z

Young Writers Society

Hey, Hi, Yo.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:17 pm
DeeLoli says...

Hi,

It's nice to meet you, DeeLoli, 18 years old and inspiring to write and maybe (hopefully) publish whatever it is my mind comes up with. I'm in university, not studying anything remotely close to creative writing or anything.. I'm hopeless really. Oh, I got to meet Philip Pullman, one of my favourite writers (he signed my copy of the Amber Spyglass) nice man. Hmm, don't really know what else to say. I speak and read French, but I don't write it. I'm also learning Japanese (so much fun).

I enjoy reading both fiction and non fiction and everything in between so I'm not really fussy, so long as the book catches my attention within the first chapter. I don't like having to wait to be pulled in. Unfortunately I'm really indecisive so I'm bad at keeping to a plot, I'm working on that.

Anywho, I got the jist of the rules, review before posting, no chat speak (I detest chat speak :roll: and I that aren't capital), respect and so on and so forth. So, I hope I can have fun with you, creating worlds beyond.

~DeeLoli :D

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:40 pm
Demeter says...

Hi there DeeLoli,

and welcome to YWS! It's indeed nice to meet you, I'm Demeter. *waves*

Wow, you've met Philip Pullman? Sweet! I'm not really a fan of his, but it sounds cool all the same. :D

So, you like languages? So do I! I also speak some French, but I'm better at writing it. And I don't read it at all, I'm not yet good enough.

You detest chatspeak. Awesome, we're going to love you! ;)

Well, I hope you have fun here, and see you around! Also, don't hesitate to PM me on anything anytime!

Demeter
xxx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:05 pm
Rosendorn says...

Wonderful that you've read the rules!

Ah, French. I can speak it, but I have a rather hard time reading it and do not ask me to write in it. Strange, since English is technically my second language.....

What other authors do you like besides Phil Pulman? And any favourite books other then His Dark Materials trilogy?

If you need anything, reviews included, feel free to PM me.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

208 Reviews

Reviews: 208
Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:18 pm
Merry_Haven says...

*DeeLoli~

Hey! Welcome. :D It's really cool to see another eighteen year old on this site. I never really see a lot of them. It's most of the youngsters.

Do you take anything fun in college? Anything close to interesting as creative writing? That's what I like to take in college. That and/or History.

Well...I took German for about a year and a half when I was a freshman and sophomore. The class was great, and (of course) you learned a lot about the cultures.

Yeah, I'm really bad at plot, too. But, I'm working on it. I'd usually start something, get all excited about it, then lose what the story was all about. Drives me crazy! :x

Well, it was cool to know a little about you. If you ever wanna chat, feel free to do so. See you around!

*Merry
Mary had a little lamb. Little lamb. Little lamb!

Ugh!! I really hate my name. >.<

Random avatar

Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:47 pm
DeeLoli says...

I like Lian Hearn's Tales of the Otori, especially the first book, Across the nightingale floor. I'd highly recommend it. I'm also a big fan of St Exupery's Le Petit Prince (childhood favourite). Pride and Prejudice is an easy favourite as well as Les Miserables.

I can't help but read non-fictions, tragic tales of tragic childhoods style. So Ugly I've read, and my fair share of Torey Hayden books amongst others. And every now and then I indulge in romance novels and LGBT novels. Pretty Boy Dead is one of my favourites.

Nice to meet you Merry_Haven, if anything I'm taking a creative writing and introduction to publishing course this semester (I've just decided). Otherwise I take anthropology and Japanese. Japanese is a lot of fun, but I'm drowning in boredom in Anthropology. Some bits were interesting but the rest just didn't agree with me and my poor brain. I did archaeology last term (a bit too much fun, our professor really helped make it what it was as well) and sociology.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:18 pm
Rosendorn says...

Cool! I'm thinking of taking Journalism to try to break into the writing market. I want to be an editor thanks to this place. ^_^

What genre is Tales of the Otori, and what age bracket? It sounds interesting, but I'm not one for adult books.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:27 pm
Night Mistress says...

Hey,

Welcome to the YWS.

I'm in college too. i'm a freshman. What are you?

since no one has ask this, i will: What type of writing are you doing?

I offen indugle myself in Romance novel. In fact, they are really the only type of novel that i read.

well, i guess i should go. i don't want to chatter off your ear or should i say eyes?

if you need anything, feel free to pm me.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:55 am
Griffinkeeper says...

You sound like you might enjoy writing Romantic Fiction, or at least critiquing romantic fiction stories.

Be wary of English majors and Creative Writing majors. Not only are they weird, but they also glow in the dark if you whisper "Twinkletoes" three times fast.

Try it some time.

Welcome to YWS.

-Grif.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:22 am
WaterVyper says...

Hi DeeLoli! Nice to meet you. You're taking Japanese as well? How much do you know? University life sounds fun, but demanding too. Well, do you have any favorite sports? I like tae-kwon-do; no complicated rules about it. I find it hard to keep the plot too.

And yay! Another person who detests chatspeak. I have a feeling that you're going to be very welcome here. Meh, you're going to be welcome anyway. So, nice to meet you, and see ya around! Bye!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:25 am
Demeter says...

I love Pride & Prejudice, Les Misérables and Le Petit Prince, too :D
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

Random avatar

Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:20 pm
DeeLoli says...

Type of writing? I don't know if I have a specific type of writing. I probalby wouldn't touch cyber/futuristic type of stuff, I'm not so good at that. But fantasy, creating worlds, modern, romances, angst, school that sort of stuff, I love doing.

Haha, that twinkletoes thing is funny. I'll be wary of them.

As for my Japanese, I know the basics. Age, time, place, going coming back, restaurant, sentence structures. About 300 kanji (I swear it's so very evil), katakana, hiragana. The works. I love learning it, my teacher is so energetic it's hard not to learn anything. She also always brings some stuff back, last time she brough some hoshizuna, I desperately want some now.

I don't really have a favourite sport, I like badminton, but this semester I will be attempting either Kyudo or Kendo (Japanese archery or Japanese sword fighting) depending on the price.

I'm glad others lke Le petit prince, it's just always been one of my favourites. :)

Reviews: 3
Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:25 pm
Gabe_15 says...

Hey, sup
I like languages myself, I speak english, portuguesse, spanish and i'm learning japenese too.
Alright, peace man.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:03 am
LilyJamey says...

Hyeho! I'm Lily. Welcome to YWS, or as my friend optimistically stated, You Will Succumb.

You see, YWS is extremely addictive.

My brother is a linguist freak too. He's studying Dutch and French additionally, so I guess you could say he knows five languages.

Les Miserables is written as my favourite book on my profile. It's so sad that I must've cried half a dozen times while reading it. I had to skim through some heavy parts, though. Pride and Prejudice is a classic favourite, I love it too.

If and when you produce something, don't hesitate to ask for a critique from me. Except for poems - then you should definitely hesitate, since I'm a very much unpolished poetry critic.

Enjoy the site!

Cheers,
Lily.
Got YWS?

Veni, vidi, scripsi ~ I came, I saw, I wrote
— steampowered