z

Young Writers Society

Hello Comrads

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:52 pm
Calebdial says...

I am currently a noob at writing, but I have an awesome essay/short story that i wrote if you all want to read it .My name is caleb dial and i love to write stories about wars and serial killers, this is my official shalom

ps: heres my short story:
topic44531.html

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:59 pm
Mars says...

Hey Caleb!

Just to let you know, one of the rules here is to review two works for every one of your own you post - the 2:1 reviews-to-works ratio. So, since you've posted a short story, spread the love and review someone else's, kay? It spreads the love and makes sure everyone gets their stuff looked at.

So! Wars and serial killers, eh? I've never been able to write about that kind of thing, but I do like reading it, so I'll be checking some of your stuff out. Do you ever try poetry? Who are your favorite authors and books?

Oh, also, it's a good idea to read the rest of the Rules, just so you know what's going on. Anyway, welcome to the site, and don't be afraid to give me a holler if you ever need help!

-Mars
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

Random avatar

Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:05 pm
Calebdial says...

Thanks. I have tried to write poetry,but for a magic trick. you see, ive been doing magic since i was 5. I am now 15. So ten years is a long time. But Google search alvo stockman poetry reading. That is the reason i have tried poetry. I dont really read fiction books.But if I have a favourite authour it would be Robert Greene. He wrote "The 48 laws of Power".
I plan on being a Criminal Psycologist. They interview murderers and study them and their behavior trying to get to understand the deranged mind more.

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:20 pm
Bittersweet says...

Hello Caleb! I'm Bittersweet, though I prefer being called by my real name; Holly. But you could call me Bitters, or the most popular: BS. ;)

You sound like you have some totally interesting plans for your life! Criminal Psychologist? Dude, that is so awesome. And magic for ten years? Wow. I'm glad that magic got you into writing poetry! That Alvo Stockman thing sounds really interesting. Does it work for you? And how do you feel about your poetry?

Mars already covered the 2:1 thing, but I've got some tips here. You should probably stick to black text versus other colors. While crazy colors are awesome, they can hurt people's eyes. So stay away from colors, all right? Also, I don't think you have a problem with this, chat speak is not really favored around here. Because 'i leik 2 typ leik dis' is kind of hard to read, no? :P

We've got some totally awesome things you can do around here. You can make a blog and talk about whatever you want, and others can read it! We also have some games, like suduko and such. It can get a little confusing at first, we all know. So send me a message (a PM) if you ever need help finding anything, because it helps a lot.

Have fun exploring the site!
-Holly
eviscerate your fragile frame
spill it out in ragged form
a thousand different versions of yourself.

239 Reviews

Reviews: 239
Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:29 pm
MeadowLark says...

Heya! Welcome to YWS!

Another 'rule' is to rate your works. We love rated works on here. And when you rate (and it isn't rate R) your piece will appear on the Index for all to see. Pretty cool eh?

And the last one is: Make friends! We're all really friendly on here.

So, since all that is out of the way, what's your favourite book and author?

Happy Writing!

Meadow
Purple light in the canyon
that is where I long to be
With my three good companions
just my rifle, pony and me

--- "My Rifle My Pony and Me"

Random avatar

Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:39 pm
Calebdial says...

i read the rules and it said things with violence should be rated r but what should it be rated?

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:54 pm
BigBadBear says...

Calebdial-

Hi, there! I'm Jared, BBB, 3B, or any combination of that! I hope you're having a great time on YWS already!

Calebdial wrote:i read the rules and it said things with violence should be rated r but what should it be rated?

Only extreme violence/graphic violence should be rated R. For the most part, a Pg-13 would be fine. Also! be sure to rate everything you post on this site. If you don't rate it, it won't show up on the front page, and your work won't be displayed for all the members to see, and you won't get very many critiques. So, if you choose to rate it R, it won't show up on the front page, just for the safety of all the younger members.

With that said, hi! How are you doing? As the other people have mentioned, be sure to spread the love and review, review, review! If you expect to get reviews, you must review other people! Then they will want to look through your work and choose something to read.

I hope you will continue to read and review! I look forward to becoming friends with you!

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

Random avatar

Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:00 pm
Calebdial says...

wait,can you explain the rating thing sum more?

143 Reviews

Reviews: 143
Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:07 pm
anti-pop says...

Hi Calebdial!

Jared is absolutely right!
Rating works is very important; not only to help show off your work, but to keep younger members safe. :) Everyone wins!
So if your story includes extremely graphic violence, or it uses the f-word, it should be rated R. If not, PG-13 is just fine! ;)

You'll find that YWS is a great place to improve your writing! Everyone is incredibly helpful and supportive. Whether through reviews or greets (such as this one!), all of us here at YWS want you to feel comfortable and have a great time around the site!

Since no one else has mentioned this, I guess I'll give my two cents. :D
So you see how some members have different coloured names? This is a simple system created to show different ranks within the community.

~Black names are our normal users, whose job is just to read, review, post, and have fun! No pressure on you guys!
~Blue names indicate our Greeters. These are the lovely people who normally would be posting in this thread to welcome you. If you ever have any questions, or just want to chat, you can talk to these users! They are incredibly friendly and overall nice.
~Purple names (like me!) are Instructors. It's our job to help you fix, clean up, and improve your writing skills! We offer tips, guides, and suggestions that will help your work become the best it can be!
~Light Green names are Junior Mods. These awesome members are moderators for specific forums, like Fantasy, Poetry, etc.. These are the users to go to if you have any questions about posting your work!
~Dark Green names are Moderators. Don't mess with these guys! XD
Their job is to help make sure the site runs smoothly. They work really hard for all of us here!
~Red names are Administrators! The most awesome people on the planet. They rule YWS! :D

Hope this helps you a little bit!
Happy writing, and welcome to YWS!

~anti-pop
...Bitter cold, it grows
changing holds
cynicism the new norm...

-Libretto

143 Reviews

Reviews: 143
Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:08 pm
anti-pop says...

Hi Calebdial!

Jared is absolutely right!
Rating works is very important; not only to help show off your work, but to keep younger members safe. :) Everyone wins!
So if your story includes extremely graphic violence, or it uses the f-word, it should be rated R. If not, PG-13 is just fine! ;)

You'll find that YWS is a great place to improve your writing! Everyone is incredibly helpful and supportive. Whether through reviews or greets (such as this one!), all of us here at YWS want you to feel comfortable and have a great time around the site!

Since no one else has mentioned this, I guess I'll give my two cents. :D
So you see how some members have different coloured names? This is a simple system created to show different ranks within the community.

~Black names are our normal users, whose job is just to read, review, post, and have fun! No pressure on you guys!
~Blue names indicate our Greeters. These are the lovely people who normally would be posting in this thread to welcome you. If you ever have any questions, or just want to chat, you can talk to these users! They are incredibly friendly and overall nice.
~Purple names (like me!) are Instructors. It's our job to help you fix, clean up, and improve your writing skills! We offer tips, guides, and suggestions that will help your work become the best it can be!
~Light Green names are Junior Mods. These awesome members are moderators for specific forums, like Fantasy, Poetry, etc.. These are the users to go to if you have any questions about posting your work!
~Dark Green names are Moderators. Don't mess with these guys! XD
Their job is to help make sure the site runs smoothly. They work really hard for all of us here!
~Red names are Administrators! The most awesome people on the planet. They rule YWS! :D

Hope this helps you a little bit!
Happy writing, and welcome to YWS!

~anti-pop
...Bitter cold, it grows
changing holds
cynicism the new norm...

-Libretto

713 Reviews

Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:10 pm
BigBadBear says...

Calebdial wrote:wait,can you explain the rating thing sum more?

Sure!

G = Suitable for all ages. It does not contain swear words, graphic scenes. You would let a five year old child read this.

PG = Some swearing is acceptable, but keep it brief and not strong at all. You would allow a 10 year old child read this. So, a little bit of violence would be acceptable, but don't overdue it.

PG-13 = You would let a 13+ read this. It can contain more swear words (excluding the f word, which, if that is included, MUST be rated R). There can be large amounts of violence, but no sex scenes. Again, just be cautious.

R = Sex scenes, the f word, graphic blood and violence. The whole shebang.

Also, if you don't know whether to rate it PG-13 or R, choose R, just to be safe. We would rather everyone play it safe than to have graphic scenes in a lower rating.

Any more questions?

-Jared

Would love help on this.

Random avatar

Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:15 pm
Calebdial says...

Sheban?lol
Have you read my essay Jared?

713 Reviews

Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:32 pm
BigBadBear says...

Calebdial wrote:Sheban?lol
Have you read my essay Jared?

As soon as you replied to this thread, I was downloading it! So, I just finished it, and I'll be writing up a critique in a moment. It was really good!

-Jared

Would love help on this.

Random avatar

Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:39 pm
Calebdial says...

i am currently writing part II and III.and thankyou

There is a difference between being poor and being broke: broke is temporary; poor is eternal.
— Robert Kiyosaki