z

Young Writers Society

Hello!

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:05 am
PirateP says...

Hi everyone!

I'm new here, obviously, and just wanted to say I'm very glad I found this website! I've always loved reading and writing, and have been doing so for as long as I can remember.

There seems to be so much to do here that I'm not really sure where to start. Does anyone have any tips on where to start? What's a good thing to do first? Is there a good genre of writing to review before anything else?

Thanks.

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:12 am
Meep(: says...

PirateP wrote:I'm new here, obviously, and just wanted to say I'm very glad I found this website!

We're happy to have you here too, PirateP!
Welcome to our silly YWS family! (We used to be a mental asylum, but I probably shouldn't have told you that)

There seems to be so much to do here that I'm not really sure where to start. Does anyone have any tips on where to start? What's a good thing to do first? Is there a good genre of writing to review before anything else?

Firstly, I must infrom you of the rules,
1) Minimise chatspeak and CAPS lock please.
2) For every piece of work you post, you should review two pieces of work done by others. We dub this the 2:1 ratio rule. It helps keep the balance in the forum.

The rest of the rules can be found at rules.php
Its good to familiarise yourself with them.
You could check out the literature section and read some works first,
Or start putting up your work.
Browsing round the Community section is also interesting.
We have an 'About The Authors' forum where you can talk about yourself. Its an ego-fest just waiting to happen.

~anyhoo, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:44 am
WaterVyper says...

Hiyas and great to see you around YWS! We seem to be getting a lot more male members now. Anywho, hi! Oh wait, I already said that. Well, it was hiyas which isn't exactly hi but means the same thing so technically, I said it twice but hiyas isn't exactly the same as hi. I'll stop confusing myself now. Anyway, to answer your questions:

1. I'd look around the Literature section first, to familiarize yourself with what goes in the appropriate forums.

2. A good thing to do first is to review. By reviewing, you can help another person, as well as analyze their writing style. If you do this, you can touch up your own writing. Or, you can go to the About the Authors, as Meep stated.

3. It depends on what you enjoy to write. If you like poetry, then I think it's good to review poetry first. If you like prose, you can go ahead and choose a genre you like to write. It'll be helpful.

Well, that's all I can think of for your questions, since I'm feeling a bit scatterbrained right about now. Well, feel free to PM me with anything you need. I'll be available. See ya around sometime!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:55 am
Musicaloo7311 says...

Hi! I'm also pretty new here, PirateP, so I understand what you mean about navigating the site and all.
The Greeters have already shared their rules and tips, so I won't go into any of that (I wouldn't have anyway. Haha).

I was just going to say that what helps me navigate the site is clicking the "View posts since last visit" button. If you go to the home page when you're logged in, look to the right and below your avatar; you should find it there.

One (or maybe two... I'm not promising anything :wink:) more suggestion(s).

1.) Review, review, review. We're all writers here and LOVE to have our work reviewed. And it gets you points! (Ask a Greeter/Instructor or check out the "Help" page if you don't quite understand that system)
So, anyway, put some time into reading other people's submissions and critiquing them.

2.) Play the word games and such that you find on here. They're fun to do. But keep in mind, like others before me have said, check out the literature sight first. That's the main reason we're here, after all. :)

Well, I'm going to be quiet now. I really hope I didn't confuse you. If so, feel free to PM me an angry message. Haha.
Bye!
Click-ity click! Reviews here. :)
The Completely Evil Plan.

"You treat me badly; I love you madly."
Formerly known as music_lover_7311.

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:11 pm
Winter's Twelfth Night says...

Welcome to YWS PirateP! I am Winter.

Well it seems that the rules have been explained and the questions answered. So I shall do the honours of explaining the colours!

-Light Blue: Greeters. We have light blue usernames and are responsible for greeting all the new members of the site! We make them feel welcome and answer their questions.
-Purple: Instructors. Their job is to give in-depth reviews.
-Light green: Junior Mods. They help the mods enforce all the rules and make sure everyone is behaving in the forums!
-Green: Mods
-Red: Site administrator
-Orange: Distinguished members

If you have any questions feel free to PM me!
-Winter
Mamillius: Merry or sad shall’t be?
Hermione: As merry as you will.
Mamillius: A sad tale’s best for winter. I have one
Of sprites and goblins.

The Winter's Tale

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:28 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

Well, one thing that hasn't been said is the advantage to rating your work. Rated works (unless rated R) show up on the front page of YWS. Since some people pick what the review based on that, you might get more comments. ;) Rated R works have the f-word and/or graphic scenes.

In my opinion the best thing to do when you start is to just post. Post everywhere.

A second thing to do is read the reviews before you post any of your own. It makes it easier to figure out how to review.

If you have any questions, PM me.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

I could literally be Obama and you guys would never know.
— AilahEvelynMae