z

Young Writers Society

Well, Hello!

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:30 am
abstractpoet says...

HOLA PEOPLES!

I'm AbstractPoet, Abby for short. I'm a junior in high school with dreams of majoring in Creative Writing. Mostly I write poetry, but occasionally I turn a short story out.

I'm looking forward to reviewing and getting reviews. See you out there!

Random avatar

Reviews: 24
Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:36 am
guitargrl1323 says...

hey abby
what type of poetry do you write?
can't wait to see some of your work
~Bren~

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:37 am
Rosendorn says...

Hola back!

So, before you get posting, you should know two main rules here:

1- Review two works before posting any of your own. That way more people get reviews, plus, other members are very willing to return the favour. It's asked you always keep that 2:1 ratio.
2- Minimize chat-speak. Some phrase abbreviations and alliteration is okay, just don't overdo it.

So, tell us a bit more about yourself! What are your favourite books? Poets? Prose authors?

If you need anything, feel free to PM me.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:50 am
WaterVyper says...

Hey! So, Rosey's already covered the rules, so I'll go with colors. You'll notice that some members have differently colored names. Each of these colors has a role.

Blue: Greeters. They're supposed to make new members feel welcome, so don't worry about that. They'll answer any preliminary questions you have.

Purple: Instructors. Any time that you need an in-depth critique, you can ask them for help. I'm pretty sure that at least three of them specialize in poetry.

Light Green: Junior Moderators.

Dark Green: Moderators.

Red: Administrators.

Orange: Distinguished members of YWS.

So, that's it for colors. Hm, what hobbies do you have, besides writing? Music? Movies? I'd suggest going to the 'Groups' button up there, and searching for one you like. I think we have a group for poetry... I'll have to check on that. So, see ya around! Feel free to PM me if you have a question, need a review, or just want to chat. Bye!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:14 am
Night Mistress says...

Hey Abby,

Welcome to YWS.

You didn't tell us much about yourself. Like favorite books/authors/music/movies.

So what do you plan to write while you are here?

See ya around.

p.s: Pm me if you need anything and that including friendship.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:24 am
cheese9975 says...

Hey, Abby welcome! There are a ton of very good poets on this site, I'm sure you'll find a few people to discuss poet-y things with (poetry is not my forte). Anywhoot, just stick to the rules Rosey laid out and you'll know this place like the back of yo' hand in no time!

Good luck and happy writing,
Shannon
"The manatee has become the mento." -Tracy Jordan

"Live every week like it's shark week." -Tracy Jordan
^30 Rock is love

9 Reviews

Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:37 am
abstractpoet says...

Wow! I didn't expect you all to be so very friendly!
Lets see if I can answer your questions.

Mostly I write Dramatic and Lyric poetry. I get my inspiration from random everyday life things. I can't rhyme to save my life, so my poetry is very free form.

I just love books. I don't think I have an absolute favorite. I read basically everything, from Jane Austen to Orson Scott Card. I love Jaclyn Moriarty, Tamora Pierce, Madeleine L'Engle, Stephanie Meyer, Scott Westerfeld, ect. Right now I'd have to say that my current favorite book is The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. My favorite author is C.S. Lewis

I'm partial to Robert Frost by way of poetry. I also love Edward Taylor; Meditation 8 is one of the most beautiful poems that I've ever read. I also like Edgar Allen Poe's poetry and prose.

I've been playing the piano for 11 years. My favorite composer is Chopin. I love every single one of his preludes. Rachmaninoff, though a bit complicated for me, is another favorite. Grieg also.

Outside of classical music, I like Reliant K and Incubus.

By way of movies, anything remotely Hayao Miazaki goes. My favorite movie to this day is Howl's Moving Castle. It's also a really good book. I'm partial to superhero movies, too. Iron Man, Superman, Batman (Christian Bale, squee!). I also love the Narnia movies, which are also good books!

Mostly I'll probably post just poetry here, unless I feel the need to also share a short story.

Other random facts: I loved anything Disney. I'm addicted to Facebook. I'm on my school's newspaper. My favorite food is sushi. I like bubbles. And I have a weird sense of humor that I picked up from my dad.

I look forward to getting involved around here!
Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. - Marianne Williamson

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:46 am
View Likes
Antigone Cadmus says...

Chopin! I love playing him on piano.

Welcome to YWS! Do you like epic poetry? Ancient lyric poetry? *hugs book of Catullus*

-Sakura
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

9 Reviews

Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:02 am
abstractpoet says...

Heh...to tell the truth, I could barely handle "Beowulf" when I had to read it my sophomore year. I mean, epic, ancient poetry is great and all, but I haven't discovered a love for it yet.
Maybe you could help me! :D
Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. - Marianne Williamson

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:57 am
WaterVyper says...

Ooh, Frost. I love his poetry. I remember a time when we were reciting one of his poems, and both of the really heavy guys were on one end of the stage. So, we were going:

"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood-"

Bang! The stage collapsed on that side. Very fun to watch. Well, I gotta go for a while. See ya around sometime!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

1272 Reviews

Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:39 pm
Rosendorn says...

I zeroed in on Pierce. I love her stuff to!

*Sigh* I think there is something about dads in general. I got my rather random (and bad-pun ridden) sense of humour from my dad, who go it from his dad and it wouldn't surprise me if it went back another few generations.

I like classical a lot too. My favourite singer is Josh Groban, and I'd go to an opera or ballet before a concert.

Hope to see you round the forums!

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:47 pm
LilyJamey says...

One day, and already 10 posts! Wow.

Hi and welcome, Abby! Me name's Lily.

I'm pretty good at making mismatching, corny rhymes - a.k.a., I suck at rhyming too. I don't critique poetry, though. I used to write it, but I'm not sure I should review anything I'm not so familiar with. Fiction is clearcut - I'll stick there for now.

I love short stories. When you post them, be sure to call me to join in the fun. :wink:

Most people here love Disney. Wait till you meet somebody with Simba as her avatar.

I got my slightly sadistic streak from my dad, too. Haha.

PM me if you need anything!

Cheers,
Lily.
Got YWS?

1272 Reviews

Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:53 pm
Rosendorn says...

LilyJamey wrote:Most people here love Disney. Wait till you meet somebody with Simba as her avatar.

That would be Demeter. She's Disney obsessed.

I like the old movies, and the princess stuff.

9 Reviews

Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:39 am
abstractpoet says...

I'm actually going to be making my way over to Disneyland soon, so SQUEE!
haha, I'm super excited.

My current favorite (I always have to put current in there because I'm always changing my favorites) Frost poem is "Birches."

I'm considering putting an old-ish short story up that I know is kind of rough, but I'd like to make it better. I'll let you know if I do, Lily!

I get so many of my random quirks from my dad. I don't know what it is.

Is that a carrot?
— WeepingWisteria