z

Young Writers Society

Vitriolic Velitations (absent)

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:07 am
Vervain says...

Okay, so maybe the weird words in the title drew you in. (Vitriolic: harmful, severe, caustic. Velitation: a skirmish, a scuffle.) Those are two of my favourite words, and not just because of the alliteration, but because they sound... interesting when put together. This is about me, so I figured I would start it off with some of my favourite words. (My little sister is looking over my shoulder at this point with her cat. I don't quite mind, since the cat is warm.)

Again. This is about me. I should focus.

I'm Chelsea - or Chelse - or Ancient, if you'd like. Cient. Anci. I'm female, as you can see. Ultimately female, though I did have a tomboy year when I was eleven. I'm a sophomore in high school, fifteen years old and one of the youngest in my class, since my birthday is in June. I know a few people in my class who are younger than me, but not many. I try to use "who" and "whom" correctly ever since I learnt how, and I write with British spellings, which can get me into trouble with my teachers when they mark down for "incorrect spelling". To be frank, I think the words look prettier spelt the British way. Grey is smoother than gray; colour instils a sense of belonging that color cannot.

I'm tall. Keep that in mind; that's a key factor in my life. I stick out already, so I decided to start dyeing my hair precisely so I would have a reason to stick out. I do my own makeup, except for eyeliner, because I totally suck at putting eyeliner on. My hair is unbearably curly and must be brushed at least twice a day to keep some semblance of unknottedness (which is totally a word when you have to deal with what I deal with).

I don't watch very much television. When I do, it's either court shows, the news, or Big Brother. (I'm shamelessly addicted to Big Brother.) I also watch Survivor when I can, mostly because I think both BB and Survivor are good social experiments regarding different stages of the human psyche when faced with various problems. My favourite court shows are Judge Judy and Judge Alex, mostly because they're the ones I watch most often, and I enjoy seeing people get caught in their lies when they do dare to lie openly. Also, my mum and I try to figure out who's going to win, based on case, information presented, and appearance. (Yes, we take appearance into account. No, we aren't shallow witches; we just share a belief that appearance - clothing, cosmetics, etc. - has a reflection on the personality of a man/woman, especially since they're showing up in court on TV.) Online, I watch the Addams Family and various anime. Wednesday Addams is adorable. Carolyn Jones as Morticia is freakin' smokin', and that's me speaking as a straight fifteen-year-old girl.

As for music, I listen to very much anything and everything. I think music is wonderful; it saved my life and my faith at one point, and I make it a point to at least try something out before denouncing it. Some of the bands I listen to are Fireflight, Collide, Three Days Grace, 3 Doors Down, The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, the Cranberries, Sugarcult, Nox Arcana, Black Veil Brides, *NSYNC (my guilty pleasure), Alice Cooper, Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, Lady Gaga, Siouxsie and the Banshees, and the rest of my hundred-thirty or so artists on my iPod, plus the ones I have nothing for on there yet. If you mention music, expect me to be interested.

Movies. Movies are not my life, but I do enjoy a few. Beetlejuice is a fun movie; I adore it to the bone. Season of the Witch is awesome, no matter what any critics say; I think it's an entertaining movie about the plague, and that's all that matters to me. (Yes, I find it entertaining. Yes, I'm most likely demented to some degree or another.) The Addams Family movies are also some of my favourites.

Writing, books, everything: The most I need to say about this is that I have a constantly-expanding personal library of about two hundred books. I aim to have it at about two hundred fifty or three hundred by the end of next year. I love my books, but I need money to buy them, and I'm undeniably broke. No job, I don't get paid for chores, no nothing.

I'm in chorus at my high school and love to sing; if you start speaking with me about that, be prepared for an onslaught of musical terms. I hope to become a teacher of some sort when I'm older - either an English teacher or a music teacher, a band director, a choir director. My middle school band director, a professional flautist herself, called me a natural at the flute and actually sold one of her flutes to my family for me to play when I left middle school. I love her, and she loves me; I miss her a tonne.

Well, I think that's it. Oh, yeah, family. My parents are divorced and we don't know where my dad is; my mother has total custody of me and my younger sister, and we put up with my grandfather. My aunt, uncle, and grandmother are moving back to our area in a few weeks (eek!) and should be here for Thanksgiving and Christmas, which will be the first ones with most of our local family attending. I have three aunts, four uncles (one deceased), numerous great-aunts and uncles, and a couple of living great-grandparents. My family's huge because my great-grandparents each married a couple of times, and even we don't know where all of our family is. I suffer from older/middle child syndrome and, while sometimes I act like I despise her, actually love my younger sister more than I love my older half-brother (nearly 30) or my older half-sister (nearly 23).
stay off the faerie paths

What's the point of being a grown-up if you can't be a bit childish sometimes?
— 4th Doctor