Young Writers Society

Oh, great. Here comes another one.

25 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 25
Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:00 am
View Likes
Gringoamericano says...

Hello, my name is Gringoamericano, and I enjoy writing oddly dark comedies & satires. My stories tend to have characters that never stop talking (probably a consequence of watching too many Kevin Smith movies), and almost all of them use humor to cope with their depressing situations.

I guess one of my biggest problems is that I tend to give all of the good dialogue to the archetypes I enjoy playing off of (the smart-alec, the jerk, and a character who became too much of an author avatar), and it left the other characters without much of a personality or dialogue. I really need to figure out how to overcome that.

So, what kind of stories and characters do you like writing about, and what do you think your flaws are?
"Can't break an omelette without making a few eggs"

From the ashes of the old YWS Chat; it's the Unofficial YWS Discord server. Come join us!: https://discordapp.com/invite/UhSr7uW

Reviews: 4
Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:14 am
View Likes
crmcgill says...

Hey americano! :) I'm crmcgill, but you can call me Gill! Welcome to YWS! People are really helpful here, and we all try to make each others' writing better! I hope you'll like it here. You can PM (private message) me if you have any questions or if you need reviews!
I like to write fantasies and historical fiction. It's an odd combination, but I really like to write about things that I have to research. I tend to put a lot of personality into my main characters and almost none into my less important ones, like you, but I'm working on fixing on that. And my major flaws are that I tend to introduce characters that seem like they will be important to a story, but they are only around for a few chapters.
And again, welcome to YWS!
Open the gates and seize the day! Don't be afraid and don't delay.

To die would be an awfully big adventure.

I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

Just call me Gill!

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:43 am
View Likes
Stellabeam says...

Hey gringo!! I like your username :D I'm Stella and welcome to YWS. I like fantasies, historical fiction, poetry, suspense and a whole lot more :D One of my flasws would be being repetitive in my story lines a little and using the same type of words and sentence structures. See you around
“A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five.”- Groucho Marx

If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."-J. Danforth Quayle

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it- M. Twain

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:44 am
View Likes
Stellabeam says...

and spelling as you can see, sheesh
“A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five.”- Groucho Marx

If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."-J. Danforth Quayle

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it- M. Twain

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:49 pm
AlfredSymon says...

Heya Gringe! I'm Al, nice to meet ya! Welcome to YWS!

Dark, eh? Odd? Those to words simply go great with each other! ;) Anyways, I'll make this here reply short, but I'll give you a Greeter Message! Be sure to read it!

Your pal,
Al :D
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:04 pm
Stori says...

Hi there, Gringo. You could call what I write fantasy, though my biggest flaw is a lack of setting. (Someday I'd like to travel all over the globe, just to remedy that.)

YWS is undergoing renovations right now, so don't be alarmed if you find things have changed overnight. You can ask anyone for help, and most likely they will.

We are discreet sheep; we wait to see how the drove is going, and then go with the drove.
— Mark Twain