z

Young Writers Society

Hi, I'm New! =)

Reviews: 0
Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:25 pm
AmandaKurka says...

Ollo, everyone. :smt003 I'm new to here, but definitely not new to writing—I've been working seriously towards publication for just over six years now, and I'm in the final stages of polishing my epic YA fantasy novel to query. I'm a couple months shy of 19, and I'm currently taking a light year off school before diving into college full time. Given that, I have lots of time to edit and write and pursue my musical interests and all those things. I'm over on the WriteOn forum, which is relatively new, and I thought, why not join another? :P So…hi. :)
"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." —Ulysses, by Tennyson

http://amanda-the-aspiring.blogspot.com/

198 Reviews

Reviews: 198
Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:07 am
inkwell says...

Another new Amanda! :P Welcome to YWS! That's awesome and inspiring news, good luck with publication. By the way, I like Calvin and Hobbes too. c:
"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible." — Einstein

Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:24 pm
AmandaKurka says...

Thanks for the welcome! :)

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:27 pm
Demeter says...

Welcome Amanda!

You'll come to notice that YWS is the best thing that's ever happened to you... ;)

What's your novel about? Do you write something else as well?

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or need help :)

Demeter
x
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

249 Reviews

Reviews: 249
Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:22 pm
View Likes
murtuza says...

Hey, Mandy! ^.^

Glad you could join us here on YWS! This is a great place to be if you're looking for a place to Read, write, post, procrastinate and make loads of buddies.

Your novel sounds like an interesting piece of work. I would love to read it.
So what music do you like? And what do you play?
I can sing... I think. And maybe strum a few strings of the guitar. :D
But it sounds like you're going to do well.

So have fun here and let me know if you ever happen to need any help around the site or just need a chat.
It's not about the weight of what's spoken.
It's about being heard.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:50 am
View Likes
phenomenologist says...

Hi Amanda - welcome to you.

Im new too - we should be friends :)

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:03 pm
AmandaKurka says...

@Demeter—Hahaha…the question to end all questions…my novel's about a world ruled by false gods and magic—which is a corrupted, evil power—and my MC's quest to defeat them all and free everyone. You know, a ton more complicated than that, but yes. Actually, that's my summary for the series, which is seven books. The first, the only currently completed, is MC leaving home, learning about her power, discovering the truths of the world, and getting to a place she can actually learn her power.

If by write something else, you mean other novels, then yes—I've got three or four I'm also writing in spurts, and I'll concentrate on actually finishing two of them once the first novel is done being polished. :) If you mean other forms of writing, then yes, also, haha. I've got a small handful of short stories, a couple poems, and one completed song to my name.

@murtuza—I generally like singer-songwriter folk type music, preferably with jazz influences, classical—the more emotion-driven style than the math-driven style—piano solo stuff, orchestral stuff, non-American folk music, like Indian and Celtic…lots, haha. I like some rock and pop, also. :)

As for what I play, guitar and piano, and the vocal chords, lol. Played viola for three years, but dropped it for guitar—I've been learning guitar on and off for about four years, mostly self-taught, but I'd say I'm at an intermediate level…I never practice. So that doesn't bode well for my piano skills, either, but I've only been learning that for a year, so there's hope for me. ^_^ The only thing I really practice with consistency is singing, because I do it all the time. I took about a year of lessons, and they really helped improve the technical aspects. …I like music. :D

@phenomenologist—Yes, let's! :smt003

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:21 pm
Lava says...

Hi Mandy!

Welcome to you and Hobbes buddy!

~L
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

Reviews: 1
Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:53 pm
CStar says...

Hey Amanda! I'm new too but new too pretty much everything? You mentioned musical interest? what is your musical interest?
Coraggio di essere piü forte

"Yesterday you said tomorrow, so JUST DO IT."
— Shia Labeouf