z

Young Writers Society

The Lone Wolf (or writer)...

Reviews: 0
Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:43 pm
Faulty_Decade says...

Hello there. Yup, it's Christmas day (here in the UK at least), yup I hope you've all had a great day and yup I don't feel guilty about being on the internet on Christmas day. :mrgreen:

A quick introduction, feel free to skip it (it won't hurt my tough shell). My name is Anthony; pronounce it with the 'th' then you are likely going to discover that I'm not a fan of that, grinds my gears so-to-speak (instead I should have been called Antony). Anywho I began my voyage of the pen to paper when I was knee high to a grasshopper, around 8 which was the first time that I apparently 'attempted' (I say attempted although I don't have any memory of actually doing it) to write my first novel. I fell off the writing wagon as I moved into early teens, regaining at the age of fourteen where I came up with an idea... that idea I'm still with (now aged nineteen, yes, I'm knocking on a bit).

Right all that boring stuff is out of the way I can at least mention some other stuff. The name of this particular thread I chose as I believe it reflects my writing life (not the actual writing itself), no. Instead it reflects the 'trouble' the written word (or obsession with it, which is probably more accurate :smt002) has caused... typically between those who believe it not to be an achievable goal.

Anyway, I thought between my watching of a newly acquired boxset "Clint Eastwood Dirty Harry Collection", (Yup I'm a fan of Clint Eastwood, especially the Westerns.8)) I thought I'd get my introduction rolling.

One last thing, you'll learn to hate me in the grammar department, it's not my strongest point and is apparently a side affect of my disability with numbers (these things are apparently not clean-cut, either that or they just told me that to make me feel better). One thing I've learned thus far in my life is that really, algebra really isn't needed, ha.
Anthony.

Festival Producer for BLAZE.
http://www.blazeonline.org.uk/

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:17 pm
Lavvie says...

Hi Anthony!

Bah, Christmas Day or not, a lot of YWSers are online. Perhaps not so many at the moment, but YWS only just recently had a huge makeover. That's why it seems a little basic, but it'll be running more smoothly by the time mid-January rolls around. In the meantime, why don't you check out this? It's a basic tutorial of the new layout.

What kind of things do you like to write? And what's this longterm idea you've been writing? I'm very curious! I write anything and everything - I like to experiment in all genres and aspects of writing. :D

And as for grammar, you didn't seem too bad and I like pointing out things like that. So, good job!

Don't hesitate to drop me a line or one of the moderators. (The light and dark greens - however the dark green ones are General Moderators and the lighter ones Junior Mods. Pretty self-explanatory, I think.)

Yours,
Lavvie

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

Reviews: 0
Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:58 am
Faulty_Decade says...

Ta for the reply Lavvie.

I write a lot of random stuff, that's considerably normal up unto a point but the majority of this 'random' stuff is Fantasy. I like the freedom of fantasy I suppose (yes, I'm one who likes to name every shop, pub and number each house on the street and name each resident on those streets), so fantasy it is. I also write a lot of scripts, like short films (which I plan on funding myself to direct). They tend to be less fantasy and more in the 'real world' but with the sides of fantasy (for example if an angel came down to earth, I don't write stuff like that but that probably best describes it).

As for my currently lengthy idea (I've already got a second series of books that is slowly bubbling in my mind, not related to the current series of course) it gets somewhat complex by the time you reach the last book; the fourth. Basically I've (for some very, very odd reason) always liked the deterrence concepts in war and starts going all these different ways (yes, I'm absolutely rubbish at explaining it, I'll try again later! :P )

As for grammar again I think it goes worse if I rush (which I suppose is anyone's problem!). I'm not perfect at it but I've never really had any complaints bar the odd few changes.
Anthony.

Festival Producer for BLAZE.
http://www.blazeonline.org.uk/

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:43 am
AlfredSymon says...

Hey, friend! This is Alfred Symon, giving a Greeter Message!

Welcome to YWS, a community in pursuit for the growth and development of young writers through mental and social activities. In other words, we're one group of writers yearning for development!

Once again, I'm Al, nice to meet you. For starters, you can post any literary, heck, ANY kind of piece which needs second opinions and views here at YWS. We also offer social activities like blogs, chats and especially our reviewing system.

This is the system I'm talking about. You comment on a work of another with a minimum of 250 words, then you get a maximum number of 50 points for that. But please, don't review only to get points for your posts! We writers need reviews to develop and grow better, and so we treasure good reviews. The system also wants you to explore different works to gain ideas and techniques for yourself. We're one family here anyway! Then, using those points, you can go to the submit page and the rest follows. A post consumes 100 points by the way!

There are a lot to learn here at YWS! You can ask me, if you want. Or if you want a more accurate perception of things, try to ask our administrators, characterized by the read and green coloration of their username. They know a lot better. If you're a loner, you can read tours and help posts in the Welcome Area.

If you want to ask me a question or you want me to give your post a Quick Critique (my personal version of comment), just post it in my wall. Simply like Facebook.

Well, your journey starts now. Reach for the stars and pray for your betterment. The road to success is hard. But no one said it couldn't be fun, right?
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:30 am
starrgazer says...

Hi Anthony (almost called you Wolf because I thought 'the lone wolf' was your username and I missed your name, haha), welcome to yws :) Like Lavvie said, the whole site has been changed and some of the features that it use to have hasn't been added yet. For more details, you could check the red 'What happened' box to the right.

On Christmas day, I woke up at 12 and found my whole family was still sleeping so :P Internet was basically what I did for half of Christmas too. Now, Its New Year's Eve at Canada and yet I'm still on my computer. :)

Your grammar seems pretty good though too and no worries, it'll improve over time.

Anyways, before I keep rambling on, I hope you'll love it here. I look forward to reading your posts and if you have any questions or whatever, send me a pm.

Starr
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade

Pffffft, yeah right...fat lot of help sour lemon juice would do. When life also throws me a bag of sugar, then we'll start talking.

:)

gonna be honest, i dont believe in the moon
— sheyren