z

Young Writers Society

'Ello!

Reviews: 4
Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:15 am
View Likes
Lunatical says...

Hi all!

My name's Sara, but I guess I'll go by Luna round these parts (or any variation of my screen name, really). This place looks very cool and I figured I might be more motivated to get on with what I've been meaning to write if I was a member. I live for the process of creating the story, but I have a love/hate relationship with the actual writing, so maybe I'll be able to fix that here. I'm a bit clueless about how things work around here, so if there's anything you guys think I should know some pointers would be great.

208 Reviews

Reviews: 208
Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:47 am
Merry_Haven says...

*Sara~

Hello. Welcome to the crazy site for young writers. I hope you have loads of fun here! :D

We have two main rules here, that are to be followed...
1) no chat-speak, please. No one likes it. It's just too hard to understand.
2) We here, have a rule of reviewing and posting. Simple; 2:1 ratio. 2 reviews ~ 1 post of yours.

Anyway, you didn't really tell us any interests or favorites you have. Just your goal for this site.

Favorite...
*movies/tv
*genre of music
*books/authors
*writing style
*color
*food/candy
*sunsets/sunrises
*etc...

I bet there's a bunch more. :wink: Anyway, if you need anything feel free to PM me. See you around!

*Merry
Mary had a little lamb. Little lamb. Little lamb!

Ugh!! I really hate my name. >.<

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:38 am
Meshugenah says...

Hi, Luna! I hear you on the love/hate part of writing. I still hate it, half the time, and then other times I look at what I've written and think, "Hey, this isn't that bad!" It's getting it to work with how I envisioned everything that's the trick, and yeah. Still working on that, but it's fun! Speaking of! What do you write?

Do you have any specific questions on how YWS works? I think I've been here too long -- I don't know what would be the most confusing/obvious thing to point out! So if you think of anything, or want to chat, drop me a line! My PM box is always open!

Hope you enjoy the site!

Mesh
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

68 Reviews

Reviews: 68
Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:20 am
sofi says...

Hi there Luna!

Welcome! :D You know one of the things I love about being a greeter is that it's so nice to keep meeting people who have the same interest in writing. It's always nice to have a new addition!

Well this place is really quite easy to get around once you know it so just take some time to really browse through everything and see what interests you! Remember to critique at least two other works before posting your own. It's just a fair way of making sure people are reviewing other's work and not just posting their own.

Anyway I hope you like it here! PM me with any questions or if you want a critique or anything like that.

See you around I hope!

Sofi.
'Don't you just love these long rainy afternoons in New Orleans when an hour isn't just an hour but a little bit of Eternity dropped into your hands- and who knows what to do with it?'
T.W.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:40 am
WaterVyper says...

Hello Sara! Unless you prefer being called Luna, so hello Luna! Welcome to YWS! We have a great community here, so don't be afraid to ask questions. The site isn't that difficult to get a hold of, so I wouldn't worry about that. Besides writing, do you have any preferences in movies, music, or games?

Speaking of that, there's a community for almost every interest here. Just clicky on the giant 'Groups' button up there, and you'll find one you like. It's a great way to make friends who share your specific interests. Anyway, nice to meet you, and I hope to see you around. Bye!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:28 pm
LilyJamey says...

Heya, Luna, the Lunatic! The site users are pretty loony - don't get frightened if we suddenly talk rubbish. We even have a forum for it, called Randomness.

I'm Lily. Not to be confused with lilymoore, another Lily. In case you're wondering about the coloured names, blues are greeters, purps are instructors, light greens are junior mods, dark greens are senior mods, reds are admins, and orange
distinguished members.

So, what genre do you write? Call on me for reviews if its not poetry, kay? PM me if you need anything.

Cheers,
Lily.
Got YWS?

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:53 pm
*singerofthenight* says...

Oh Oh Oh Oh *points at Sara*

NEWBE!!!!! Hiya!

I'm Jennie and I'll be your wonderful host as I take you through a Journey of what we call Young Writers Society!

Here there are only a few rules....which I'm sure you've heard but no the less I shall tell you:

1. 2:1 Ratio....2 reviews for 1 post of your own.

2. No chat-speak.....everybody hates it....but I believe you are aloud to use it in Private Messaging.

3. Most important rule....HAVE FUN!!!!

Seriously....hahaha

~singer.
"Hello, is this thing on?"

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:06 pm
Meep(: says...

Well...
Once again...
I am too slow...
So everyone has explained the rules...
*sigh*

Anyhoo, welcome to the YWS family, where no one is a loser (because I said so) :D
I'm Meep, a Greeter, otherwise known as a Bluey!
As implied in my cyan coloured name.
(Some people say it's teal coloured but I say cyan!)
Haha, I totally get what you mean.
I love the ideas that I get and I'm always excited to write them out.
But after a while...sometimes I find it a chore :x
But on the whole, writing is an excellent pastime for me.
I hope it will be for you too! :D

So tell us more about yourself, namely your likes and dislikes.
What genres do you like to read and write about?

Oh, also, feel free to PM anytime, anywhere, for absolutely anything :D
That includes pointless babble.
But more importantly, for questions, reviews and friendship :D

Well, I'll see you around the forums then!
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:02 pm
Kakali says...

Hola, Luna! Welcome to YWS. As meep said, everyone ha already told you the rules. What exactly were you planning to write, the genre. I am writing Historical fiction right now. I hope eeryone is nice to you. (not saying that anyone will be mean.) So thats my breif "Hello". Oh, and tell us a bit about yourself while your at it!
LONG LIVE LOVE

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:53 pm
thefireinmeisJC says...

Wassup Moon? Haha you said any variation of your nickname and luna should mean moon....so yeah. :wink:

Anyway, HI! I'm JC (ok yeah in my username it stands for Jesus Christ but everyone seems to call me JC but of course you can call me pickle if you want. I don't care)

Right...back to saying hello.

Everyone said the rules...Merry_Haven asked about your favorites...erg everyone took everything.

So I'm going to have to think of something unique. Eureka! Merry_Haven didn't ask what you wanted to be when you grow up. So I'll ask that:

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Well, I guess that's it from me! Don't be afraid when you find yourself on YWS for hours on end. Its normal.

See ya! Feel free to PM (private message) me at anytime with q's or if you just want to say hi. I love it when people say hi to me. It doesn't happen that often in the real world. :wink:
Give hugs not bombs or whatever that saying says

Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:18 pm
Lunatical says...

Wow so many replies, you guys are awesome! :D

I love the no chatspeak rule, that stuff can get very irritating. And it's nice that everybody gets their work reviewed. Er, okay lotsa questions to answer.

Favorite stuffs:

Movies - Ugh, there are a ton of them. I love watching movies. My favorites this year (or last year I guess, though it feels so weird to say that) were Milk, Wall-E, and The Dark Knight.
TV - I really like The Daily Show, The Office, Project Runway, and House. And the Discovery Channel, I watch a lot.
Music - My favorite music changes a lot. I love Modest Mouse and MGMT right now. The Beatles are great too.
Books - Everything, literally; I'm such a bookworm. I don't really have a favorite genre, it just depends on the book. One of my favorite authors is Philip Pullman. I met him at a book signing last summer and I just about had a heart attack. XD
Color - Purple!
Food - Umm.... chocolate. Lots and lots of chocolate. Not dark chocolate though, that stuff's icky. I like most Japanese food too, but I have a slight fear of sushi that I'm trying to get over. Something about raw fish just creeps me out a little.

What do I write? Hmm, I guess you'd call it realistic fantasy. I've failed miserably at several previous attepts at writing full-length books, so at the moment I have a much less ambitious idea in mind. It might just end up being a short story, I really don't know. I haven't figured out the details of it or anything, all I've got so far is that it's about this guy and his neice who are living in New Orleans when all this crazy stuff starts happening (dunno what that is yet), so they end up having to travel in a general northward direction to try and get away from it. I really have no idea where it's going but I like it better than the other stuff I've tried to write.

Oh yeah, and to answer JC's question, I actually really want to be an actress when I get older. And if that doesn't work out I want to be a photographer.

Well now that I've talked you all to death, any other questions?

P.S. - I totally agree with you Meep, your name is definitely not teal.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:45 pm
Rosendorn says...

You would be referring to the group known as the blues! We're the Greeters of the site. It's our job to make you feel welcome.

Whoa, I am late.

If you watch Discovery, have you seen Mythbusters?

Realistic fantasy. I'm a fantasy writer myself.

If you're having any plot troubles, check out Writing Tips or Writer's Corner. They're great resources.

If you need anything, feel free to PM me.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:31 am
Night Mistress says...

Hey.

I watch Discovery channel too. I watch How it's Made and Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe.

My favorite color is purple too. I also like Blue and Black.

I write fantasy as well, but i am not really good at it because I am just starting my fantasy story.

I am a bookworm too. A bunch of people are bookworm here too, so you should have no trouble fitting in.

well, if you need anything, feel free to pm me.

See ya around.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:41 am
Lunatical says...

*pounces on fellow Mythbusters fan* I love those guys! What's your favorite episode?

I also had a question about the signature thingymajigers at the end of posts. There's a quote I'd like to put in mine that has the word f***ing in it, but it's not used in a really vulgar way, and I was wondering if that's not allowed or anything. Is it alright to just censor it or should I use a replacement word like effing or just find another quote? I don't want to offend anybody.

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:23 am
Meep(: says...

To those out there who are very familiar with the rules, slap and correct me if I'm wrong,
But as long as the F-word appears in your story,
It automatically gets an 'R' rating for...strong language.
:D
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.
— Eric Hoffer