z

Young Writers Society

Just Joined

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:35 pm
blue_Jazzie says...

hello everyone,
I'm an 18 year old girl who has been writing since she was 8. I only recently joined but I'm just looking to make some more writer friends (you can never have too many). I'm always up for critiquing a piece of work, I'm honest, but I promise I'll be nice. :D. I go by blue or Jazz, take your pick. :)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:42 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

It's great that you want to critique! It's doubly-great because of main rule 1 on YWS: Review two works before posting any of your own. This is sometimes referred to as the 2:1 ratio, and it's asked that you keep said ratio at all times.

Another main rule we have is minimizing chat-speak. Some abbreviations and alliteration are okay, just don't overdo it.

Since you were eight? Wow. What's your genre of choice?

Some more questions:

Who are your favourite authors?
What are your favourite books?

Methinks I will call you Jazz, seeing as "blue" might be confused with "blues." The blues are the Greeters of YWS. We make sure new members feel welcome. ^_^ If you'll look at my username, you'll see I am one of said blues.

If you need anything, feel free to PM me.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

208 Reviews

Reviews: 208
Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:24 pm
Merry_Haven says...

*Jazz~

First off, is your avatar from Flyleaf or Shiny Toy Guns? I was just wondering.

Well, Rosey went over the rules, so I won't repeat.

Anywho, tell us a little about yourself. Favorite hobbies? (besides writing) Favorite movies/tv? Music? Etc...

Wow, you have been writing for ten years?! That's incredible. I've only been writing for a year. Knowing you have been writing for that long, what do you like to write? Or are you an all around type of person? I write mostly historical romances. Gotta love them!

Yeah!! Another 18 yr. old. So are you a senior or in college, now? I'm a senior doing virtual schooling.

Well, if you need anything just shoot me a PM. See you around!

*Merry
Mary had a little lamb. Little lamb. Little lamb!

Ugh!! I really hate my name. >.<

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:28 pm
cheese9975 says...

Hey, Jazz! If you like writing and critiquing you'll fit in perfectly! Just stick to those rules Rosey laid out and we'll love you forever. Is that flyleaf in your avatar? I love them! I actually only have that one song, All Around Me, but I want to buy the rest of the CD as soon as I get some monayy. What kind of writing do you usually do?

xoxo,
Shannon
"The manatee has become the mento." -Tracy Jordan

"Live every week like it's shark week." -Tracy Jordan
^30 Rock is love

6 Reviews

Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:33 pm
blue_Jazzie says...

Hi Rosey Unicorn, Merry_Haven, and salsashanno,

What's your genre of choice? When I first started writing, at 8, I would co-write fantasy stories with one of my good friends. :lol: These days I stick to Fiction, some supernatural, some Sc-Fi, some romance, some action/adventure, some thriller.... a little bit of everything. :)

As far as authors and books go, I read a lot (being a writer and all :P) so I'll just list a few:
SPEAK by Laurie Halse Anderson
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Jars of Glass by Brad Barkley and Heather Hepler
Augusta Gone by Martha Todd Dudman
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

and of course, I read and liked both the Harry Potter series and Twilight

also my Avatar is from Flyleaf. Whoever guessed it right just got brownie points in my book. I absoutly LOVE that band. It's from their video "All Around Me".

I like a lot of rock and alternative bands. Flyleaf, Breaking Benjamin, P.O.D, Chevelle, Fireflight, Skillet, Iron and Wine, Nickelback, Egypt Central, Three Days Grace.....

I watch a lot of One Tree Hill, other then that I'm not a big TV junkie. :)

Movies: The Notebook, SPEAK, The Secret Life of Bees, Titanic, Man on Fire, I am Sam.

1272 Reviews

Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:48 pm
Rosendorn says...

Interesting. What got me into writing was co-writing a fantasy with my friend!

Hmm, none of those genres are ones I'm big fans of.

Oh, I've heard of the glass castle! It's a memoir, right? I think the author was on Women On Top.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

6 Reviews

Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:56 pm
blue_Jazzie says...

Yes, Rosey Unicorn, Glass Castle is a memoir written about a woman who grew up living in extreme poverty. I don't read a lot of memoirs, but I'd recommend it to anyone.
:D

What about you? (and this is open to anyone who feel like answering. haha) What types of genres do you like to write?

What are your favorite books/authors, bands, tv shows?

1272 Reviews

Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:11 pm
Rosendorn says...

Books- Eragon, anything by Tamora Pierce, The Swan Kingdom
Authors- Christopher Paolini, Tamora Pierce, Zoe Merriot
Genre (Written)- Fantasy, a very small amount of realistic fiction
Genre (reading)- Historical, fantasy, history, science (no sci-fi, but, actual science)
Singers (I don't listen to groups)- Josh Groban
TV shows- Mythbusters, Holmes on Homes, Just for Laughs.

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:15 pm
Night Mistress says...

Hey Jazz,

Welcome to YWS

You are like me. I write a bit of everything too.

And I love Flyleaf too. I have one of their song in my story, Poison Love. It's currently be edited but you can look at the old chapter. The new story is called Addicting Poison.

Well, pm me if you need anything, including friendship.

See ya around.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

208 Reviews

Reviews: 208
Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:20 pm
Merry_Haven says...

Writing Genres~
*Historical Fiction with romance. aka: historical romances
-Georgian (I'm planning to do)
-Regency (Doing)
-Victorian (Doing)
-Edwardian (I'm planning to do)

Books/Authors~
The Luxes; Anna Godbersen (historical)
Science Fiction:
-Marianne Curley's Trilogy
-Lesley Livingston's Wondrous Strange
Fantasy:
Princess of the Midnight Ball
Others:
Deadly Little Secret
(These are the ones I'm currently reading)
Classics, too!!

TV~
Fringe!!

Bands~
*Secret Handshake, Family Force 5, FTSK, Mayday Parade, All American Rejects (those type of bands)
*Michael Buble, Harry Connick Jr, Chris Botti, Josh Groban (jazzy-type)
*DJ Tiesto, Cascada, iio, Kylie Minogue, Daft Punk (trancy)

*Merry
Mary had a little lamb. Little lamb. Little lamb!

Ugh!! I really hate my name. >.<

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:48 am
AuthorByInstinct says...

~Jazz~ AND EVERYONE!

Hey...I am Lolly! I love to write YA and Romance. I am currently writing a book called Sunset Promise.
It is a little complicated to explain in a few sentences but it has action, romance, and a little horror all in one. You can read it by going to www.geocities.com/AuthorByInstinct and linking to my myspace OR you can just go to my myspace at www.myspace.com/AuthorByInstinct. Simple, right? What are some stories you have written? I LOVE to review others' stories. Email me at NearlySecret123@aol.com and send me some of your stories! I hope to be a professional writer one day! I am fourteen but I am trying to promote my book on my own. My Myspace has only a few chapters of it so anyone will have to email me to get more. ANYONE SEND ME YOUR STORIES! I LOVE CRITIQUING!

Your new friend,
Lolly

(a.k.a Lauren Nicole)

~tWiLiGhT rOcKs~

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:57 am
WaterVyper says...

Hey Jazz! *pouts* I'm late. Ah well, welcome to YWS! Everyone already asked what I wanted to ask, so I'll just go ahead and answer the questions.

Genres: Mostly other fiction, though I'm working on fantasy, sci-fi, and non-fiction. Historical fiction isn't that bad either. With historical fiction, I mostly like writing about the ancienct civilizations. You know, Aztecs, Mayans, Incans, Greeks, Egyptians, etcetera.

Books: Please, don't get me started. First of all, there's anything Darren Shan or Matthew Reilly. Then, Cornelia Funke, Eoin Colfer, and Kenneth Oppel. Next, I'd say any short story collection that is either horror, or romance. The weird part is that I like to read romance, but I can't write it to save my life.

TV shows: Hm, CSI. I like Miami and NY. The original one isn't really that... compelling. And Mythbusters, Time Warp, Mad Labs, Smash Labs, those kind of shows.

Movies: I'm not that much of a movies person. So far, I'd have to say Indonesian movies rock. Denias Senandung di Atas Awan is good. For English movies, I don't really have any. I'm waiting for Inkheart and Cirque du Freak though.

Singers/Bands: I like Josh Groban, Simple Plan, and Ikimono Gakari.

Well, that's it about me. Hm, have you heard about user groups? They're groups made by users (obviously) that are tailored for specific interests. We have a horror writing group, a debate group, and lots more. Click on the big 'Groups' button up there to find them. You'll find one you like eventually. And if you don't, you can start your own!

Hm, that's it. Feel free to PM me if you need a review, have a question, or just want to talk. I'll be available. See ya around!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:07 am
RGallagher says...

*poke in eye*
Hey Blueeee. Welcome to YWS! Just felt like I should come say hi even though you're ignoring my #nano message. =[ You dork. I <3 you anyways. Cya in #nano! [spoiler]dork[/spoiler]
RG Prompts! New prompts posted daily!
http://rgprompts.blogspot.com/

Need a critique? Post here!
topic42126.html

Random avatar

Reviews: 13
Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:34 pm
LydiaB says...

Hey blue~
looks like everyone already beat me here... but I just wanted to welcome you here anyway! I hope you like it here and I can't wait to see some of your work!
-Lydia
Is Pat Buchanan the answer to everything in your life? If so, put "Pat Buchanan" in your signature.

If you're looking for a good fantasy story in need of help...
Purple Magic
:D

“Christmas won’t be Christmas without any presents!”
— Little Women