z

Young Writers Society

Hello YWS

Random avatar

Reviews: 17
Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:30 am
ZakkuAlpha says...

Hey users of YWS. I'm Zakku Alpha, and I am excited to be apart of all the writers on the forum. I am in every use of the word a General Writer, I write anything from poems to novels to short stories. I hope to be an active user on the forum. :)

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:40 am
Hannah says...

^_^ Oooh, welcome to YWS, Zakku Alpha! ^_^ I'm Hannah! I'm relatively new around here too, but I do have some words of wisdom to share to make your entry into our [s]cult[/s] society easier! ^_^

1. Do not use chatspeak! We're writers, after all, so we should type properly. ^_^ Some abbreviations are fine {like lol or POV}, but yeah... no leet speak either. Hehehe.

2. Remember the 2:1 posting ratio! This means that for every ONE piece of your own work that you post for reviews, you should have reviewed TWO works from other members. ^_^ There are some fancy guides onto how to critique other works over in writing tips, I believe. C:

3. Even if you've saved up a bunch of points {points you gain by posting messages, 50 per message at the MOST}, don't post a million pieces of your work at once. Firstly, that floods the forum and secondly, it might make people think you're only here to show off your work rather than get it critiqued! One or two works a day at the most, please! ^_^

4. Be sure to rate your work. If you rate it anything but R, it will show up on the front page and everyone will be able to see it and review it! -thumbs up- Please rate it R if it has, for example, the F-word or graphic violence, etc. ^_^

Hmmm, hopefully those were helpful. Anyways, what are some of your favorite authors? What is your favorite type of writing to create? ^_^

-Hannah-

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:58 am
*DaughteroftheMoon* says...

Welcome to the Nuthouse *cough cough* I mean YWS!
So tell us about yourself. Who is your favorite author? And your favorite book? How long have you been writing? Sorry I'm just really curious. Well, if you ever need a friend, have any questions, need any help, or want a review, PM (Private Message) me. I'll be happy to help!
~Alyss
Amor Vincit Omnia

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:11 am
View Likes
deleted_5 says...

BUGGER!!! Everyone beats me here. :smt093 Oh well, better late than never. Hi, I'm Lucy. :smt006 I guess you could say that I'm one of the runts here.
Well, it looks like Hannah has told you everything you need to know. And Daughter asked all of the curiosity questions. Good grief, there's nothing left for me to say except Welcome to YWS! PM me if you need any help :smt100, or if you post something.

Lucy Pennykettle
I hate television. I hate it as much as I hate peanuts. But I can't stop eating peanuts. I also hate being on television, I hate it as much as people hate chocolate. But they always want chocolate.

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:41 am
Incognito says...

Oh dear, Lucy, you really should watch your language. You just have to be on your toes and ready to prowl.

Welcome to YWS, ZakkuAlpha.
Don't worry. We don't bite [s]hard[/s]. If you need any help, just ask. We all would be happy to give you a helping hand. YWS is a great site to improve your writing and increase your skills. It is a very [s]horrible[/s] nice place to be.

It is usually here where I would rant about the coloured names. But I will leave that to somebody else because I am incredibly lazy.

ZakkuAlpha, just to warn you before you post a story, is that don't be offended by the reviews we give. We critisize just to help you get better. I am just telling you this because just recently, for a piece I critiqued, I got yelled at and got called mean. Well I was not mean! I worked so long on that review! I didn't actually half to read your story! Ahem... well since that is over, shall we continue.

I am jealous of you already for I am not a general writer. I am only a story writer and a drawer. Not a poet. I am horrible at poetry! If you ever read one of my pieces, it will make you want to cut your ears off and gouge your eyes out.

Well, why don't you tell us a bit more about yourself? I shall get you started with my five traditonal questions!

1) What is your favourite colour?
2) What nickname would you perfer on this site?
3) If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go? [s]Say Canada![/s]
4) What is your favourite food?
5) Have you ever been caught picking your nose in public?

Well, it is nice meeting you and if you need help, just contact me. I am here for you [s]because I am forced too[/s]. And if you enjoy my slightly sarcastic humour or just need a friend, I am here.

Good day to you jolly good chap, and I would [s]hate[/s] hope to see you around.

~Incognito
'Everyone is entitled to be stupid, some just abuse the priviledge.'

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:46 am
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

So, something that has been left unexplained are the coloured names!

Blue- Greeters! It's our job to make sure you get the low-down on the rules and to answer any questions you might have about navigating this wonderful (but huge) site!
Purple- Instructors. It's their job to give you a very thorough critique. In other words, it's their job to tear your work to shreds. Ask them if you want a critique, and if requested they will go easy on you.
Light green and green- Jr. Mods and Mods, respectively. They help the admins run the site by keeping things nice and clean on the boards. If you need a thread locked or are having trouble with something more technical, ask them.
Red- Admins! Nate is the wonderful creator of the site, and Meshugenah is his right-hand girl. They keep YWS up and running for us to use.
Orange- Distinguished members. They are retired mods. Firestarter is a retired admin.

So, that is my little bit of information!

PM me if you have any questions.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:03 am
ASH1397 says...

Well, i guess that other people beat me to the punch... :)

Anyways, welcome to YWS! It can be easy to make and keep friends on here so good luck to you!

You seem like a very intresting person, if i could ask you a few questions
What is your favorite genre?

Do you like to read?

If you like to read, who is your favorite author?...

Sorry, i get anxious to meet others, so like, PM me any time, I think you are nice... you sound so...

Um, best of luck on making your lew friends here, so just try to express yourself as well as possible.

Hopefully you can learn a lesson from being on here and I hope that you get a chance to learn more about writing and fid your best skills here,

:) :) :) :) welcome to the start of your jourey!!

[nodds head] 8) 8) 8)
And just when the caterpillar thought her life was over, she turned into a beautiful butterfly.

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:23 am
ballerina13 says...

Hello and welcome. I see that everyone else has informed you of our rules.

So, what genre do you write in? Who are your favorite authors? I am still new here too. but do not fret, everyone is very nice and willing to help. PM me anytime if you need help. Again, welcome!

~Ballerina13

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:18 am
daydreamer9 says...

Hello! Even though you've recieved so many welcomes, I have some more.

Welcome, welcome, welcome to YWS. :]

As some have already pointed out, this is, in fact a nuthouse. Well, not really. The writers of YWS are only nutty because they are unusually talented and kind. It's amazing how much time we all spend on helping one another. It makes me smile.

Any who, there is one rule that I find most important. It's quite life-changing as well. Are you ready for it? drumroll. . . . Have fun! Here at YWS, it's nearly impossible not to. With so much to do and some many fabulous things to read, fun comes with the territory.

PM me with any questions or in the pursuit of advice or friendship! I'm always willing to help a fellow general writer.

-dd9
live like there's no tomorrow, dream like you'll live forever.

be the change you wish to see in the world
-gandi

122 Reviews

Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:34 am
WaterVyper says...

Hey Zakku! I'm Vyper, or whatever you wish to call me. Everyone's got almost everything down, but there's one thing that I just love to mention. Groups!

Here on YWS, we have usergroups, found under the Groups button up there. *points to top of page* There, you'll find usergroups for just about every interest you can think of. We have one for novelists, another for teens, and tons more that I can't remember. It'll make joining YWS so much more fun since there are lots of people who share your interests there. You'll find one you like eventually. And if all else fails, you can make your own!

Well, that's my two cents. So, if there's anything at all you need, PM me. I'll be available. See ya around sometime!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

Reviews: 0
Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:02 pm
Childark says...

Welcome Zakku Alpha! It's good to see an all-around writer here in YWS. Hope we can see, review and critique some of your works.

I'm John and I'm here to give advice, review, critique and a shoulder to cry on. If you need any friends, feel free to pm me.

Anyways.... WELCOME!

-John

Random avatar

Reviews: 17
Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:37 am
ZakkuAlpha says...

Wow, this is quite a welcome to YWS. Probably the most friendly welcome I have received on every forum. :). Thanks for all the tips and help about how things go on around here. I'll work on writing more reviews when I get time, but I promise I will write them.
Here are the answers to some of the questions I got asked:
1) What is your favorite color?
A:Blue most defiantly, It's the color of the ocean :)
2) What nickname would you prefer on this site?
A:Zakku's fine, You could also call me splinter(Its kind of my nickname)
3) If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go? Say Canada!
A:I'd probably go to England, because I love British accents xD
4) What is your favorite food?
A: Since I'm 16, I'll eat anything I'm given :D
5) Have you ever been caught picking your nose in public?
A: Not since like 1st grade :)
6)Favorite Author(s)?
A: Darren Shan, hands down
7)Favorite Book?
A: Lord Loss by Darren Shan (It was an amazing book :3)
8)How Long Have you Been Writing?
A: I have been writing for about 4 years
9)Do you like to read?
A: I LOVE Reading, it's amazing
10)What Genre Do You Write in?
A: I usually write Fantasy, Sometimes I write Realistic or Science Fiction.
Again, Thanks for the welcome and Thanks in advance for all of the help you will give me on writing. Also I promise I won't take any offense to criticism
Thanks,

122 Reviews

Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:29 am
WaterVyper says...

Yes, Darren Shan lover! Now, my life is almost complete. I still think Demon Apocalypse was better than Lord Loss though. The Demonata series rocks, but his vamp series is way better, in my opinion. And you like blue as well! *cheers* Well, what about interests in movies or music? I want to see the Cirque Du Freak movie so badly, but it won't be released until summer, at the least. So, great to know more about you. I'll be rooting about your portfolio now.
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:07 pm
Rosendorn says...

Yay! More fantasy writers!

Heh, actually, you'll find a lot of them here. There are at least three groups on the subject, but I think that actual number's more around five. ^_^
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:09 pm
Night Mistress says...

Hey

Welcome to YWS.

there are a ton of fantasy writer. I am one.

if you need anything, feel free to pm me.

see ya around.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

I was weeping as much for him as her; we do sometimes pity creatures that have none of the feeling either for themselves or others.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights