z

Young Writers Society

Hello there!

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:32 pm
S.S. Rose says...

Hello fellow scribblers! My "name" is S.S. Rose. I'm a wannabe poet and writer of prose, but my greatest struggle as of yet is writing with life. Writing in such a way that people can feel and relate to my joy and my pain. I'm young and proud, so break my hubris, if you please! Teach me what you know, and don't be afraid to be brutally honest. Thanks!
"Hand in hand, the letters cross the room, whirl around the bed, sweep past the window, wriggle across the wall, swoop to the door, and return to begin again."

~Jean-Dominique Bauby

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:39 pm
Mars says...

Hiyas! Let's see if I can finish this post before the Greeters swarm in, shall we? First of all, a big and hearty
WELCOME TO YWS!!!!!

So! Rules. They're located here, and it's a good idea to check them out if you haven't already. If you don't, the two major biggies are:
:arrow: The 2:1 ratio. Have reviewed two other works for every work of your own that you post. This keeps the site running and spreads some love, which is always a good thing. I see you already have eight under your belt, so well done, you!
:arrow: No chatspeak. Again, you don't seem to have a problem with this. Basically, things like LOL are okay, but no replacing you with u or to with 2 or whatever. I mean, we are writers, right? (Yeah, I'm kind of breaking this rule with my excessive capitals and exclamation points above, but I figure you deserve it.)

Anyway. A wannabe poet, eh? What kind of poetry do you like to write? I think we're in switched positions, because I'm a wannabe prose-writer poet. I'll be happy to review some of your stuff, if you like. (As will 99.99999 per cent of the members on this site!)

Favorite genre? Author? Book? Color?

See ya around, Rose (can I call you that?)! Again, welcome to the site. Hope you love it as much as I do.

-Mars
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:45 pm
Winter's Twelfth Night says...

Hello Rose! Welcome to YWS! I am Winter.

You don't mind if I call you Rose, do you? It's easier.

Well, there is one quick rule that Mars forgot to mention. Please rate your work. If it contains the f-word or obscene or graphic scenes please rate the work R. If your work is not rated R it will show up on the front page! Who knows, it might get you more reviews!

Anyway, I'll let some one else explain the colours to you. If you have any questions or want a review please PM me!
-Winter
Mamillius: Merry or sad shall’t be?
Hermione: As merry as you will.
Mamillius: A sad tale’s best for winter. I have one
Of sprites and goblins.

The Winter's Tale

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:20 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

Hmm, another Rose. This shall be interesting. I go by Rosey, or Rose, or Unicorn. Whichever.

Mars touched a bit on this, but you'll notice that some of us have different coloured names. They are:

Blue- Greeters. We give you the low-down on the rules and answer any questions you might have about navigating this great site.
Purple- Instructors. (Usually) They go through any work you have posted with a fine-toothed comb and tear it apart, all in the name of making you a better writer.
Light green- Jr. mods. They help the mods out by going through some boards exclusivly.
Green- Mods. Help keep things safe and sound on YWS.
Red- Admins. They keep the site up and running. Nate is our ever-beloved founder, and Meshugenah is his assistant.
Orange- Distinguished members. Basically, retired mods.

Well, that's a run-down of the colours. If you have any questions, PM me.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

268 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 268
Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:27 pm
Adnamarine says...

Hi Rose!

9 reviews already, 'tis awesome. :D So you seem to be finding your way through the literary forums with ease (if I'm wrong, please correct me, and I'd love to be of assistance :P).

So you like poetry, hmm? You should join the usergroup Poetry Inspiration!
We have probably a bajillion usergroups about most things under the sun :P (really; it's a looong list), and you can look through the whole list of them by clicking the 'Groups' tab at the top of the page. You're sure to find something there you're interested in, out of all of them. But like I said, Poetry Inspiration. *nods* It's pretty new; still looking for more members.

So to give you a mini tour of some other places, check out *drum roll* the Writer's Corner! Here you can plot, and rant about misbehaving words, ask for storyline advice, what you should name your character, whether it's realistic to have a talking monkey that lives in the ocean, anything. And answer other people's questions. (you'll find all thses, this one and the next places I'll tell you about, under the 'Community' tab)
We also have a cool little forum called Word Play. The name's pretty self-explanatory; you should check that out, it's really fun.
We have a Writing Tips forum; again the name is pretty self-explanatory. If you have some good advice, don't be shy; plug it right in there! (there's also a Poetry Dicussion and Tips forum, in the literary section, by the poetry forums)
The Information Desk is a good place to look up every once in a while. Nate, our fabulous, hard-working, brilliant, ever-so generous admin Nate keeps us updated on the goings on here, any new little updates (or big updates for that matter) and things like that.

So there's a few places to check out. I by no means covered them all, but I'm sure you will in no time.

If you're confused about anything, have questions, just want to talk, want a review, let me know!

And welcome to YWS. :)

-Adna
"Half the time the poem writes me." ~Meshugenah

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:32 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

*beep*

Hi, Rose! Welcome to YWS!

Please remember to post 2 rev-

*crash*

Sorry about that. You already followed that rule. That automated message is annoying.

Anyway...

Ah, so a well rounded writer? Very nice. What genres of prose do you write?

Let me know when you post something, and I'll be glad to review it.

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:48 pm
Angels-Symphony says...

S.S. Rose wrote:Hello fellow scribblers! My "name" is S.S. Rose. I'm a wannabe poet and writer of prose, but my greatest struggle as of yet is writing with life. Writing in such a way that people can feel and relate to my joy and my pain. I'm young and proud, so break my hubris, if you please! Teach me what you know, and don't be afraid to be brutally honest. Thanks!

Hey Rose ^^ I'm Shina! Welcome to YWS! Getting addicted to this site is simple once you find your way around here. I recommend you find a buddy and msn them or PM them so you can learn the ropes faster. Also, don't be afraid of requesting to be friends with people. They're usually pretty nice and will accept with good reason.

My advice to you would be...

1. Don't take all reviews to heart. YWS people love to shred things apart, especially the instructors, greeters, and mods. Only take the advice if you feel it's right. If it's wrong, then don't be offended. We all have a right to our opinions.

2. Take advantage of YWS. There's thousands of young writers here that you can use to benefit your writing. We all have a lot to offer, so take advantage of that. Use our tips, our knowledge, and improve your writing and your way of thinking. Be open minded!

xD I'm an "Attempted" poet. I don't consider poetry my major, but hey. I'll try! So you keep writing, Rose!

~Shina
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:56 pm
fire_of_dawn says...

*sidles in, favoring left foot*

Hi there. I'm Kite; just Kite. Feel free to call me "Fire," "Dawn," or whatever appellation

I mostly write sci-fi and fantasy, but I'm a 'bit of everything' type.

So yes, there you go.
"Do? I'll tell you what we'll do! We'll be ready!"
Matthias, from Redwall

"Life consists of doing the impossible."
Brother Fir, The Heir of Mistmantle

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:18 am
WaterVyper says...

Hiyas Rose! Everything's said and done, so there isn't much else to say. I've tried poetry before, but it didn't work out so well. And I mostly do well with Other Fiction. I just find it hard to categorize my writing, but I'm an all-around. Except for romance. I'm dreadful with romance.

Well, fell free to PM me for anything you need. See ya around sometime!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

Revision is one of the exquisite pleasures of writing.
— Bernard Malamud