z

Young Writers Society

Greetings! XD

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:35 pm
ohemgigi says...

Well, my bud Kat suggested that I start up a thread and introduce myself, since I'm new to this site.
So, here it is!!
YO!
I'm Giaunna.
Call me GiGi.
I'm 14 (almost 15) years of age.
I'm weird.
Aaand...
Anything you think I should know about this place or anything you want to know about me, just go right ahead and type it!

Thanks much!
<3GiGi

=]]
I <3...
Disney. The Jonas Brothers. Zac Efron. Barack Obama. To Smile. To Laugh. Peace. Music. Life.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:55 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

While on YWS please keep in mind two rules:

1- Review two works before posting any of your own. That make sure everybody gets a review. Plus, people are much more willing to look at your stuff if you've looked at theirs. :wink: It's asked you always keep that 2:1 ratio.
2- Minimize chat-speak. That means proper grammar, spelling and caps. Some abbreviations and alliteration are okay, just don't overdo it.

Tell us a little more about yourself! Any favourite books? Authors? Genres? What genres do you write?

I'm a fantasy writer, but I'll look at poetry, historical fiction and realistic fiction. My favourite authors are Tamora Pierce, Christopher Paolini and Zoe Merriott.

I'm sure more people with questions and tip will follow, so I'll leave it there.

If you need anything, feel free to PM me.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

6 Reviews

Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:07 pm
ohemgigi says...

Rosey Unicorn wrote:Hiya and welcome!

While on YWS please keep in mind two rules:

1- Review two works before posting any of your own. That make sure everybody gets a review. Plus, people are much more willing to look at your stuff if you've looked at theirs. :wink: It's asked you always keep that 2:1 ratio.
2- Minimize chat-speak. That means proper grammar, spelling and caps. Some abbreviations and alliteration are okay, just don't overdo it.

Tell us a little more about yourself! Any favourite books? Authors? Genres? What genres do you write?

I'm a fantasy writer, but I'll look at poetry, historical fiction and realistic fiction. My favourite authors are Tamora Pierce, Christopher Paolini and Zoe Merriott.

I'm sure more people with questions and tip will follow, so I'll leave it there.

If you need anything, feel free to PM me.

Lol, thanks much.
(Minimizing chat speak? That'll be tough.)
And, I'd have to say my favorite genre is realistic fiction.
That's also what I often write.
I also like fantasy and sometimes write that.
Really, I guess I'll read (and ATTEMPT to write) anything.

Nonfiction's kinda hard for me to get into, though...
Lol.
I <3...
Disney. The Jonas Brothers. Zac Efron. Barack Obama. To Smile. To Laugh. Peace. Music. Life.

1272 Reviews

Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:13 pm
Rosendorn says...

If you're worried about "lol" you shouldn't. What we're talking about mostly is turning "u" into "you," "kk" into "okay," ect. Phrase abbreviations like POV (point of view), MC (main character) and the like are perfectly fine.

Even poetry? I dabble in that genre sometimes.

Any favourite authors in particular?

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

6 Reviews

Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:30 pm
ohemgigi says...

Rosey Unicorn wrote:If you're worried about "lol" you shouldn't. What we're talking about mostly is turning "u" into "you," "kk" into "okay," ect. Phrase abbreviations like POV (point of view), MC (main character) and the like are perfectly fine.

Even poetry? I dabble in that genre sometimes.

Any favourite authors in particular?

Haha, yeah.
"U" shouldn't much of a problem.
But "kk" might.
I'll do my best.
XD

I don't really have many favorite authors in particular.
J.K. Rowling and Shel Silverstein are good though.
I've been reading their books since I was little.

And, yes, I write poetry.
Not often.
But, sometimes.
Mostly, I write lyrics for the music running randomly through my head.
Just for me, though.
Like, to vent.
And to have something extra to sing in the shower.
XD

But, yeah, a lot of my stuff never gets read.
It never feels right to me.
So I just think of something new to write.
=]
I <3...

1272 Reviews

Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:38 pm
Rosendorn says...

Shel Silverstean? Never heard of her. What genre does she write?

It can be argued that lyrics are poetry. Some lyrics anyway. Like February Song by Josh Groban (written, sung, played and composed by him) is really poetic with a lot of hidden meaning.

Yeah.... for the next month or so I'm going to be talking a lot about poetry. I need to write a paper on it. Fun stuff.

Poetry is what I turn to when I want to vent, or try to capture an emotion. There's something about putting words to a beat that get rid of all anxiety over an issue.

Ever heard that artists never finish their work, they abandon them? I think Vincent Van Gogh said that. Well, usually work never feels right. It just feels as right as much as it can at the time of completion. So, when you get something that you at least half-like, post it and see what happens. You never know....

6 Reviews

Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:52 pm
ohemgigi says...

Rosey Unicorn wrote:Shel Silverstean? Never heard of her. What genre does she write?

It can be argued that lyrics are poetry. Some lyrics anyway. Like February Song by Josh Groban (written, sung, played and composed by him) is really poetic with a lot of hidden meaning.

Yeah.... for the next month or so I'm going to be talking a lot about poetry. I need to write a paper on it. Fun stuff.

Poetry is what I turn to when I want to vent, or try to capture an emotion. There's something about putting words to a beat that get rid of all anxiety over an issue.

Ever heard that artists never finish their work, they abandon them? I think Vincent Van Gogh said that. Well, usually work never feels right. It just feels as right as much as it can at the time of completion. So, when you get something that you at least half-like, post it and see what happens. You never know....

Well, yeah, I suppose that's true.
=]

Lol, and Shel Silverstein is a dude.
Well, was.
I actually think he's dead now...
=[
But he wrote poetry.
For, like, little kids.
But, I always thought the poems were funny.
Still do.
Several years ago, my dad went to a bookstore.
He came home and gave my sister and me the books he'd bought.
He dropped 'Where The Sidewalk Ends' in front of me and I picked it up and thought it was the best thing ever. It was one of those hardback books, with the nice removable plastic-y cover. And Shel's signature was on the front and I was chewing gum and-plop- it fell on the signature. Some of the signature came off when I took the gum off, lol. That was the first destructive thing that happened to that poor book. That book is now in HORRIBLE condition. Almost all of the pages have fallen out, the nice removable plastic-y cover is long, long gone, and, well, the book is basically destroyed.
But, I do believe I still have all of the pages crammed up in there. And it's still readable.
It's just, for the most part, dead.
Lol.
WOW, I didn't realize how much I'd rambled. Haha, sorry about that.
Guess I got lost in a memory.
XD

But, anywho, you should check out some of his work. Although I can't see anyone liking it if they're a serious person.
Because his poems are pretty silly, some say stupid.
At least, all the poems I'VE read by him are.
But, hey, guess that's why I love them so much;
=]
I <3...

1272 Reviews

Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:07 pm
Rosendorn says...

I come up with some of the worst puns ever. Like when my mom said her sock had a hole in it, all I could think was: we should call a church. We have a holy sock.

Yep. I come up with that stuff a lot. I have a hard time believing I just said that, actually. :oops:

Rambling is perfectly fine here! You'll notice a lot of rants/rambles poking around. Especially the blogs. Those have the most.

Hmm, I need to come up with more poetry to look at. Maybe I'll look him up. I don't know if I'll need it though. One of the "poems" I'm using is The Merchant of Venice. I studied it a few years ago and still have the notes. It's poetry....

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:29 pm
thefireinmeisJC says...

*squeezes her way in the conversation*

Hey, Gigi! Wassup? I'm JC, its nice to meet you : - ) Rosey i guess already asked all the basics...

But anyway. Yes Yes Yes. Rambling is wonderful and I personally encourage it.

Rosey----> Read Shel Silverstein! Quick before its too late!

Poetry is interesting to me. I frequently find myself making emo peoms out of the blue though. Well, I guess not emo like some other people's on here but dark poems. Then again, a lot of my "regular" writing deals with abused teens, suicide, a new idea of mine involves drugs, orphans/foster homes....the whole chibang.

The weird thing is that I have no personal "experience" with any of them...

Just so you know (not like you actually care lol but I thought I might include some since Rosey asked) but my favorite authors include Caroline B. Cooney, Erin Hunter, Marcus Zusak, the ancient prophets (gotta add the Bible!) and some others whose names escape me. I'm 14 too though I don't turn 15 'til October...

Oh yeah, take me as an example. I'm always getting new ideas and if you see a story of mine that's pass Chapter 10, its a miracle. Seriously. So, just post stuff even if you don't think its complete or good. Besides many many people on here are more than happy to help you! We're all friendly.

See you around!,
JC

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions are if you want to talk etc. That's cool too. :D
Give hugs not bombs or whatever that saying says

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:25 pm
Night Mistress says...

Hey,

Welcome to YWS.

I am a variety writer. I write a bit of everything. Except poetry.

Well pm me if you need anything.

See ya around.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

6 Reviews

Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:27 am
ohemgigi says...

Rosey Unicorn wrote:I come up with some of the worst puns ever. Like when my mom said her sock had a hole in it, all I could think was: we should call a church. We have a holy sock.

Yep. I come up with that stuff a lot. I have a hard time believing I just said that, actually. :oops:

Rambling is perfectly fine here! You'll notice a lot of rants/rambles poking around. Especially the blogs. Those have the most.

Hmm, I need to come up with more poetry to look at. Maybe I'll look him up. I don't know if I'll need it though. One of the "poems" I'm using is The Merchant of Venice. I studied it a few years ago and still have the notes. It's poetry....

Lol, holy sock.
I do that TONS.

The Merchant of Venice, eh?
Sounds... interesting.
=] I'll have to check it out.
<33
I <3...

1272 Reviews

Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:28 am
Rosendorn says...

It's Shakespeare. I should mention that.

It's pretty good if you can understand the English. Or get a translated copy. I'm a blend of both.

6 Reviews

Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:33 am
ohemgigi says...

thefireinmeisJC wrote:*squeezes her way in the conversation*

Hey, Gigi! Wassup? I'm JC, its nice to meet you : - ) Rosey i guess already asked all the basics...

But anyway. Yes Yes Yes. Rambling is wonderful and I personally encourage it.

Rosey----> Read Shel Silverstein! Quick before its too late!

Poetry is interesting to me. I frequently find myself making emo peoms out of the blue though. Well, I guess not emo like some other people's on here but dark poems. Then again, a lot of my "regular" writing deals with abused teens, suicide, a new idea of mine involves drugs, orphans/foster homes....the whole chibang.

The weird thing is that I have no personal "experience" with any of them...

Just so you know (not like you actually care lol but I thought I might include some since Rosey asked) but my favorite authors include Caroline B. Cooney, Erin Hunter, Marcus Zusak, the ancient prophets (gotta add the Bible!) and some others whose names escape me. I'm 14 too though I don't turn 15 'til October...

Oh yeah, take me as an example. I'm always getting new ideas and if you see a story of mine that's pass Chapter 10, its a miracle. Seriously. So, just post stuff even if you don't think its complete or good. Besides many many people on here are more than happy to help you! We're all friendly.

See you around!,
JC

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions are if you want to talk etc. That's cool too. :D

Oh, I've written about that, I guess, 'dramatic' stuff too.
And I've never experienced anything close to it.
It just seems interesting to write about.
And I guess sometimes, it's more fun to write about something you've never experienced.
Or even know much about.
Well, that's how it is for me, at least.
Lol =]

And, of course I care what your favorite authors are, lol, that means more peeps to look up!
And I've never heard of ANY of those authors, so I'll be having fun next time I go to the library.
=D

Thanks for all your helpfulness. And niceness! Haha.

<33GiGi
I <3...

6 Reviews

Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:38 am
ohemgigi says...

Rosey Unicorn wrote:It's Shakespeare. I should mention that.

It's pretty good if you can understand the English. Or get a translated copy. I'm a blend of both.

Shakespeare, huh?
Yikes.
Lol, I'll give it a shot.

Last year, in English, we went over Edgar Allen Poe poems.
We had to go over each line, and, like, discuss them, one by one as a class, because, hey, not many 8th graders easily understand that stuff.

So, I'll just go line by line with Shakespeare. =]
I'll get it eventually; I'm not good at that many things, but I can read and comprehend higher level things pretty well.

Lol, my parents kinda did that. They taught me how to read at freaking 18 months...!!
How? Not sure, but something clicked, and I'm pretty good when it comes to reading. =]
I <3...

6 Reviews

Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:39 am
ohemgigi says...

Night Mistress wrote:Hey,

Welcome to YWS.

I am a variety writer. I write a bit of everything. Except poetry.

Well pm me if you need anything.

See ya around.

Thanks much!
Appreciate it!
=]
I <3...

We are all broken. That's how the light gets in.
— Ernest Hemingway