z

Young Writers Society

-poofs in- Come Meet Me, I'm a Lot of Fun!

Reviews: 0
Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:38 am
Lyrastarsborn says...

Hello all!
I go by Lyra and so, that is what you shall call me.
I have been writing for as long as I can remember and it is truly my one passion in life. I started writing in my early teen years as a way to cope with things, I found it very peaceful once I had a pen in my hand and my thoughts on paper.
Over the years it has become a lot more to me. Between the creating these mesmerizing people to building my own little universe that helps our world see things a little differently, I love every aspect of it. Unlike a lot of people, I even enjoy some constructive criticism to help me better myself.

As far as I go as a person, I guess I am very free spirited and I feel very deeply. I think those qualities all of us writers share. A closed-minded, uncompassionate soul wouldn't make it very far in our world, now would they?

I love animals, so much, in fact, that I am a vegetarian.
I like to write short stories and am working on one at the moment that I am excited to post on here. My dear Isolde is quite excited to finish her story.
I do some poetry, but it's not something I put a lot of work into, although I do love reading others work.
I hope to start my first novel sometime this year and I have been playing with a few ideas for quite a while now.

Well, I will stop talking about myself now.
I am excited to meet some new people here!

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:21 am
Meep(: says...

*flings confetti around*
*silly string!*
Welcome to the loopy YWS family, Lyra!
Nice to have you here.

Let's lay down the ground rules first, kay?
1) 2:1 ratio rule. For every 1 piece of work you post, you should review 2 others not done by you. Help us keep the balance in the forums.
2) Minimise chatspeak and CAPS lock.

It's great to hear someone so passionate about their writing. You'll fit in just fine! :D
I look forward to reading your works and hope that you get on with your novel.
Its good that you welcome constructive critism because sometimes your work gets ripped apart.
I only do that extremely rarely.

Glad to hear you're so compassionate towards our compatriots. The animals.
Perosnally, the only meat I eat is chicken.
Sometimes I nibble on some fish and other meats, but I'm a chicken person.

Am I free-spirited?
Well, I'm not sure about that, but I'm quite certain that I'm a deep thinker/feel-er :D

Well then, feel free to PM me for anything, including friendship and reviews.
I'll be happy to help.
See you around then! :D

~In case you were wondering why my username is cyan coloured, that's because I'm a Greeter.
Basically, we smother you newbies like overly affectionate mothers.
But you get the point. The title speaks for itself :D
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:46 pm
WaterVyper says...

Hi Lyra! Well, I think I'll elaborate on the colors that Meep has mentined above me.

Blue/cyan: As Meep has said, they are the Greeters. They'll make you feel welcome, and help you by answering any preliminary questions you have.

Purple: They're Instructors. They're the people you go to if you need a good critique. They're the ones who 'go above and beyond in helping you to improve your writing' or something like that, at the very least.

Light Green and Dark Green: Junior Moderators and Moderators. Go to them for any other questions.

Red: Administrators. They keep the site up and running!

Orange: Distinguished members of the site.

That's it! So, you're a vegetarian? I used to be one, till somebody told me I wasn't getting enough protein. I don't particularily enjoy the taste of meat or tofu, but I eat them to get protein. So, starting a novel? I'm working on one right now. I hate it when ideas just pop in out of nowhere, when I'm working on a particular juicy scene. Well, I think that everyone can relate to you really well.

So, that's all I can say for now. Feel free to Pm me for reviews, questions, or if you just want to chat. I'll be available. See ya around, and I hope to be reading your short story soon.
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:41 pm
Hannah says...

Hi! ^_^ I'm Hannah! Welcome to YWS! I also just wanted to point out another quick rule which relates to the rating system. If your work has any graphic scenes in it or the 'F' word, you have to rate it 'R', otherwise, just figure out which of the other ratings fits! If you rate your work when you post it, it'll show up on the front page for everyone to see~ ^_^ And that's always fun, right? xD

I like to write short stories and am working on one at the moment that I am excited to post on here. My dear Isolde is quite excited to finish her story.
I do some poetry, but it's not something I put a lot of work into, although I do love reading others work.
I hope to start my first novel sometime this year and I have been playing with a few ideas for quite a while now.

^_^ Hehe, you seem to go backwards from me. I tried starting a novel first and have the idea still, but I could never write short stories. xD I just finished my first one that I'm quite proud of! I think it came from the fact I never wanted to finish anything. <_< Maybe it seemed like 'killing' it! -sobface- But now I've overcome that fear! -thumbs up-

I wish you good luck with your novel! It will be exciting to work on! =D Don't give up!

Hope to see you around! ^_^ Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them, though I'm relatively new here myself. xD

-Hannah-

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:26 pm
Night Mistress says...

Hey.

Welcome to YWS.

So you write short story. What type of short stories? Are they romance, action, drama, etc.?

I love animals too, but I am not a vegatrian. I don't think I could handle it. Vegan I could probably handle, but not vegantrian.

Well, i look forward to reading your work.

See ya around.

Ps: If you need anything, feel free to pm me. that's including friendship too.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:51 pm
PenguinAttack says...

Hey there!

Welcome to the YWS, I'm sure you'll find lots of lovely people here to fulfill your friendly needs. A short note, though, if you could make the caps in your title into lowercase letters, it would be really awesome. ^^ All uppercase letters is hard on the eyes.

If you have any questions or anything, feel free to Pm me or any other Mod.

Once again, welcome.

*Hearts* Le Penguin.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:53 pm
*DaughteroftheMoon* says...

Welcome to YWS! Its great to see that you love animals so much. To what degree vegetarian are you? Do you eat eggs or drink milk or just stay away from meat. Sorry, if I offend you or anything, I'm just curious.
I also love to write poetry, and would love to review yours, just PM me if you want one! SO what kind of novel do you plan on writing? Mystery, Romance? Haha, I would love to know.
So if you need any help, or need a tour. Let me know, I'll be happy to help you out. I love your name by the way,
~Alyss
Amor Vincit Omnia

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:04 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

Just a little reminder: When you do post your work, it would be nice if you rated it. Rated works (unless they are rated R) will show up on the front page for all to see! And who doesn't want their work to be seen? :wink: Works that are rated R have the f-word and/or graphic scenes.

I'm a vegitarien too. I've eaten meat maybe five times in my whole life?

Are you a fantasy writer? The "creating worlds" thing makes me think you are. ^_^ I just love fantasy.

If you need anything, feel free to PM me.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:34 am
Winter's Twelfth Night says...

Welcome to YWS! I am Winter.

You're writing a novel? I just wrote the prologue to my first (hopefully) novel. What is your novel going to be about? Or are you not sure yet? It took me about a year to find a good plot line. I had tons of ideas going through my head, but eventually I came up with the basic outline of my plot. But enough about me... :D

What are some of your favorite hobbies? What genres do you like to read and write? I like historical fiction best.

Anyway, if you need any help with anything please feel free to send me a PM!
-Winter
Mamillius: Merry or sad shall’t be?
Hermione: As merry as you will.
Mamillius: A sad tale’s best for winter. I have one
Of sprites and goblins.

The Winter's Tale

Reviews: 0
Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:38 am
Lyrastarsborn says...

Everyone seems so friendly. I didn't expect to see any responces on here, going on what I see from other sites I have been on.

To answer some of the questions..
I do still eat eggs/drink milk, etc. It is mainly just meat of any kind. I think it's mainly the idea that an animal had to die for what I am eating. It is a personal choice however and I totally don't hate on others for choosing to eat meat. I have considered cutting out dairy all together, but I have low iron and what not as it is, so I don't want to cause my body any harm in the process.

I do really love fantasy. Strange thing is though, I don't really like to read it, just write it. I find any time I try to get into a fantasy novel, not matter how exciting it may be, I just can't finish it. They just don't seem to interest me. I haven't quite figured out the reasoning behind this yet..

I'm so sorry about the CAPS, I probably should really read over all the rules and make sure I understand before posting..

I totally expect "bashing" of my work. Especially on the internet.
The way I see it, my work isn't everyones bag of chips, but even if it was dreadfully horrific, I would still do it, because it makes me happy. Luckily I have found people who do enjoy my work and ideas, so it is a great thing to hear that someone appreciates your passion.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:36 am
daydreamer9 says...

Welcome Lyra!

From reading your responses, I can tell you are an incredibly articulate person. You'll fit right in here at YWS. :] You will soon find, if you already haven't, that the writers on YWS are a rare breed. I'd call us a mix of poets, reviewers, writers, playwrites, crazy people (myself included), and everything inbetween.

I didn't expect to see any responces on here, going on what I see from other sites I have been on.

I completely understand. When I first started here (not too long ago) I had never experienced an online community like this. I hoped that I would one day find a welcoming community of writers, but never did I think I'd find one! I feel so lucky to have found YWS, and I'm sure you'll feel the same.

PM me with any and all questions. I'd love to help!

-dd9
live like there's no tomorrow, dream like you'll live forever.

be the change you wish to see in the world
-gandi

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:43 pm
Rosendorn says...

I know what you mean about finishing fantasy works. I consider myself a fantasy writer but I'm not even interested in about 90% of the stuff on the market. The other 10% just gives me new ideas, so I have a hard time finishing books myself. I've had one waiting to be finished for about three years. And it's by my favourite author (Tamora Pierce) so, yeah. I also really dislike vampires, ghosts and werewolf stories, so that narrows down the amount I spend in the fantasy forum. Vampire stories are way to plentiful.

YWS is great for respsonses. I remember when i joined I had about three responses an hour. I considered that just amazing. Thanks to that, I want to make other members feel just as welcome! Hence the blue name. ^_^
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

There are darknesses in life and there are lights, and you are one of the lights, the light of all lights.
— Bram Stoker