z

Young Writers Society

Hello

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:18 pm
Korisan says...

:) Hi everyboby!

I'm new here. I joined at the urging of my friend ClimberSquirrel. I am also well acquainted with Kyte's work.

I've always wanted to write, but I never thought I was good at it. I'm pretty good at the formal letter and technical stuff I need for work, but I'd like to try my hand at creative writing.

Fair warning, I'm a logical mathematical sort. But I love a good fiction story. I was spoiled by reading the best first, Tolkein, Poul Anderson, Anne McCaffrey, etc.

I look forward to reading many wonderful works and learning from you all.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dremt of in your philosophies." - W.Shakespeare

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:36 pm
Demeter says...

Hello there, Korisan!

Welcome to YWS! It's always nice to meet up with new, uh, faces. I'm Demeter, one of the Instructors here (check the purple name).

To read the rules, go here.

No worries about writing, YWS is the best place for improvement.

PM me with any questions, and have fun.

Demeter
xxx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:40 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

Yay! A Tolkien lover! *hands cookie*
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:20 pm
Rosendorn says...

To slim down the rules and get you ready to hop right into YWS, here are the main ones:

Review two works before posing any of your own. This is the 2:1 ratio rule, and it's asked you keep that ratio at all times.
Cut the chats-speak. That means proper spelling, abbreviations and caps. You can use some abbreviations (phrase abbreviations) and talk like your characters, just don't overdo it.

Technical-minded people and grammar freaks are not out of the ordinary here. We do have a Non-Fiction forum, for those who want help on essays and the like, but it's great that you want to try your hand at more stuff!

Hmm, you have answered several questions that normally get asked. Any hobbies besides writing?

To clear up the coloured names:

Blue- Greeter. Our job is to make you feel welcome here! So if you have any basic questions ask one of us.
Purple- It's their job to give you in-depth critiques. That's a nice way of saying it's their job to tear your work up. They will tone down their stuff if you ask, but they are the ones to go to if you want your work looked at line-by-line.
Light green- Jr. Mods. They have mod powers in some forums. You can ask them more advanced questions ask them.
Mods- They take care of most nit-picky things on the site like making sure people follow the rules. More advanced questions can also be directed to them.
Red- Admins. They keep the site up and running technically.

If you need anything, feel free to PM me.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:03 am
Night Mistress says...

Hey,

Welcome to YWS.

so from the authors that you have listed, I take it you like fantasy? is that what you are planing on writing? there are plenty of usergroup that are fantasy base. I am starting to dip into that area myself.

So what are you favorite books?

Well, if you ever need anything, feel free to pm me.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:32 am
WaterVyper says...

As pointed out before, I suppose you like fantasy. Well, fantasy is one of the more popular genres here so I don't think you'll have a problem with that. Many of the fantasy stories there are very good, so I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Logical mathematical? I doubt that you'll stand out a lot (sorry if you planned to!) I know quite a few people here who are like that, mostly in the non-fiction forum. Well, I'd love to see your works. See you soon!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:42 am
Griffinkeeper says...

A math guy? Cool!

Creative writing can be difficult, it helps if you're used to asking "What if..." questions.

Like... What if my keyboard suddenly turned into a gigantic jelly monster and tried to eat my fingers?

Of course, not all ideas are good ideas, but with a little practice you can learn to guide that creativity.

What if I was writing this inside an aquarium? Why would I be in an aquarium? Maybe I'm looking for something. Maybe I'm looking for Atlantis! Why am I in an Aquarium again? To see my best friend, who is the head of the Aquarium and has a deep sea submersible!

See? A completely stupid starting point can lead to an exciting plot discovery.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:37 am
Sare Agama says...

Hi! Glad you joined, Korisan. :D

Oh, and Griffen? She's a math girl. I should know; she's my math tutor.
Your monthly Bible quote: "Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are decietful." Proverbs 27:6

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:47 am
Griffinkeeper says...

A math gal! Who's a tutor? Awesomer!
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

Well, if I can't get this chapter to work....at least I will have exercised my fingers.
— Kaia