z

Young Writers Society

The Buddy System

Reviews: 0
Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:10 pm
hailee says...

Hi,I am looking for a mentor.I don't understand how to find one, so I hope a mentor will find me.Thanks,Hailee

Reviews: 4
Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:09 pm
Moraca101 says...

Alright, I'm new and I would like to request a buddy. I am currently writing a book, but it has yet to have a single chapter posted. I enjoy writing many genres, but I'm not very good at romance.
Maria Trauer: Prolouge is being written. Get hype.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:14 pm
Featherstone says...

@Moraca101: Well, I'm also terrible at romance, but I'm willing to consider mentoring you. I mostly write fantasy, but also science fiction. I won't read anything with explicit romance, but since you don't sound like a big romance person I'm not sure if that would be a problem.

I don't poet well, either, but I'm very good at essays or other nonfictional works. I mostly write fantasy or sci-fi, but can give feedback for nearly any fictional work. Short stories, novel chapters, novellas, etc.

So if you want someone to review anything that's not poetry or romance, I'm your gal. I also know the website pretty well despite being a member of only a few months, so I can help you with those questions as well.

What do you say?
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:17 pm
Holysocks says...

Oh my word, I'm so sorry guys; didn't see these.

@hailee if you still want a mentor I'd be happy to take you under my wing! I'll send you a PM.

@Moraca101 I'd love to be your mentor as well! Keep an eye on your inbox! :P EDIT: Or if Feather can't I mean! XP
100% autistic

117 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:19 pm
Featherstone says...

I actually already took in @hailee, @Holysocks, so that's done. And I won't be insulted if you'd rather take our friend Sox instead of me as a mentor, @Moraca101. She is green, after all :D

he/him/his

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:25 pm
Holysocks says...

Oh that's awesome, Feather! You are on the ball! And Moraca- Feather I'm sure will be a great mentor! Green is moldy and icky and swamp-ish. :P I'm cool with whatever. ;)
100% autistic

117 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:27 pm
View Likes
Featherstone says...

phpBB [media]

@Holysocks :)

he/him/his

Reviews: 0
Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:18 pm
Zuri says...

Hey guys! I'm new here and I need a mentor to show me the ropes.

I like to write fantasy, mystery, adventure stories and I also wanna experiment with other genres but I don't usually write romance. I'm still not confident enough about my writing (since English is not my first language and sometimes I feel like I'm not creative enough) and I feel like I still have much more to learn, so I'd like to have a mentor who can also help me improve my skills, if its possible! :mrgreen:

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:45 pm
Evander says...

name: Adrian, Adri, Castor, etc

what you write: Freestyle poetry, prose poetry, coming of age novels/short stories, urban fantasy, magic in realistic settings, science fiction, science fantasy, and probably a lot of other stuff I'm forgetting.
what you review: Poetry (I can work with structured and freestyle), novels (almost any genre), fan fiction (specifically Harry Potter and Percy Jackson), and various kinds of short stories.

what you read: Lots and lots of YA novels! Mostly contemporary, some fantasy, lots of stuff that deals with race and identity, and the occasional book of historical fiction.

your "specialty": Uh, hmm. Probably pointing out inconsistencies in both prose and poetry when it comes to style and development, along with highlighting areas that need revision. Description, imagery, and general flow.

what times you are online: I'm homeschooled, so I'm pretty much online from when I wake up to when I fall asleep. Currently I am in EDT.

five random things about yourself:
1. Hamilton is an obsession of mine; I was once told to stop referencing it for 24 hours and I failed miserably.
2. As mentioned before, I am homeschooled. I have never attended public school, although my parents have talked about enrolling me in high school/college classes a lot.
3. I desperately want a dwarf hamster and will stop at nothing until I get one.
4. I procrastinate, a lot.
5. I have four siblings in total. Three are half-sisters from my dad's previous marriage; they are all older than me. I have one little brother who will be turning 11 this August.

anything you'd prefer not to read: Articles and essays: I don't know how to review them, although I am working on learning how to.
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:47 pm
Evander says...

@Zuri, I am willing to become your mentor if you want!
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

117 Reviews

Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:10 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

I have updated my profile to match the current state in this colour.

Also, consider this a shoutout to everyone: please edit your profiles (or PM me if you'd prefer) so we know which people are still active and who can't take on any mentees at this point. Just to keep the list in the intro post up to date, and make sure our potential mentees don't get confused or disheartened =]
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

117 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:53 pm
Featherstone says...

Will do, @ChildOfNowhere! @Zuri, it'd be my pleasure to help you. I write mainly fantasy, including horror and adventure. I don't do mystery much, but I'm working on a mystery short story - heck, maybe you could help me! I'm not one of the best writers on here or anything, but English is my first language and I daresay I'm pretty good at it, especially with grammar and such.

Here's the link to my profile, Zuri:

Feather's Buddy System Profile

he/him/his

364 Reviews

Reviews: 364
Thu May 04, 2017 7:08 pm
zaminami says...

name: Kara/ The Nerd Goddess

what you write: Fiction, mystery, horror... mostly short stories and novels with the occasional bad poem.
what you review: Anything that's a poem, any non-fiction, or general.

what you read: Everything XD

your "specialty": Um description in my horror stuff? I don't know my specially!

what times you are online: I'm on pretty much all the time. I'm not comfortable listing my time zone, but I'll say it's somewhere in America.

five random things about yourself:
  • I'm in the Undertale, BatIM, Inheritance, WoF, Star Wars, and Creepypasta fandoms.
  • I will say ANYTHING as dramatic, sarcastic, or as horror-y as possible.
  • I'm good at showing people around clubs.
  • If you ship Sanspyrus I will disown you.
  • I am bisexual, and if you don't like that, then don't be my menthe.

anything you'd prefer not to read: Non-fiction, non-fiction, Sanspyrus Fanons, fanfictions that I don't know.

I wish to become a mentor :)
tartaglia, they/he lesbian.
i also go by skylar and reginald!
First member of the bio trio™.
victim of the writer’s block disease

284 Reviews

Reviews: 284
Wed May 24, 2017 4:14 pm
RubyRed says...

name: (what you want your buddy to call you) Call me "Ruby", "Ru", "Red", ect.

what you write: Poems mostly, then shorts, and some essays for debates

what you review: Anything really except free verse poems, fanfiction (except Star Wars), and like 8 chapters posted at once... (I was actually asked to review an 8 chapter post xD)

what you read: (published works, not on YWS) Eh, let's just say I love C.S. Lewis, and amusing but short novels

your "specialty": (eg: character development, punctuation in poetry, writing action scenes, &c.) Maybe my specialty is description... or poetry rhyming

what times you are online: (include time zone!) UTC-4 Available from 5pm-10pm on week days and all day on weekends (unless otherwise specified)

five random things about yourself: I have red hair (hence the name), I believe in God, I have 5 brothers, I don't like dissecting in Biology, and I'm not vegan or vegetarian

anything you'd prefer not to read: (eg: if you don't read slash, you might not want to buddy up with a Harry/Draco 'shipper, and so on) I might read Harry Potter over the summer break but I'm not inclined to, and I don't usually get into what's really popular

I'm willing to mentor! :D
You can't blame the writer for what the characters say.
— Truman Capote

Review link below!
Ruby's Reviews

Knight of the Green Room

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:36 am
WyvrynScribe says...

Newbie looking for a buddy!
quick things about me and my writing: I can kinda do poetry, but will also get spontaneous ideas for short stories/books/novels and write them down. I have series laid out, and journals where I write down beginnings of books just so I have them somewhere. I have no self esteem, and no courage, and think that I really shouldn't review stuff because I'm afraid of being stupid. I'm 14, and can't believe I'm going to be 15 next year. I started high school, and am taking computer classes, but hope that
I can get a free spot for creative writing next. Well, that's basically it! He he... ;<;

Just found a Buddy!
Last edited by WyvrynScribe on Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes, you want to scream for change. Other times, you just want to ask for help. But too many times, we're too afraid to speak. - Rachel (maybe inspired by someone IDK I just made it up tell me if I subconsciously copied or something)

Meet me in Montauk.
— Charlie Kaufman