z

Young Writers Society

I'm bad at subject lines so....CHEESE

Reviews: 1
Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:30 pm
DLDzioba says...

Hi, my name is DLDzioba and I'm an alcoholic! Not really, but that's what introducing myself always feels like so let me start over.

Hi, my pen name is D L Dzioba, and I'm a young aspiring author.
I'm just rapping up the planning stage on my latest attempt for a novel and I'll begin writing shortly, as soon as I put in some finishing touches on my world building. The current project is a YA soft-fantasy. No magic, just an interesting gate to another world and maybe a fantastic creature or two. I like it most for the implied juxtaposition of my protagonist and antagonist. Filling out character questionnaires has never been so fun.

I'm babbling.

It's nice to be here and blame NaNoWriMo Chatroom patrons for my joining.

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:35 pm
RGallagher says...

Woo! Another #nanoer on YWS! Welcome! Hope you enjoy it here, and don't eat any cookies from PenguinAttack ;) <3
RG Prompts! New prompts posted daily!
http://rgprompts.blogspot.com/

Need a critique? Post here!
topic42126.html

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:15 pm
*DaughteroftheMoon* says...

Hey there!
So let me get you some basic rules: No chatspeak, or frequent abbriviations. Try to keep you grammar good in your posts. Also keep a 2:1 ratio to your posts. Two reviews for every post you make. SO thats out of the way.
Nana eh? I didn't get into it this past year, but plan on doing it this year. Well, if you need any help with anything of need reviews, just PM me. I'll be happy to help.
~Alyss
Amor Vincit Omnia

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:02 pm
Mars says...

QUESO*! WELCOME.

So! Daughter mentioned the most important rules already-you can find the rest here.

Anywhoodles, you might be noticing that some users have different colored names? Blue = Greeters, who help you find your way around; Purple = Instructors, who offer a million majillion critiques and try and help you improve your writing; Green = Mods (Light green = junior mods) who are too brilliant for explanations; Red = admins, who run the site (Nate and Mesh); and Orange = distinguished members, who have retired from the mod squad.

Plus, see that link at the top that says groups? Yeah. There you can find usergroups for just about anything, or you can start your own. There's definitely a fantasy group, and I think a worldbuilding group as well, so you should definitely check those out.

And, we have two sets of forums. 1) Community forums, where we chat about trivial and not so trivial matters and 2) Literature forums, where we submit and review other members' works.

Whew! That was more explaining than you probably needed, but you never know, right? So, I like the idea of a fantasy world without magic, since that's not seen as often, at least, I don't think so. Sometimes magic is way too overdone. But yeah, I'll be interesting in reading some if you ever post it (you will, won't you?) although fantasy's not really my thing. ;-)

Do you read fantasy as well? Who are your favorite authors? I think my favorite fantasy author would have to be Susan Cooper. And Gregory Maguire, of course. And also Lewis Carrol! I can't believe I almost forgot about that dude. Hey look! I'm babbling too!

Welcome to YWS! If you need anything, feel free to PM me!
-Mars

*cheese in Spanish. Duh.
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

197 Reviews

Reviews: 197
Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:22 pm
olivia1987uk says...

I miss NaNoWriMo....lol...the year goes so slowly until it gets here!
Olivia
xxx
If you wake up in the morning and all you can think of is writing, then you're a writer...

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:07 pm
MySunshine says...

Hey, DLDzioba :D

Welcome to YWS! Hope you'll enjoy it here ;)
MySunshine
♥And if you go, I wanna go with you. And if you die, I wanna die with you♥

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:48 pm
daydreamer9 says...

Hey DL! (is it alright if I call you that? let me know.)

Even though so many people have already welcomed you, I thought I should as well. So, welcome again to YWS! I'm sure that soon you'll feel right at home here. It's such a nurturing environment that there is almost automatically a homey feeling associated with it. That's how I feel at least.

The others have stressed the main rules, but there is one rule that it most important to me. My rule : help others as much as you can. As you will soon see, the members of YWS are very helpful people. The moment you post a piece of your own, I promise that within a few hours a kind and constructive review will be with it. That's just how people are here. :]

Anywho, I'd like to know more about this "light-fantasy" as you call it. What stories are you working on? What other genres do you like?

If you have any questions, PM me. I'm always willing to help a fellow writer in need!

-dd9
live like there's no tomorrow, dream like you'll live forever.

be the change you wish to see in the world
-gandi

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:34 pm
Night Mistress says...

Hey,

welcome to YWs.

Many of us are fantasy writers. I am one. Rosey Unicorn is another (she will be along shortly), If you need to know anything fantastic, you just ask her.

There are some usergroups that are fantastic. Check them out up at the top, on the group button.

Pm me if you need anything. See ya around
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:09 pm
Rosendorn says...

It seems I have been summoned!

Hiya! I would be Rosey Unicorn, but often I go by Rosey.

Yes, yes, yes, I will help you with anything Fantasy you might have. It's been my genre of choice the past five years or so. ^_^ Just send me a PM or post in Writing Tips. I will answer you if I can.

So, back to my job as a blue!

There is one little reminder that I'll add onto the list of rules/helpful tips: Please rate your works. If you do (and it's not rated R) then it will show up on the front page on YWS! That means more people will see it, and you just might get more comments out of it. :wink:

Rated R works have the f-word and/or graphic scenes. In fact, if your work has the f-word in it, you must rate it R.

If you have any questions (fantasy or navigation) then send me a PM.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:51 pm
DLDzioba says...

*Feels incredibly welcomed*

Understand all the rules and such. *Smiles*

A little more about me:
I'm 21.
I've been writing since I was 13.
I've not finished a novel yet. Still working on that.
I know more about publishing than the average bear because I've done several research projects on it back when I was in school and I talk to two published authors on a semi-regular basis. (Toni L P Kelner, John Green).
I write YA. I like to stick to the more speculative fiction genres of YA. I've got many sci-fi and fantasy ideas, though I've also go more literary stuff (I want to write a novel that is also part cookbook, for the style I imagine it; I want to build a YA from the ground up from a very specific theme on how people define 'home') and some silly stuff too.
I read...Everything. I'm a compulsive book-buyer and as such my personal library is very eclectic. Lately I've been reading classics AND urban fantasy.
My favorite book is The Red Tent by Anita Diamant. Makes me feel good to be a woman.
My favorite author is John Green, he is my writing idol. I also love Lewis Carol, C. S. Lewis, Tolkien, Rowling, Anne Rice, Lovecraft, Doyle....and many more.
I'm an avid nerd and I role play and such nerdy activities.
I love stories set around biblical characters, self image themes, circuses and freak shows, and interesting fantasy settings.
I plan twice as long as anyone else I know.
I've run out of things to say.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:57 pm
Merricat says...

Hello, DL! I'm also new, and also on the older side of things, so it's a pleasure meeting you.
Merricat, said Constance, would you like a cup of tea?

http://www.notadoor.livejournal.com

Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:19 pm
DLDzioba says...

Oh, please call me DLD, it's what I like to go by on my writing sites. That or Nik.
Work In Progress Status: Writing
Please, call me DLD. :D

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:50 pm
WaterVyper says...

Hey DLD! Everyone's explained almost everything, except for the groups! Here on YWS, we have a bunch of usergroups created for people who share specific interests. We have quite a few about fantasy, if I'm not mistaken. You can go ahead and click the big 'Groups' button up there, *points to top of page* and you can see for yourself. You'll find one you like eventually.

So, you talk semi-regularly with published authors? That's really cool. I don't personally know any published authors in real life. Well, I got just a few more questions. What are your interests in music? Hows about movies? That's it for me. So, feel free to PM me for anything that you need, anything at all! See ya around sometime!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:05 am
DLDzioba says...

Movies: I like action flicks and dramas.
Music: Everything except for Rap and R&B

OH! I talk to published authors more often than I think about, the yahoo group I just joined(teenlitauthors) is full of them.
Work In Progress Status: Writing
Please, call me DLD. :D

239 Reviews

Reviews: 239
Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:41 am
MeadowLark says...

Heya DLD, I'm a little slow to greeting you but welcome to YWS. I'm MeadowLark, but feel free to call me Meadow. Be warned, it is a very addicting site lol. But it has wonderful people to help you along the way. Well, I hope to see some of your work and happy writing!

~Meadow~
Purple light in the canyon
that is where I long to be
With my three good companions
just my rifle, pony and me

--- "My Rifle My Pony and Me"

If it looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck…you should not be so quick to jump to conclusions.
— Cecil Gershwin Palmer