z

Young Writers Society

Welcome New Members!

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:40 pm
Onyxlunacy says...

Hey, I'm Sarah but I also go by Onyx (a penname I've picked up over the years) so you can call me either. Whatever is less common or whatevs.

Umm... I've been writing in some form or another since I was ten, so about nine years, then. Outside of school I haven't had any offical training and my grammar, for all intents and purposes, is terrible. Nouns/adverbs/prepositons...these things never stuck in my head quite right.

I've been working on the same book for about a year. It started out as a short story that a friend and I did for our Philosophy class and it is slowly growing bigger and bigger. Unfortunately my biggest weakness as a writer (besides an inability to take direct criticism, really just rip my heart out already) is an inability to finish a piece once I start it. After about 40 pages I get bored of the tense or the characters or an element of the plot doesn't work anymore, so instead of fixing it I just throw it out and start over. Thats why I mostly stick to poetry, because my complete lack of an attention span fares better. I also blog and love to read and listen to music and talk about poltics/the news.

Wow, that was a lot. But hey, I'm just throwing myself out there! :)

-Sarah

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:52 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

I think I shall call you Onyx, since we have I-don't-know how many Sarahs on here.

Be sure to check out the rules in the post above yours. The two most important ones are: review two works before you post any of your own and don't use chat-speak (some abbreviations are okay, just don't overdo it).

Oohh, I think we all have that problem at one point or another. If you want help with that, you might want to post in Writing Tips.

If you need anything, feel free to PM me.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:17 pm
moon jumper says...

Hey everyone! I'm moon jumper, but you can call me moon, jumper, moon jumper, or even MJ if you like :D .

I love reviewing stuff (though I don't do that often). I have a thread in a sub-forum (Will Review for Food) in The Lounge. It's called, "Will Review Stories. 10-4." I would love for y'all to come and post something there!

Anyway, Rosie got all the rules taken care of, so just PM me if you like.

~jumper :smt026
Writing once a day keeps the voices away, and I've created a blog all about it: Daily Dose.
...and I'm now trying to create a user group based on the idea! Tell me if you're interested!

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:29 pm
fire_of_dawn says...

Ah, Onyx, 'tis the same for me. I admit it.

'Round here, though, we're a friendly crew. Don't hesitate to ask for help; and if you need reviews, head on over to the Will Review for Food board. (It's in Community Forums, right under The Lounge.)
"Do? I'll tell you what we'll do! We'll be ready!"
Matthias, from Redwall

"Life consists of doing the impossible."
Brother Fir, The Heir of Mistmantle

Random avatar

Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:07 am
Vain Afterlife says...

I would be Mira.

I've been writing for, maybe about three years? Something like that. I'm obviously still improving (I truly need to) but I have about 100 pages of a story typed, which is the most progress I've ever made. So I'm trying not to be a pessimist (which is my nature). My inability to finish a story often gets in my way, and sometimes I'm a bit too philosophical.

My current story is called "Forever and a Day", and it's about the afterlife. Which probably explains the philosophy thing. Most people claim to like it, but I'm slow to believe them.

Oh, and if I offend you in any way during my stay here, it's probably unintentional (my personality is very sacastic and dark and easily angered, most of the time), so please forgive me if that happens.

1272 Reviews

Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:19 am
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

Be sure to keep in mind two rules:

1- Review two works before posting any of your own
2- Cut chat-speak. Some abbreviations and all alliteration are okay, just don't overdo it.

(Also, there are more rules. Be sure to check them out here.)

We all tend to be a bit wacky here. You'll fit right in!

Can't wait to read some of your stuff! Just, make sure you review first. YWS is a great place to get help, and it can be great motivation for finishing!

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:57 pm
roxy1995 says...

Hi, everyone, my name is shannon, im new
how does this site work?

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:35 pm
Demeter says...

Josh, Onyx, Mira, Shannon – welcome all! Hopefully you'll enjoy :)

And Shannon >> it would be best for you to read the rules and guides first, they'll give a basic idea. Check also the Help and Support Wiki, it's amazing!

PM me if you have any questions. :)

Demeter
xxx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:44 pm
*DaughteroftheMoon* says...

Hello there! Welcome to YWS!
Just check the rules out, and you'll be just fine. If anyone ever needs reviews, or even help finding their way around the site, feel free to Pm me! I love to help! See you around the forums, good luck.
~Alyss
Amor Vincit Omnia

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:57 am
FamousAuthor says...

Hi, I'm Ryan,

No questions as of yet, so... hi :D
If you like my writing please visit my blog at http://writesite.squarespace.com/

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:25 am
Meshugenah says...

Hi! *waves* If you get questions, you can ask me!
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

1272 Reviews

Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:40 pm
Rosendorn says...

This might be what pushes this thread to 100 pages...

Hiya and welcome! Check out the rules (to be found above your post) and everything's cool. If you have questions, you can also ask blue names. We are Greeters, and it is our job to answer basic navigation questions. Light green and green names are Jr. mods and Mods respectivly, answer more advanced questions, and Mesh here is an Admin. Their Red names means they keep the site running. Ask them the super complicated questions.

So, what that boils down to is everybody is willing to help. All you need to do is ask!

368 Reviews

Reviews: 368
Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:58 pm
Shine says...

Hey Mira,Shanon,Ryan,Josh, Onyx!!!A big welcome to you all!

I guess by now you did get use to the site,and how it works.

If you need any help feel free to pm me.

See you all around,get posting your work! :wink:

~Sayani~
"A good plot is like a dream.If you dont write down your dream on paper the moment you wake up,the chances are you'll forget it and it'll be gone forever"-Roald Dalh.

272 Reviews

Reviews: 272
Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:03 pm
beckiw says...

Hey my name is Rebecca people mainly call me becki but any other abbreviation is fine with me :P I am 19 and live in Scotland.

Just came to have a look around possibly post some stuff but I am usually quite secretive. I look forward to getting to know you all and have a read of some stories.

May take a while for to get to grips with the site though so bare with me :)

1272 Reviews

Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:12 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hello and welcome Becki!

Since the rules are not listed on this page, here is the link. To slim down them down a bit, keep in mind the two main points:

1- Review two works before posting any of your own. It helps make sure everybody gets a review. It's asked you always keep that 2:1 ratio
2- Keep chat-speak to a minimum. That means proper grammar, spelling and caps. Some abbreviations and all alliteration are okay, just don't overdo it.

It's perfectly okay to be secretive! If you're worried about your work being torn up, put a note at the beginning along the lines of: Please don't be too harsh. Most of us will comply!

"She doesn't even go here!"
— Damian Leigh