

-I hate bananas.
-I'm normally not a picky eater, actually I'd call myself a foodie.
-I'm studying Environmental Studies and Journalism with the hope of writing science articles for a living.
-My first novel was inspired by Batman and The Legend of Zorro.
-I love watching cheesy movies if only to complain about how bad they are. I also love watching good movies.

anything you'd prefer not to read: Nothing, but I have more experience with prose than poetry
Test

662 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 662
Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:00 am
View Likes
Messenger says...

Name: Message or Mess.

What you write: Mostly Fantasy. Medieval style for the most part. I write a little bit of modern settings as well, but enjoy making up my own worlds and creating my own names for them and so on. My writing, although fantasy, contains no magic or wizardry of any kind.

What you review:I review basically anything that is not rated for Language or Mature content. I don;t review essays or short stories as much, but if someone needs a review in one of those categories, I oblige them. I tend to not like to read extremely long stuff, but once again I still do if it's good, or if the user needs some reviews.

What you read: I read all sorts of stuff. Historical fiction, fiction, fantasy. Modern-time fiction, ancient world fiction. The Hunger games and other things in that genre not so much, but I don't completely avoid it. No romance though. I can take books that have romance in them, but no romantic books.

Your "specialty": My specialty is probably with characters (emotions, attitudes, stuff like that) and I'm not too bad at action scenes. I'm OK with punctuation, but that is definitely my strong point.

What times you are online: I am online quite a lot! :D Uhh time zone, lets see. Eastern United States time zone. I think. Usually 11:00 A.M. to 11:00 P.M. I am on and off, but you should be able to catch me. I'm not too busy for the most part.

Five random things about yourself:
1. I love to play NHL Hockey 12 on the PS3.
2. I am in an amazing youth group at my church.
3. I am a Christian.
4. I am currently around 140 in the review rankings all-time.
5. I love to eat food.

Anything you'd prefer not to read: I don't read romance-only novels although I am usually OK with poetry romance, nothing rated for Mature content or extreme language. I don't care much for really deep fantasy and magical stuff.

The brain is wider than the sky.
— Emily Dickenson