z

Young Writers Society

Hola!/Tag./Ni hao!/Bonjour./Um, hey. :]

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:45 am
How2EataRhesus says...

Hiiii.

In this username's case, I'm called Rhesus, which is actually a type of monkey. :) Both my username and signature are inside jokes from mental_floss magazine, which, as you can see, I love. (I also like Writer's Yearbook, which is how I found you guys in the first place. :wink: )

I mostly write fantasy short fiction, but I do write some historical, mystery, etc., too. Mostly I read the same thing. My favorite books are The Green Mile, Flowers for Algernon, and (forgive me, chick lit haters!) Pride and Prejudice. And admittedly my favorite short story is "How to Write a Blackwood Article" by Poe. (Who said he wasn't a funny guy? :) )

Also, I really, REALLY want to go to the Alabama School of Fine Arts (http://www.asfa.k12.al.us/index.cfm?event=home). I'm applying next year....Guess which specialty? :P

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to being part of the YWS community. Thank you, and good night. :]
'Nobody has ever measured, not even poets, how much the heart can hold.' - Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:48 am
Night Mistress says...

Hi and Welcome to YWS

here are the two main rules here:

1- Review two works before posting any of your own. That way, everybody gets a review. Plus, people are much more willing to look at your stuff if you've looked at theirs.
2- Minimize chat-speak. That means proper grammar, spelling and caps. Some abbreviations and alliteration are okay though, just don't overdo it.

A lot of writers here write in the fantasy genre. I do.

Feel free to pm me if you need anything.

See ya around.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

1333 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1333
Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:53 am
Hannah says...

^_^ Welcome, Rhesus. I'm a newbie like yourself, so I can't provide guidance so much as simply a warm welcome! ^_^

Flowers for Algernon is a delightful work. Well... I think I remember it being a delightful work! Actually, I only think I read part of it in 8th grade literature. Haha. I /do/ love Pride and Prejudice though! ^_^ Have you read Jane Eyre? I suppose it's of the same vein, but I'm reading Jane Eyre right now. Also, I must mention that I don't think I actually finished Pride and Prejudice... I found my book mark in it about 3/4 of the way through! Shameful, I know, but I do remember my favorite part! ^_^

Do you recall the part where Bingley's sister and Lizzie 'take a turn' around the parlor {or whatever room they're in} and the sister {why can't I remember her name?} asks Darcy if he'd like to join him. Then he gives the most lovely smart-aleck remark about either they're in confidence, in which case he would not want to spoil there conversation, or else they're trying to show off their figures, in which case he'd better admire them from where he's sitting. Haha~ It made me laugh out loud while I was reading. The movie makes me extremely happy too.

Anyways, welcome! ^_^

208 Reviews

Reviews: 208
Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:02 am
Merry_Haven says...

*Rhesus~

Hello. Welcome to the crazy site for young writers. :smt003 ~ Yes, we are crazy at times.

So you say you write historical fiction. Me, too!! Which time period are you most fascinated about? I love the late 18th century (around 1780's-1799), the Regency era (1812-1830. Or maybe earlier than that) & The Victorian Era (I think it's 1830 or 40-ish to 1899) Isn't it loads of fun writing and studying history?

Let's see...I'm reading the Luxe series, I'm getting into Georgette Heyer, Jane Austen and the classics!! And some good YA novels. I do read action and adventure novels. Like Airborn by Kenneth Oppel. And I'm getting into fantasy novels, also. Oh, and some mysteries. Like Deadly Little Secrets.

Oh, don't worry, I'm not a chick lit hater. But, I hope I don't offend. I don't like Pride & Prejudice. I'm more into Sense and Sensibility and Northanger Abbey. Have you seen the film adaptations?

Well, if you ever wanna chat, feel free to do so.

*Merry
Mary had a little lamb. Little lamb. Little lamb!

Ugh!! I really hate my name. >.<

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:16 am
How2EataRhesus says...

Hannah - No, haven't read Jane Eyre yet, but I'll try it as soon as I can possibly locate it in a library. :]
That tidbit courtesy of Mr. Darcy was hilarious, yeah. As I was reading it my friends told me that I started turning red :D

Merry - I love-love-love Regency. Regency-era fiction (like Austen) was what got me interested in it. :] I want to study history in university, with an emphasis on that period, actually. And it was about 1811-1820...I think. :P
I've seen a little of Emma, but other than that I haven't watched any Austen adaptations.

Thanks everyone for the welcomes. :)
'Nobody has ever measured, not even poets, how much the heart can hold.' - Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:31 am
Rosendorn says...

Ohh, historical fiction is something I enjoy reading. If you need a review, let me know!

Hiya and welcome to YWS!

Unfortunately, my reading is severely lacking in classics. I haven't read any of those.

If you need anything, feel free to PM me.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1333 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1333
Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:32 am
Hannah says...

Hannah - No, haven't read Jane Eyre yet, but I'll try it as soon as I can possibly locate it in a library. :]
That tidbit courtesy of Mr. Darcy was hilarious, yeah. As I was reading it my friends told me that I started turning red Very Happy

Haha~ He has that effect on many readers, I'm sure. Also, there are many cheap editions of Jane Eyre to buy for yourself. The one I bought cost only about two fifty if I remember correctly, so I'm certain it'd be very cheap to buy and own! ^_^
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

"You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it."
— We Bought A Zoo