z

Young Writers Society

How I Write

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:20 pm
TheBucketman says...

Well, for starters, I have this odd tendency to have a death of some sort in my writing, without even trying to put it in. I just read it over and think, "Wow, I just made yet another main character die a seemingly pointless death."

Maybe it's because my favorite genres are horror, fantasy, and action. I don't know. Another problem I have is actually writing out what is in my head, so that's a set back.

Other than that, I am a good writer, I guess, because many people have told me I'm an extremely good writer for my age, but I don't know if that's true. I just write out a story, and people say, "Nice job, I didn't expect you to be so good for your age." Maybe when I post my first story (oh yeah, forgot to mention I only really write short stories, I can't stand writing chapter books) you can be the judge of if those people are right.

Also, please leave some tips on how to get past those writing barriers in my path, because it sort of gets... annoying.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:18 am
HibiscusBlush says...

Hii! I'm Ceely. What you're saying here is interesting to me; I share a couple of your struggles as well and thought I'd confess some things I've learned about them. =)

Well, for starters, I have this odd tendency to have a death of some sort in my writing, without even trying to put it in. I just read it over and think, "Wow, I just made yet another main character die a seemingly pointless death."

I feel, as long as the character has built a relationship with the reader through his struggles, when he dies, it could be an extremely affectionate moment. I, personally, love those types of stories because they touch my heart the most and impact me the strongest...on top of my getting attached to where as I read, I'm right there with them fighting their battles, y'know, physically or mentally, whatever the degree of action, horror, I'm right there with them! Lololololz!

Another problem I have is actually writing out what is in my head, so that's a set back.

You know, I have this same problem! But what I've figured out is to do whatever you can to focus, hone in on your vision and break down what you see into words and keep at it. By no means have I mastered this method yet, =/ but it helps.

Now, you're good with writing short stories...we are very different on that level. XD The reason I say that is because, the majority of the time, I envision these complex action scenes like you'd see in the movies Transformers, so converting them into writing comes out to suit the form a saga, y'know! I have a hard time keeping things short and simple as of late which is difficult because I want to keep sharpening my writing skills and build my portfolio, and short stories are great to get in the practice but I get so excited over the bigger idea I go to work on that!

I'm totally interested in reading your work and it's really great to meet ya! Hopefully we can talk sometimes...swap tips! :smt003

~Ceely
Previously known as Aloha

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:11 pm
TheBucketman says...

Thanks for the reply! My first story will be out in a week or two, I'm guessing, because it takes a while for me to suddenly have a good idea. Once again, thanks!

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:36 am
HibiscusBlush says...

Awesome! I'll keep a look out; and you're very welcome. :D
Previously known as Aloha

One fish, two fish, red fish, aardvark.
— alliyah