z

Young Writers Society

Got Intellect?

Reviews: 1
Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:48 pm
Phyx says...

Well, do you?

Name's Phyx, but anyone with decent calibre (which I do hope you maintain) would have already taken that into account. Perhaps with the correct amount of realisation, then the obvious would have remained bold with archaic structure and your own intelligence. But, I digress...

I suppose a favourite book of mine was The Man in the High Castle, even if an improbably subject matter that cannot be necessarily predicted through the late intentions of the Second World War, but an educated guess remarks and so forth did help complete the author's compelling subject matter. Subject choice of a book would be anything, absolutely anything, excluding Twilight or vampires. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but ever since the release of Bram Stoker's Dracula I really do feel that the lack of good fiction has become greater. It offers a fantasy yes, but, it really does not preview good literature.

I suppose my poetic muse really did pull me here, as well as to the other sites of 'The Big Three'. But, I'm here to give, and receive feedback, just as any other would. As long as it isn't a pathetic one liner upon how my piece is absolutely awesome and doesn't need improving. For example:

OMG!!! UR STORIE RULED!!!111!1! RITE MOAR!!!!

Even though it's blunt, I've seen it done oh so many times. Just as long as get good reviews, whether my work is proclaimed crap or not, I'm happy.

Please be aware that my pieces are not linear, narrative, or directly clear. Even my novel, Adii Vie, is vague enough to create an aura of 'Dreamy Prose' so to speak. So, my work often consists of 'impurities' that often double-back on their own ideas, therefore creating a presence that does not necessarily appear as first thought.

Happy goings.
Procrastination is the death of time.

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:58 pm
Musicaloo7311 says...

Hello, Phyx!

I'm Music. Let me tell you, I'm very glad that you have not used chat-speak! No chat-speak is one of the basic rules here at YWS.

Also, I'd like to tell you that we have a ratio here. Before you post 1 piece of your work, the powers that be at YWS would like you to review 2 pieces. Many refer to it as the 2:1 ratio.

That's all I have to say for now. I'm sure the others will fill you in on a couple more rules.

I'd love to see your work sometime! What type of novel are you writing?

See you around!
Click-ity click! Reviews here. :)
The Completely Evil Plan.

"You treat me badly; I love you madly."
Formerly known as music_lover_7311.

174 Reviews

Reviews: 174
Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:13 pm
View Likes
lucyy says...

Heyy there, Phyx - I am happily the first to greet you to this awesome site. So, first thing's first: :smt006 hello there and welcome :D

Wow, you like to read anything then, eh? Just like me: as long as it's a good novel and not boring, I'm there!!

So, you're looking for constructive feedback, then? Well, that's what people like me (the awesome ones in Purple :wink: ) are all about - if you're in need for a long detailed review, no details spared, then come to us!! We shall help you out as best we can!! :D And what about the other colourful people on this site, you might ask?
Well, Blue people are Greeters - they greet newbies (like yourself) and help them out - so if you have any questions they're they people to go to!! But I'm sure I could help you out too :wink: . The rest of the colours:
Light green: Junior moderators, who help out the main moderators (dark Green) in the smooth running of this great site.
Red - Administrators (Nate), the founder of the site, and his assistant: Jr Administrator
Orange - Distinguished members/ retired moderators

Also, a quick review of the rules: there's a 2:1 ratio regarding posting and reviewing. You need to post two reviews (roughly about 250 characters/6 lines for it to count) for every post of your work, that way the reviews are spread around equally.

So, done with the boring stuff, please tell us more about yourself: do you have any pets? What is your favourite colour/film, and what kind of genre do you write...?

I hope you have a great time and feel very welcome on this site, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to PM me!! (:

Good luck with your writing!!
--Lucyy xx

Edit: I am the second person to greet you; I do get carried away... =P
"Don't think, or judge. Just Listen."

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:19 pm
Meep(: says...

Hey there Phyx!
You won't have to worry about those kind of reviews.
Firstly, chatspeak and CAPS lock are frowned upon in YWS.
We encourage good English.
And that wouldn't be counted as a review anyway.
Plus, we have forums here, where you can request for a proper critique.
Just ask nicely and bribe them with cookies. Double chocolate chip preferably.

~You seem like a person who dotes on intelligence. Good for you.
Did you know that 'intelligent' and 'intellectual' mean two different things? :D

Hope you have a nice (who are we kidding? I mean and awesome time) time here!
Feel free to PM me if you've got any smart questions that you'd like to unload on me.
That's my job. Cyan coloured usernames are the Greeters, who make you newbies feel right a home.
Free cookies are included in the package, of course.
I'm sorry to say that I can only correct grammar, spelling, punctuation and the basics of poetry only.
So I won't be of much help to you.
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:42 pm
Demeter says...

Well, hello there, Phyx!

Wow, you do seem like an excellent addition to this excellent site! Especially because it's great to have you here, and also because you don't have to be taught to despise "OMG!!! UR STORIE RULED!!!111!1! RITE MOAR!!!!" kind of reviews and style of writing.

You see the Help & Support tab up there in the right hand corner? Click it; it'll do you good. :) The thing is, there's some amazingly helpful stuff around there, and it'll help you to explore the site and get the best out of it. Not to mention you'll find some important rules there.

Subject choice of a book would be anything, absolutely anything, excluding Twilight or vampires.

*taps Phyx's head* That's the spirit.

Well, I hope you enjoy your time here, and just PM me if you have questions, need help, or just want to talk. I'm here. :)

See you around!

Demeter
xxx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:02 pm
Evi says...

Well, I see that a good number of people have already gotten their hands on you to welcome you, eh?

Grammar is good. I see that you've noticed that. :wink: And constructive criticism? Wow, you've come to the right place! See my lovely purple name? That means you can ask me for critiques and count that they'll be thought-out and of good quality; I'm and Instructor. As others have explained, the blue people are Greeters-- however...

You've come during kind of a crazy time, eh? We're in the middle of a Purps -vs- Blues war at the moment, which means Instructors and Greeters switch places. Normally those friendly blue people would be welcoming you, but not this week! :wink:

Love the avatar, 8) It's awesome. And bring on the intellect; YWS loves using our minds. What kind of things do you write?

See you around!

~Evi
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:17 pm
Mars says...

Pixie sticks. Fix. Phyx. Phyx. I think I've got it, but we'll see if my rhyme can help me remember.

Just kidding. I totally maintain a decent amount of calibre. I swear.

Anyway. The rules have already been explained and everything, so that's quite good. I won't lie - you probably will get at least one OMG RITE MOAR review, as you would anywhere else, but you'll also get some very good critiques. And you can always drop by the Will Review For Food threads and request one, and we'll all be happy to help out.

Please be aware that my pieces are not linear, narrative, or directly clear.

Excellent. I'm currently having a love affair with literary fiction, and I'll look forward to seeing some of your work.

Do you ever write poetry, just out of curiosity?

Welcome to YWS, Phyx. PM me if you need anything!
-Mars
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:05 pm
Bittersweet says...

Hey, Phyx! I'm Bittersweet, though being called by my birth name. So I'd prefer Holly versus Bittersweet. But if that doesn't strike your fancy, you can call me Bitters or BS. And I am well aware what BS means. :P

I totally sympathize with you on the "RITE MOAR!" thing. But I would like to congratulate you on figuring out how to use the quote box. Sadly, many people are unobservant and don't understand it. Anyway, everyone above beat me to all the rules. So I shan't repeat them, in fear that I'd make your ears bleed. Mwhaha. Lucky for you, many people, such as I, despise Twilight as well. You've come to the right place, my friend. Quite the right place.

Unless you're incredibly computer smart, YWS can be a little confusing at first. I was there once. :P So if you ever need any help on anything, make sure you message me. I pride myself in being good at explaining things.

Have fun, and write some poetry!
-Holly
eviscerate your fragile frame
spill it out in ragged form
a thousand different versions of yourself.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:25 pm
Clo says...

Hey Phyx--

Er, yeah, we don't do that chatspeak thing here. It is extremely discouraged, almost never seen, and taken out of existence when it is seen, so feel free to don a positive attitude about this community like we all have. We're a very considerate, thoughtful and analytical bunch and you receive reviews of varying qualities and comments, so I'm going to boldly go out on a limb and say this is the best writing site that exists on the web.

Our members are that awesome.

Anyway, my purple name means I'm an Instructor -- a position which is applied for and brings responsibilities with it, and one of those is the duty to help you with writing, content, and basic guidance. If you ever need a review for a story, feel free to shoot me a PM (Private Message) and I can help you out.

We have usergroups on this site where you can take part in forums that focus on various special interests that you may have and a blog section where you can have a private or public blog that other members can comment on. Really, there are number of ways to meet people on this website and get to know other writers.

Hope to see you around the site!

~ Clo
How am I not myself?

I feel like if I was the mafia I’d leave a voicemail.
— Tuckster