z

Young Writers Society

Hi there...

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:26 pm
Sanareth says...

Yeah, another new guy. Sorry. :)
I was looking for a website to get some critque for the short stories and things I'm writing. Most of the sites I find seem to be inactive, annoyingly, but this place seems to be the exception to rule (thank God!) I'll be more than happy to offer critique and opinions in return.
Not much I can say about me... except I'm a sixth form student looking to become a doctor/dentist/something at some point in the future. Oh, and I live in England. *sips tea*

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:35 pm
Night Mistress says...

Hey

Welcome to YWS

Anyways, before I go on, let me tell you that there are two strict rules you must follow:

Number one: The 2:1 YWS ratio. Yes, you cannot escape math here. You must always always always review two works of someone else's before posting one of your own.

Number two: Minimize chat-speak. Yes, you still may use "lol" upon occasion, but say "you" instead of "u" and "the" instead of "da." We try to pride ourselves on using good grammar like every writer does.

So what genre do you write and what are your favorite authors and books?

Pm me if you need anything.

See ya around.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

Random avatar

Reviews: 45
Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:38 pm
JustDance says...

Heyy!
Welcome to YWS!!!
Before you post some of you ah-mazinggg workk let's get down to the rules.
Can't escape that can ya?

1. The 2:1 ratio. Yep, before you post ANY of you work, you MUST MUST MUST review unleast 2 other people's work. And no, "I liked it." doesn't count.
If you can't find any mistakes unleast tell them some thoughts that went through your mind while reading the piece, or how they can improve.
2. Keep chat and caps minimum. We are writer's aren't we.
Besdies it can get annoying sometimes like this:
PlZ dOn'tT B wRtNg In ChTt FoRM

or this:

DON'T WRITE IN CHAT!!!!!!

It seems like i'm yelling at you, even though I'm not.

So remember these two simple rules, unless you want us coming after you with pitchforks!
Hehe just kidding.
Don't freak out if you did say "lol" or "rofl", minimum is okay, just don't use it in every post. Mkay?
Now if you have any more questions feel free to PM me!

--Anantta

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:41 pm
Meshugenah says...

We love new people! And we [s]don't even bite[/s] [s]hard[/s][s]often[/s] are always happy to see new faces! ;)

Yes! What do you write? Poetry, short stories, epic novels, creepy twisted fiction? Any fun hobbies, like saving snow/rain water for later use? Which reminds me, we tend to be slightly insane/inane/plain 'ole weird. Or at least I do ^^

Right, anyhoo! Welcome to YWS! If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a line! I can almost guarantee I know what's going on 'round here

Mesh
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:44 pm
Sanareth says...

Okay, thanks guys! The rules seem reasonable, chat speak is annoying.

I'm not sure what my genre is. It tends to vary a lot. As for books I like, I read a lot of fantasy. Favourite authors include Garth Nix, Malorie Blackman and Cornelia Funke.

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:49 pm
thefireinmeisJC says...

HI! *waves hand fanatically to get English guy's attention away from his lemon ginger tea and biscuit*
Sorry for the stereotype lol England is cool. I might be going to Cambridge U for a summer program...

Anyway Welcome to YWS!!! Addicted yet? Who knew getting your work torn to shreds could be so much fun?

kidding. We're all a friendly bunch. Including myself.

Yeah, another new guy. Sorry.

Don't apologize! We love newbies. That's what keeps the wacky world of YWS spinning.

Of course there's more things to say about yourself! Hobbies, genres that you write? Favorite music? Food? Authors? We don't bite. Well some of the Twilight lovers (of which I am a hater of) may chomp a little.

Oh yes. Where are my manners? Let me introduce myself. I'm JC. Nice to meet you. *shakes hand*

- JC
Give hugs not bombs or whatever that saying says

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:50 pm
Night Mistress says...

Oh Garth Nix. He is pretty good. The only book that i read by him was Sabriel and fell in love with it.

You will find a lot of fantasy writers here. Rosey Unicorn is one. She will come along shortly because she is a greeter too.

And i am one too.

well, looking forward to see your work around.

see ya around.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:52 pm
thefireinmeisJC says...

Ah, a Cornelia Funke "person". I saw the movie Inkheart yesterday! It was really good though I can't say if they deviated from the book at all because I read Inkheart a few years ago (can't really remember...) I must put it on my neverending list of books to check out of the library. My second home.
Give hugs not bombs or whatever that saying says

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:13 pm
Incognito says...

Welcome to YWS!

You are Cornelia Funke and Garth Nix fan?! I love them both so much. I haven't seen the Inkheart movie yet though. I am kind of scared. Sabriel was my favourite of the Abrhorsen series.

Well... hopefully I don't over load you with information right now... but here it goes.

Because you know both the two main rules already, I would like to explain the colored names. Those colors are all different jobs that those people may have.

The Light Blue, like me, are the Greeters. Their job is to welcome new people like you and help you settle into the vast world of YWS. They are most likely the first people you will meet and are always here if you need help navigating around the site.

The Purple colored people are the Intructors. Their job is to give out indepth reviews and critiques. they also are here to help you again if you need help. So you don't need to worry about needing help because in a flash of an eye, if you need a problem the Greeters and the Instructors will be able to help you.

The Light Green and Dark Green are the Junior Moderators and Moderators. The Junior Moderators have been on the site for a long time and have been nominated by their peers and they become a Moderator in training. A Moderator is a person who makes sure that we miscrients are following all the rules. Make sure that you are respectful to these people. Who knows what they can do to you. So don't break the law and no harm will befall you.

The Red names are the Admins. Those are the people who made and make sure the site is upto date. Those people need to be respected too. Heck, we all need to be respected.

Also, because you said you can't wait to get some critiques, let me tell you some neat things. There is a forum called the Will Review For Food and if you go in there it is almost guarenteed that you will get a review and if you need a heavy critique go into the Advanced Critique forums where you spend points to get a really well made review.

And that brings me to the final thing. Points. You earn points by posting in some forums or groups and reviewing. You collect points and if you have the most after two weeks along with some other things, you can become the Featured member. But Points are also used for putting up your work and getting advanced critiques.

Well I am finished ranting for now...

Well it was nice to meet you and I hope to see you around.

~Incognito.
'Everyone is entitled to be stupid, some just abuse the priviledge.'

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:28 pm
Rosendorn says...

Night Mistress wrote:You will find a lot of fantasy writers here. Rosey Unicorn is one. She will come along shortly because she is a greeter too.

Aww, thanks Night!

Yep, I'm one of the fantasy writers on here. Although you're more likely to find me "Other Fiction" "Poetry" or "Art and Photography" other then "Fantasy Fiction." There are way too many vampire stories in that forum. They creep me out.

I am however willing to help if you have a fantasy question. Or you can post in Writing Tips and then lots of people will answer you. Including me (most of the time). ^_^

A little more information on points:

You get 0.2points per characters in a post on the top two clusters of boards, maximum 50 points.

Points are reset every two weeks to 300, so don't go crazy if they drop suddenly.

You get points for critiquing, although sometimes a comment on a story isn't long enough to be considered a review. The length of a review is about 25 points.

You spend 150 points for each story/poem/work you submit, but you'll get points back.

You spend 100 points to post a new storybook (rpg) and you do not get any points back.

That pretty much covers points. Any more questions, ask!

So, are you working on anything now?

If you have any questions, PM me.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:50 pm
*DaughteroftheMoon* says...

I love Garth Nix and Cornelia Funke. Have you read the Sabriel series???
Oh and welcome. I see that everyone has covered all the rules and questions, so I'll just be hopping along. I just wanted to drop in and say hi!!
Well, if you need any reviews, or have any other question feel free to PM me. I'll be happy to help!
~Alyss
Amor Vincit Omnia

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:02 am
WaterVyper says...

I love Garth Nix and Cornelia Funke.

A girl after my own heart. Well, I'm just passing by since everyone's explained all that you need to know. I haven't seen the Inkheart movie since it hasn't come out in Jakarta. Or maybe it won't come out. That's a depressing though... Well, feel free to PM me for anything you need, be they reviews, questions, or chatter. I'll be available.

See ya around sometime! *waves*
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:30 am
Hannah says...

Oh, and I live in England. *sips tea*

Hahaha! That made me giggle inside~ I'm sure you say rubbish and stuff, right? xD Ahh, don't add to the stereotype! -slaps self- xD Anyways, welcome! ^_^ I'm Hannah.

Garth Nix for the win! I really admire him because I remember reading the Sabriel trilogy thing and thinking it was absolutely amazing -- I should get around to reading it again some time! THEN I read his Shade's Children, which was on a completely different topic and stuff, so I thought that was pretty cool. xD So, I like him too. ^_^ -high fives-

Hmmm, I feel like throwing another tip in just because I'm silly! Actually, these are both things I learned the hard way, so you'd best learn them now!

First of all, even if you have a huge pot of points saved up, don't go posting a million pieces at once. >_<; One or two pieces a day is quite adequate, and you should wait for them to get some reviews before posting more. xD Not only would you flood the forum with all your work if you posted too much, you'd also make other people think that maybe you were only there to show off your work rather than get critiques on it. =] So, avoid this!

Second of all, be sure to rate your work so it can show up on the front page. Well, if it's rated R {you have to rate a work R if it contains swear words or graphic material}, it won't show up, but the rest of the time it will, making it easier to be reviewed because people will know it exists! ^_^

Anyways, feel free to PM me if you want anything reviewed or have any questions. -thumbs up- Again, welcome!

-Hannah-

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:30 am
ballerina13 says...

Well, it looks like everyone had already told you about the rules that we have here. So, the next thing I can say is: How are you? What genre do you enjoy writing in?
Everyone is very nice here and willing to help. PM me if you have any questions.

~Ballerina13

That smells like the inside of a tropical rainforest.
— Yoshikrab's friend