z

Young Writers Society

Hi!

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:52 pm
attackedbyleaves says...

Hey, guys! I'm new here, hence my posting in this shiny welcome forum. :P

My name's Heather, and I'm super excited about getting reviews from other writers on the stuff I write. So, yeah. Your turn. =]

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:54 pm
Night Mistress says...

Hiya and welcome to YWS!

Two rules you should know:

1- Review two works before posting any of your own. It helps make sure everybody gets a review. It's asked you always keep that 2:1 ratio.
2- Cut the chat-speak. That means proper grammar, spelling and caps. Some abbreviations and all alliteration is okay, just don't overdo it.

Tell us a bit more about yourself

so what are you planing on write while you are here?

What is your favorite book and who is your favorite author?

and do you have any other hobbies?

Well, if you need anything, including friendship, pm me.

see ya around and i look forward to reading your work.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

7 Reviews

Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:29 am
attackedbyleaves says...

Well, I'm a junior in high school, and the stress is pretty much killing me. I think being able to write for a living would be amazing, but I have no clue where I want to go to college, or even how necessary I think it really is. I want to go for the experience if nothing else.

I started out writing fantasy, but lately I've been jumping around in different genres. For the past few months I've been on this kick where I want to figure out ways supernatural beings could exist in the world and write about it. I usually write what I hope I'll write enough of to become novels, but I've been experimenting with scripts recently too. I love reading poetry and songs and trying to find the meaning behind them, even though I can never write them myself.

I think my favorite book would be A Clockwork Orange. I haven't seen the movie, but I adored the book. It got me to think about things I hadn't really thought about before, and it never lost my interest, and it was just good. I attribute the fact that I write now to Harry Potter, though. According to my parents, I've been coming up with little stories since elementary school, but in second grade I was put into a really crap program called Accelerated Reader, or AR. I don't know if any of you have been in it or know someone who has, but you basically get assigned a reading level based on how well you read comprehension-wise. You then have to read a certain number of books each year that are on the level assigned to you and take a test on them to show you read it and understood it.

The levels go by grades, but just because you're in a certain grade doesn't mean you get that number. So if you get one above your grade level, it's really hard to find books that interest you and still fulfill the AR requirements, and the teachers don't let you pick one below your level.

So after a few years of that, I ended up strongly disliking reading, and I didn't write anymore, and it wasn't until I read the first Harry Potter book that I started to like reading again and I started writing again. So there's my ramble about public schooling ruining good things.

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:40 am
Night Mistress says...

I know what you are talking about. i had that too.

so you are in junior high? your stress level probably don't compare to mine since i'm in college. i'm a freshman and i hardly have time to read or writing for pleasure.

well, i hope you feel at home here in YWS.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:01 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

You love A Clockwork Orange! You are officially amazing. No one at my school has heard of it. I love that book so much. ^_^
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

7 Reviews

Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:55 am
attackedbyleaves says...

No, I'm in high school. I'm in my junior year. But yeah, I'm sure college stress is tons worse. I have a friend in boarding school, and she never has free time. I've never been to college or a boarding school, but I imagine they're sort of similar.

And yes! It's an amazing book. Some kids here have heard of it, but I don't know anyone else who's read it. I don't know why people don't talk about it more. The message in it pertains to us now.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:57 am
POTAFan1973 says...

I've heard of A Clockword Orange and that's about it. The movie came out in either the 70s or the 80s I believe. Anyhow welcome. I believe in supernatural stuff. Love it. Got a lot of odd stories about my 'experiences' or I'm just nuts which is a HIGH possibilty. I'm rambling again ain't I?
One person's craziness is another person's reality
-Tim Burton

208 Reviews

Reviews: 208
Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:35 pm
Merry_Haven says...

*attackedbyleaves~

Hahahaha!!! I just love your name. So hilarious. :lol:

Anyway, welcome!!

Isn't your avatar Hellogoodbye? Love the band! :D

I have to say, my junior year (last year) was an okay year for me. It was the year I started Apex. Everything I did was online. And now? I just hate it. When the new semester starts I get to go to the school, and take creative writing. Fun!!!

Oh my goodness. :shock: I hated the other school I went too. My friend still goes there and she says the drama is killing her. All those fake tans and compact, layers of make up. You either went to that school full of crazy gossip or to my younger sister's school. The one she went to...everyone was on drugs. I'm serious. She tells me all these stories, and sometimes I find them hilarious. So I know how you feel.

I've tried fantasy, never succeeded. But I might go back to it. I like writing historical novels. But I'm always up for something new.

Oh my goodness! (again) I've heard of AR. I don't remember if I took it, maybe in middle school. Anyway, it was a pain.

Hey, I like harry Potter too! My whole family loves them, and my sisters and me grew up with the books. I can't wait for the sixth movie! (I've read all the books)

Well, it was great to know a little about you! See you around.

*Merry
Mary had a little lamb. Little lamb. Little lamb!

Ugh!! I really hate my name. >.<

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:53 pm
Snoink says...

HA! I was homeschooled for high school. Well... sort of. Actually, I was taking junior college classes at your age because my parents didn't know what to do with me. I kind of passed their knowledge of math a long time ago. XD

Anyway, welcome! Obviously, you want to become a biochemical engineering major and you want to go to UC Davis. Obviously. Because, you know, this major totally needs more creative people. There are too many math geeks here! XD

Also, I have heard about Clockwork Orange, but my ex liked it and he wanted me to see it and I didn't want to and then he became my ex and yeah... long story. XD But! If you like it, it can't be bad! :D

Anyway, I'm Snoink and, as you can guess, I'm kind of a math geek. More precisely, I became a math tutor at my college when I was 17, so I can do stuff pre-algebra to... well, I kind of have to review with linear algebra and differential equations, but still! So, if you have any math problems, then you can always come and ask me! I can also do English. In fact, a lot of people here are English tutors. So don't be stressed out for academic reasons for your junior year! Really, YWS is like this really bizarre family, and we help each other out. I've had people help me at three o'clock in the morning with my English essays, just because they love me. So yeah. Don't be afraid to ask for help. We don't like stressed people. ^^

Speaking of stressed people! I am a moderator of YWS (thus, I have a green name). This is means that I am here to help you whenever you become stressed out. You want a story locked because you think it's out-dated? Come to me! You're having a problem with a member because you gave that member a really thorough critique and now they hate you? Come to me! In fact... if you're having any problem whatsoever, YWS, or not, just bug me. We're all family here (in a really bizarre way, lol) and I'd be more than happy to add you as a little sister. XD
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:13 pm
Rosendorn says...

^ As you can tell from the two posts above me, we are totally wacky here, but in the best way possible!

A lot of people here are also fantasy experts. Any questions about fantasy are usually answered very quickly. Their are also a bunch of fantasy usergroups on here (found by clicking on the Groups button in the header) and they are very nice. Check out more groups while you're their; we have one for just about everything!

I don't personally know what highschool stress is like (homeschooled too) but I do know that all my friends have drifted away because of the workload in highschool. Homework Help is great if you need anything.

If you need anything, feel free to PM me! I'm a Greeter (hence the blue name) and it's our job to make you feel at home! Critiques are mostly done by purple names (Instructors), but you can ask almost anybody for those. Check out Will Review for Food for people to ask.
Last edited by Rosendorn on Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

7 Reviews

Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:48 am
attackedbyleaves says...

POTAFan: Yeah, I think it was the 70s or 80s. Maybe before then, I'm not sure.

Merry: Thank you! It's a reference to a video a guy named Spencer Bergen did on youtube. He acts, I think, so he just does funny little skits and put them on youtube, and in one he was seeing what it would be like to scream everything, so he was running around his neighborhood yelling things. "I'm getting attacked by leaves!" was one. XD

I thought it was funny, anyways. :P

Yes, it is Hellogoodbye. I love them too. I've never written a historical novel. I think I may have tried once, but I'm positive it never got much of anywhere if I did. Although, I've never gotten past a few chapters in anything I've done, except for that one horrendous, three page short story I wrote in sixth grade. I finished that. I think I'm distracted too easily.

Snoink: I pretty much fail at math. XD I love science though, which is odd considering the two have so much to do with each other.

Thanks for offering to help. I might take you up on it. :) I hate being stressed, especially over things I know won't even matter once college is over. I think it's worse now because for the past two years I've been in cruise mode, and now, all of a sudden, all of these assignments are due at once and I have to actually work to keep from failing my classes. So it's sort of like a culture shock along with an increased workload.

Bad, basically. XD

Rosey Unicorn: I love wacky people! I'm pretty insane myself. :D

I browsed through some of groups last night, but I only really went through the most popular ones at the top, so I'll have to go look through them again. ^^

I didn't want to slow time, I just wanted to make a little rock.
— MomoMajesty's brother