z

Young Writers Society

Hi, I'm new

Reviews: 0
Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:28 pm
absentOFgrace says...

My name is Brittany, and I'm following my welcome message suggestion to introduce myself here.
I turn 21 tomorrow and I've always had a passion for writing and get cheap thrills out of the fact that I've had three poems published in my local newspaper before I was ten years old. I am a nerd and write essays, poems, and stories for fun when I can't sleep at night. Currently, my narcisism has led me to start writing my life story, I'm on page 283 on my little pet project and have grand ideas of it being the best thing ever written ;)

If I had been smarter, I would have read other introductions to get a grasp at what I'm supposed to be writing here, so bear with me.

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:45 pm
Flux says...

No problem Brittany! I'm La Reina, a greeter here at YWS. How exciting that you've had poems published before you were ten! I envy you. Anyways, before I go on, there are a few main things I have to explain before I go on:

The two main rules at YWS consist of:
1) Minimizing chat-speak. Try using "you" instead of "u" and "the" instead of "da." I'm sure you'll have no problems with this.
2) Please follow the YWS 2:1 ratio. Review two works before posting one of your own!

If you have any more questions, you can post in the Sticky part of the Welcome forum, or you can ask someone. And check out the Rules section for more.

Since you've already told us about what your writing, what are your "Favourites"? Favourite movies/ books/ authors/ writing genre/ etc,.

If you have any question feel free to pm me or ask anyone on the site! We're all willing to help. Again, welcome to the wacky wild family of YWS.

LaReina!
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.

Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth."

-- Oscar Wilde

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:16 pm
Winter's Twelfth Night says...

Hello Brittany! I am Winter. Welcome to YWS!

So, you like writing poetry? I don't know if you know this, but here on YWS we have many different usergroups that focus on certain themes/books/movies. These can be found by clicking the groups icon at the top of the page. For example, we have a Twilight usergroup called Alice Cullen Knows Your Next Move, which is very popular. We have a debate group for people who like to discuss/argue and we have a group for novelists. We also have groups that focus on specific aspects of writing such as plot and characterization. I'm almost positive that there is a poetry group, but I'm not sure. :D These are great places to get to know people who share common interests! You can also earn points by posting in groups.
Anyway, if you have any questions feel free to PM me!
-Winter
Mamillius: Merry or sad shall’t be?
Hermione: As merry as you will.
Mamillius: A sad tale’s best for winter. I have one
Of sprites and goblins.

The Winter's Tale

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:16 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

Winter is correct. There is a poetry group on here, called Poetry Inspiration.

Amazing work that you've had poems published! What field to you plan on going into?

I am another Greeter, like LaReina. Our names are in blue, and it's our job to make you feel welcome here and answer any sort of YWS navigation questions you might have.

The other coloured names are:

Purple: Instructors. If you want a highly detailed critique of your work, ask them.
Light green: Jr. mods. They have mod powers in some forums.
Green: Mods. They keep things running smoothly by locking threads, breaking up fights and answering all kinds of questions.
Red: Admins. They make sure the site stays up and running.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:56 pm
Meshugenah says...

Haha! I think you intro's just fine! Of course, that may also be me justifying my recent turn to narcissism of a similar vein ;) Along those lines, what kind of essays do you write when you're bored? Formal essays, or those more along the lines of musings?

Anyhoo, welcome to the site! If you have any questions, feel free to give me a holler! I'm happy to help! Or if you want to talk/complain/rant about poetry, writing in general, drop me a line, too!

Mesh
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:34 pm
Night Mistress says...

Hey Brittany,

Welcome to YWS.

If you even want to talk to someone, Feel free to pm me.

see ya around.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:33 am
WaterVyper says...

Hello Brittany! I'm Emily, or Vyper, or whatever you want to call me. Anyway, it's great to meet you. LaReina, Winter, and Rosey have just about explained everything... Wait. Rosey's missing a color. There's also orange, which is for the distinguished members of the site. Anyway, that's all. *sigh* I hate being late, in real life, and here as well.

So, feel free to PM me if you have a question, need a review, or just want to chat. I'll be available. See ya around!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

'Tis the season to shovel enormous amounts of watermelon into your mouth while hunched over the cutting board like a dehydrated vampire that hasn't fed on blood in four hundred years and the only viable substitute is this questionable Christmas-colored fruit.
— Ari11