z

Young Writers Society

Hey, I'm Samantha

Reviews: 2
Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:52 pm
Vamp_Dollie says...

Hey, I'm samantha and I'm new... Any advice on the inner workings of the site?
I want to be sung to sleep.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:09 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

Before you get to deep into anything, be sure to remember two main rules:

1- Review two works before posting any of your own. This helps everybody get a review, with the added bonus of people wanting to return the favour! It's asked you always keep that 2:1 ratio
2- Minimize chat-speak. Some abbreviations and alliteration is okay, just don't overdo it.

So, you haven't told us much about yourself. What genres do you like writing? Any favourite books? Authors? Music?

A quick tour of the buttons in the header:

Home- Brings you to the main index
My YWS- Here you can check out any reviews you have gotten, which of your friends has posted something new in their blog, your list of friends, ect.
Community- Brings you to this forum.
Writing- Brings you to the literature boards. Here you'll find all the different places you can post work, and give reviews.
Groups- Where all the usergroups are found. There is one for almost everything, so check them out!
Resources- Where you can find a bunch of helpful articles on writing and navigating YWS. Those are found in the Knowledge Base.
Squills- YWS's e-zine.
Blogs- Where you can find the YWS blog, the latest posts and where you can create your own.
Messages- Your inbox
Help and Support- Has a bunch of articles on the many aspects of YWS. Read that and you should be able to navigate just fine!

Hope I helped! If you have anymore questions, feel free to hit the little "PM me" button at the bottom of this post and I will be happy to answer.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:18 pm
Winter's Twelfth Night says...

Hello Vamp Dollie! I am Winter's Twelfth Night (preferably just Winter). Welcome to the wonderful world of YWS!
Hmmmmm... Rosey did an excellent job of explaining the site. What else can I tell you?

Oh! Well in case you were wondering, the people with different colored usernames have jobs! The light blue usernames are Greeters. Greeters welcome new members to the site and answer any questions they may have! The violet usernames are Instructors. They will give you in depth reviews of your work if you ask them. The light green usernames are Junior Moderators, who help the moderators (dark green) enforce the rules on the site. The red usernames are site administrators. The orange usernames are distinguished members.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!
-Winter
Mamillius: Merry or sad shall’t be?
Hermione: As merry as you will.
Mamillius: A sad tale’s best for winter. I have one
Of sprites and goblins.

The Winter's Tale

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:18 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

Hey, Samantha! Nice to meet you. I see you've met Rosey - she's one of our many greeters.

My name is in purple because I'm an Instructor. It's out job to "go above and beyond in helping others improve their writing skills."

I'm Sakura. ^_^

By your username I assume you like vampires? They're a passion of mine as well.

Do you have any favorite books or authors?
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:37 pm
Vamp_Dollie says...

Yeah I'm a bit of a vampire fan, Dracula has been my morning commute buddy for a while though. but my username comes from my band's name "The Vamp Dollies".

I really like to write in a lot of different forms. I'm mostly into Journalism, music journalism specifically. I do write a lot of fiction and poetry though.

Don't worry about the chat-speak thing, I loathe chat speak.

Well, I'm really obsessed with Charles Baudelaire right now and Chuck Palahniuk.

Sorry, I sort of just answered everyone's questions in a really random order.

Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:38 pm
Vamp_Dollie says...

Oh and music? I can go on for days about that. Honestly don't get me started.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:54 am
WaterVyper says...

Hey Samantha! I'm Emily, or Vyper, or whatever you want to call me. I won't mind. So, great to see you around and welcome to YWS. Hm, interests in movies? And I love Dracula! I've been wanting to get an un-condensed copy of it, but all I have is the one for juniors. Ah well, it'll have to do.

So, great to meet you! Feel free to PM me for any questions you have, or if you want a review, or whatever. I'll be available. See ya around, Samantha!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:09 am
Night Mistress says...

Hey Samatha. Can I call you Sam/

I love vampire too. I am current editing mine. it's called Poison Love but i am changing the title to Addicting Poison.

Well, i look forward to seeing your work around.

PM me if you need anything and that inclduing friendship.

See ya around.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

208 Reviews

Reviews: 208
Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:44 am
Merry_Haven says...

*Samantha~

How are you on this fine day? All is well I hope? I am glad so many people have treated you well. That's one of the amazing things here on YWS. Friendship!! Cool. Cool.

One of the advices I would give is be honest and be helpful. And I'm sure there are bunches of things that make this place homey.

If you ever would love to be friends, you can always do so. See you around!

*Merry
Mary had a little lamb. Little lamb. Little lamb!

Ugh!! I really hate my name. >.<

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:21 am
cheese9975 says...

Hey, Samantha, it's nice to meet you! Just stick to the rules Rosey gave you and you'll be golden.

Tell us about yourself? What kind of writing do you usually do? Favorite books? TV shows? Hobbies? We love to know!

PM me if you need anything, or just want to chit chat! I'm always welcoming to another excuse to procrastinate!

Stay classy,
Shannon
"The manatee has become the mento." -Tracy Jordan

"Live every week like it's shark week." -Tracy Jordan
^30 Rock is love

Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:26 pm
Vamp_Dollie says...

Wow thanks guys for being so nice, I feel very welcome. Yes anyone can call me Sam. I'm glad there are so many fellow vampire lovers out there.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:39 pm
LilyJamey says...

Hello, Sam! Just dropped in to give you a belated welcome to the site!

Since everyone has said most of what I wanted to say.. I'll be pretty brief.

My name's Lily, and I critique/write Fiction only! My poetry critiquing is terrible. However, you can ask me for a review on fiction anytime!

Vampires rock. They should never sparkle.

PM me if you need anything at all!

Cheers,
Lily.
Got YWS?

Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:13 pm
Vamp_Dollie says...

I'll raise my glass to that, vampires really shouldn't sparkle.

huh. didn't realize santa was a batman fan-
— Mageheart