z

Young Writers Society

How to Start a Fire

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:33 pm
Firestarter says...

About me, hmm...My real name is Jack and I'm 16. I'm in the first year of College, which is the second to last year of American High School (Junior, is it?) and I'm studing English, Maths, History and Psychology. I live in Stockport, a suburb of the great city of Manchester in England, UK.

I began writing ever since we did creative writing in primary school, but it grew into a hobby when I was around 8, when I did a story about a mountain climber. I can't remember it all, but it was cool for my first try, anyway! Since then I've written on and off, just got back into it recently. My latest book, the Sun Prophet, is the furthest I've ever got into a novel. Usually they just tail off very quickly. I write fantasy most often; sometimes sci-fi. I reckon my strengths are in description, and my weakness is character development.

Other hobbies include playing football (soccer) and tennis. I also enjoy a lot of computer games. My favourite food is Shepherd's Pie, my favourite colour is orange, I support Liverpool FC (because of family).

UPDATED (because my music is expanding too quickly)

My favourite bands are in no particular order:

Ash
Razorlight
The Libertines
The Killers
Franz Ferdinand
Green Day
Oasis
Bloc Party
The Clash
The Cure
Dogs
Feeder
The Futureheads
The Hives
Kaiser Chiefs
Mando Diao
The Mars Volta
Nine Black Alps
The Others
The Paddingtons
Pink Floyd
The Ramones
The Smiths
The Who

My favourite films include Lord of the Rings Trilogy and Blade. My favourite author is either David Gemmell or Bernard Cornwell.

I also really enjoy learning about history and like to talk about world affairs any time. I'm an atheist and I'm very lazy.

Something I learnt today, my town is the 12th worst town in England. Sounds about right to me :)

Anyhoo, that's me.
Last edited by Firestarter on Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:19 am
dyingmoon says...

hey this thread didn't tell me how to start a fire...
you know, i've always wanted to live in England, i don't like the heat of Australia. You're in your first year of college? aren't you a bit young? My brothers love soccer and are annoyed with australian tv as they play a lack of it on our telly :P I have about the same tastes in music. Anyway what's wrong with manchester? can't be that fezzy(not nice)
Sometimes in order to find the light one must risk the darkness

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:31 pm
-KayJuran- says...

So... uh... whats wrong with being in the first year of college?!? I'm in a sixth form but they call it a technology college (that just means they get
a grant from the government to fill it with computers and things)

I like sixth form... :roll:
Last edited by -KayJuran- on Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:08 pm
Firestarter says...

hey this thread didn't tell me how to start a fire...

Oh but it did. Just take the first and last letter of each word, and it gives you an anagram. Work this out and you find out detailed instuctions on arsenism :lol:

You're in your first year of college? aren't you a bit young?

College is a word used in England for a different thing. It's really a 6th form college, but I can never be bothered typing the whole thing out. It's from ages 16-18.

Anyway what's wrong with manchester?

You mean me saying the 12th worst town? I was referring to Stockport, but hey. I don't know. It's filled with scallies (people who wear sports clothes and go round annoying the hell out of everyone) and the tow centre is a mess, but it's improving.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:41 pm
Elocina says...

Your real name is Jack? Can't really see that...hmm. Then again, I go by C here, yet my real name is (like quite a few others here) Nicole. Gaa, that looks strange here!
Didn't recognize any of the bands listed besides Green Day. Have you heard Enya?
Feeling stupid? Follow me!

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:23 pm
Zion says...

Hey my cousins name is Nicole (and her brother is named Elvis... :? :P How weird is THAT. btw my real name is Cyril *shrugs* reminds me on cereal *yuck*
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

Reviews: 0
Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:29 pm
Guest says...

I like your real name! It sounds like something I'd use in one of my stories...

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:15 am
Firestarter says...

Didn't recognize any of the bands listed besides Green Day. Have you heard Enya?

:o

You've not heard of Ash? *looks shocked*

You've not heard of the Libertines? *looks hurt*

You've not heard of Franz Ferdinand? *tear runs down cheek*

YOU'VE NOT HEARD OF OASIS? *cries*

(Joke).

I am offended you haven't heard about Oasis.

THE Manchester Band.

*sigh*

I have heard of Enya, yes.

(sorry I'm in a strange mood, ignore me.)

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:32 am
Galatea says...

"Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeee's electric, she's got a family full of excentrics, she's electric, can i be electric too?"

I've heard of Oasis. For the record.

<3<3<3 AOA
(posting under Gala's name cos I'm too lazy to sign into my own account)
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:45 pm
Firestarter says...

Ahh, thank you, I was feeling lonely then.

"Because maybeeeeeeeeee, you're gonna be the one that saves meeeeeeeee, and after all, you're my wonderwaaaalll".

Reviews: 0
Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:51 pm
Guest says...

I've never heard of any of those bands (Except Green day) either!
Anyone heard of U2? Five for Fighting, GC, Linkin Park, The Police...ok i'll stop :D

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:49 am
Tara says...

Heard of all of 'em. Linkin Park r good. But NO ONE RULES OUT PINKFLOYD!
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." -Al Capone

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:08 am
niteowl says...

Sheesh, Delo even I've heard of those bands! And I don't know much about bands or music.

Actually, I've never heard of GC, unless this is an acronym for a band I do know.

I never heard of any of those bands either, Firestarter. But I am a musical hermit, so please do not be offended.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:50 am
Elelel says...

dyingmoon wrote:hey this thread didn't tell me how to start a fire...
you know, i've always wanted to live in England, i don't like the heat of Australia. You're in your first year of college? aren't you a bit young? My brothers love soccer and are annoyed with australian tv as they play a lack of it on our telly :P I have about the same tastes in music. Anyway what's wrong with manchester? can't be that fezzy(not nice)

*Sticks out bottom lip* Australia's not THAT bad.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:20 pm
Firestarter says...

You all probably haven't heard of the bands because they are all British...
Except Green Day, of course.

I didn't even mention Kaiser Chiefs.

Congratulations!
— Magestorrrow