z

Young Writers Society

hay grrl hay. ;D

Reviews: 0
Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:17 am
AUDREY BEE! says...

hehe. hello everyone! :D i'm audrey, thirteen going on fourteen, female, australian.
i love fashion, i want to be a fashion designer/photographer.
i also quite like interior design; i love to decorate my room and get new bed linen. haha.
and, well, i think this probably would've been obvious given the fact that i'm on a writing forum but, i love books and writing. :P i'm not as good as my sister (she's so good. D: ), but i like to think i'm quite... capable. haha.
um. so yeah. do what you will with that info (whether it be stalking or just taking it in! :P), and uh... welcome me? :D i mean, i suppose you don't have to but... it would be nice. hehe.
also sorry if i come off idk, cocky. i'm not good at introductions. last time i introduced myself on a forum a girl called me 'arrogant' and 'foolish'. needless to say i don't go on that forum very often. ;p

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:30 am
WaterVyper says...

Hey Audrey! Before you start putting your stuff up, there are two major rules that you have to follow. Don't worry, they aren't much.

1. Keep the 2:1 review rule. That means that for every work that you put up, we request that you review two in return. It makes sure that everyone gets a review.

2. No chatspeak. That basically means correct grammar, spelling, and capitalization. Most of us here are grammar Nazis. You could probably get away with a few abbreviations, but no overdoing it.

Well, that's it for the rules! So, tell us more about yourself. What do you like to read? Who do you like to read? What do you like to write and in which genre? What are your interests in movies and music? Stuff like that. And no, you don't sound arrogant. I don't see any boasting in that.

Here on YWS, we have usergroups. Click on the big 'Groups' button above in the header to find them. They are made for specific interests, like poetry writing, Twilight, cartoons, etcetera. You'll find one you like eventually. And you can start your own, if all else fails.

Well, I hope to see you around soon. Feel free to PM me for anything you need- that includes questions you need answered, reviews for your work, and friendship. Well, see ya around!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:38 am
View Likes
LilyJamey says...

Hello, Audrey! I'm Lily. Welcome to the site!

I must say, you don't sound very cocky to me. :wink: Although I hope I don't come off as stuck up, either.

Now, first things first! Here are the most basic, most important rules in the entire site!
1. The 2:1 ratio. For every poem/story you publish, you have to do two reviews on others' works. This maintains a healthy balance in the Literature Forums.

2. Absolutely NO chatspeak! Words like POV, MC, and lol are allowed, though. You must also use correct punctuation and grammar - this is, after all, a writers' site. Capslock isn't allowed, either, like your name. "idk" isn't allowed. Get used to it.

So, what kind of books do you read? Chances are, you'll find a well-sized fan base, whether it be Tamora Pierce or Harry Potter. They are under Groups. You'll see plenty of people with similar interests there!

As for your writing... Well, if you do prose, I'd be more than glad to help you critique it! Just call on me. Warning: I'm a nitpicker and an absolute grammar freak.

As for photography... There's actually a section in the Literature Forums for Art and Photography, so make yourself comfortable!

If you need anything, just PM me. I'd be more than glad to help.

Cheers,
Lily.

Edit: Vyper! I was gonna do it!
Got YWS?

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:52 am
Mars says...

-stalkstalkstalk-

Welcome! I see Vyper has beaten me to explaining the rules and stuff, so I'll just ditto everything she said.

Oh, and also. You've probably noticed that some members have different colored names? Vyper's acid blue color means she's a Greeter: it's their job to make sure all new members are welcomed and can find their way around the site. I'm sure there will be an avalanche of Greeters on this thread before too long! xD

My lilac coating means I'm an Instructor. We buzz around the literature forums, giving critiques and trying to help everyone improve their writing. You can request reviews from us, and other very capable members as well, on the Will Review For Food thread. That's under The Lounge.

Light Green are Junior Mods and Darker Green are Mods. They help the admins run the site, and are really excellent. So, if you need help, just go to them.

Red = administrators. Nate is our beloved founder, and Meshugenah is his right-hand woman. Orange = distinguished members, e.g. they retired from the mod squad honorably.

Anyways, have fun browsing, and PM me if you need anything.
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:04 pm
AUDREY BEE! says...

Oh. Okay, got it. (: I haven't written with correct capitalisation in a while. :P

I feel like a bit of a, um, I don't use this often but I think n00b is the best word. xD But it was just me uh, being relaxed, I suppose. Not that I feel uptight or anything typing like this or not using chatspeak and stuff (it actually feels rather nice typing like this) it's just I usually speak like that to friends and stuff and um, well. I'm not very good at conveying whatever I'm trying to say right now! xD

Well, I like a lot of books. Some that spring to mind, as far as fiction goes, are The Catcher in the Rye (JD Salinger), The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Stephen Chbosky), Fight Club (Chuck Palahniuk), American Psycho (Bret Easton Ellis), Anansi Boys (Neil Gaiman) and Survivor (also by Chuck). Oh and also Harry Potter, somehow I always seem to forget that even though I love it. :P

I like non-fiction books too, however. Word of the Day 2: Wordwatching (Kel Richards) and Mind the Gaffe (R.L Trask) are two of my favourites in that category. They're both word related. And also I Am America and So Can You by Stephen Colbert, but I'm not sure if this would be in fiction or non-fiction; it has the best of both worlds!

I've already named some of my favourite authors, but I guess there isn't any harm in adding a few more! Mark Haddon, Meg Rosoff, Marcus Sedgwick, Michi Girl (she's a blogger of sorts too. She has a really good fashion book) and um, wow I can't think of any others. It's annoying when that happens! xD

I actually have to go to bed, so if it wasn't for that fact I probably could have written more but... the fact remains I must sleep. :P Thanks for the welcomes!

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:13 pm
WaterVyper says...

...I have not heard of any of those authors and books except for Catcher in the Rye, Harry Potter, and Neil Gaiman. And out of all of those, I've only read the Harry Potter series. Well, good night! I still have two hours left so... yeah. I gotta go do homework now. I keep procrastinating with YWS. My brothers say it's evil. Where is my USB...?
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:06 pm
Night Mistress says...

Hey.

welcome to YWS.

Since all of my question have been asked. All i can tell you is if you need anything, feel free to pm me.

See ya around.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:17 pm
daydreamer9 says...

Hey audrey! :]

Welcome to YWS. I'm sure you feel right at home here in no time. Most of the main rules have been stated, but there are two more I always like to point out.

One of them is "Be kind and respectful'. When you start reviewing pieces, make sure that all the advice you give is constructive. The people at YWS love getting reviews on their work, but not mean ones. I usually go by the phrase, "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it all", well at least when it comes to reviewing. ;] If there are things you don't like about a piece, I still encourage you to point those parts out to the author but do it politely. That way, everyone's happ!

And the MOST IMPORTANT RULE OF ALL is. . . . .have fun! YWS is a unique place that is filled with some many wonders for you to explore.

If on any of your travels across YWS you have a questions, feel free to PM me. I'd love to help in any way I can.

-dd9
live like there's no tomorrow, dream like you'll live forever.

be the change you wish to see in the world
-gandi

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:36 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

So, once you have finished your two critiques and are about to post your work on the literary forums, please take the few seconds to rate it. If you do rate it (and it's not rated R for reasons I will go over later) it will show up on the front page on YWS! On the front page a bunch of people will see it, and you're likely to get more comments on it.

R works are the only things that will not show up on the front page. They contain the f-word and/or graphic scenes.

Ohh, a designer? I loved interior design for quite a few years. Even considered getting my degree in it. However, writing kept on taking over. Feel free to use any trade lingo on me though. I'm still known to dabble in it. :P

Methinks you are a comedy nut by your non-fiction list. Me too, although Colbert isn't my favourite. I prefer stand-up artists like Ron James and Danny Bohy, or full on sketch comedy such as Air Farce (which is unfortunately canceled)

If you have any questions, PM me.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Reviews: 45
Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:07 pm
JustDance says...

Heyy Audery!
Welcome to YWS!!!
Before you post some of you ah-mazinggg workk let's get down to the rules.
Can't escape that can ya?

1. The 2:1 ratio. Yep, before you post ANY of you work, you MUST MUST MUST review unleast 2 other people's work. And no, "I liked it." doesn't count.
If you can't find any mistakes unleast tell them some thoughts that went through your mind while reading the piece, or how they can improve.
2. Keep chat and caps minimum. We are writer's aren't we.
Besdies it can get annoying sometimes like this:
PlZ dOn'tT B wRtNg In ChTt FoRM

or this:

DON'T WRITE IN CHAT!!!!!!

It seems like i'm yelling at you, even though I'm not.

So remember these two simple rules, unless you want us coming after you with pitchforks!
Hehe just kidding.
Don't freak out if you did say "lol" or "rofl", minimum is okay, just don't use it in every post. Mkay?
Now if you have any more questions feel free to PM me!
I also <3 fashion by the way, so we'll probably get along good! =]

--Anantta

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:59 pm
Winter's Twelfth Night says...

Hello Audrey! Welcome to YWS. I am Winter.

I suppose you've read the rules as they've been posted four times already. :D

So, what do you like to write? Poetry? Fantasy? Lyrics? I like historical fiction. If you ever need a review please feel free to ask me! Although I must warn you that I won't be much help with poems, lyrics, art or photography.

Anyway, PM me if you need anything!
-Winter
Mamillius: Merry or sad shall’t be?
Hermione: As merry as you will.
Mamillius: A sad tale’s best for winter. I have one
Of sprites and goblins.

The Winter's Tale

Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:39 am
AUDREY BEE! says...

=D Thanks everyone.

Yay for people liking fashion and interior design! :3 I love you by default lol.

Well, I like all sorts. I quite like historical fiction too (although I can't say I write much of it. I once tried writing a vampire story set in the 1700s and it turned out... awful. I was, however, only ten so I suppose I can forgive myself for that!). Actually, I like most things historical, I adore anything related to Marie Antoinette. :P

I wouldn't know what to call most of the things I write, I've never quite been able to put them into categories. I guess I do write a lot of satire and transgressive fiction, though. I also like to write horror and fantasy type stories. I think what I like to write could be described as dark, creepy and weird. Definitely not the stuff I'd write for school. Haha. =P

"Do not try to be pretty. You weren't meant to be pretty; you were meant to burn down the earth and graffiti the sky. Don't let anyone ever simplify you to just 'pretty'"
— Suzanne Rivard